Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wineport or Sheraton Athlone?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to take himself away for his birthday. Am trying to decide between the Wineport or Sheraton in Athlone. I'm leaning towards the Wineport, cos it looks lovely and relaxing, but as I'm sorta working from a budget I'm concerned that the restaurant looks a little pricey! Is it a long/ expensive trek into Athlone by taxi to a nice restaurant, or would I be better off booking in the town.

I'm not looking for somewhere close to pubs etc - for a change this will hopefully be a relaxing break, with nice food and the odd spa treatment. Any reviews on the spas in the two hotels?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Check if the Sheraton will still be open? Talk around town is that it is closing in the next few weeks until April. Not sure if its just the hotel or the whole building though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Wineport - Overpriced and pretentious, imo.
    Sheraton - can't comment on it.

For a nice meal, the Village restaurant in Glasson is consistantly good every time I've been there. Its about 10 mins by taxi from Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

gyppo wrote: »

For a nice meal, the Village restaurant in Glasson is consistantly good every time I've been there. Its about 10 mins by taxi from Athlone.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Can't really help as haven't stayed in any of them but the Wineport looks lovely, right on the lake, but it's out of town. Sheraton is central, and has a nice spa i believe.

Stayed in the Prince of Wales hotel once. It's central just like the Sheraton and Radisson. Have to say it was a lovely hotel to stay in as the bed was a king size! The pub is just below the hotel and also the nightclub (although you have to queue like everybody else to get in even if you're a guest! and the noise from it can be loud if you're trying to catch an early night!)

Hodson Bay can be nice too, but it's a good bit out of town but lovely location on the lake nda good leisure facilities.

Radisson has a nice location by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

OK while Im in the mood for dishing out advice heres my spoonful.I dont know about the Shearton....never been there.

Forget about wineport its overpriced,too far out,cost you a fortune in taxis.You need to be able to walk somewhere after the meal so Why dont you take a taxi into town........westside is best, for something different there a nice small romantic looking Lebonese restaurant in Bastion st.

Afterwards you can take a nice walk down by the river,and finish with a few jars in seans music 7 nights.

Can I come too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Only if you pay :-)

Thanks everyone. Lots of thinking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive eatten in the Sheraton resturant twice, great food and lovely hotel.

Eatten in the wineport once and couldnt fault it but expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

gyppo wrote: »

agree 100% on the wineport, pompous. No inhouse accomadation in the village restaurant but there's a lot of good B+Bs around glasson.
    Hodson bay hotel is another good bet nice restaurant, about €12 from athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

imho I've always liked Il Colloseo (sp) above The Quays and The Chalets out at Killinure is a gem if you are willing to travel a bit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

martin1 wrote: »
    you take a taxi into town........westside is best, for something different there a nice small romantic looking Lebonese restaurant in Bastion st.

Afterwards you can take a nice walk down by the river,and finish with a few jars in seans music 7 nights.

Can I come too ?

Only go to that Lebanese place if you are very adventurous with your Food.... If your fella wants a steak... Forget about it. Thyme (beside Gerties and used to be old olive grove is very nice and reasonable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Thanks everyone

Advertisement