Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey/Courtown area

Options
  • 04-01-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,
    I have been thinking of moving to the Gorey/Courtown area, I am 56 year old male, can anyone advise as to what kind of place it is to live in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I dont live up there and its been a while since i have been up there, but it is a touristy area during summer, so you get everything that goes with it! Crowds of dublin people coming down!

During winter would be alot quieter then i guess, theres some people on here from the area i think, they might be on soon and fill you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

Thanks timmeywex, hope they will accept a Cork man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

lb163 wrote: »
    Thanks timmeywex, hope they will accept a Cork man

I'd say 70% of people living in the Gorey/Courtown area are ex Dubs so you've no chance :)

Gorey is not a place I would choose myself but the surrounding area is quite nice. I live in Riverchapel and I've no regrets about moving. It can be very quiet in winter so you should investigate the clubs and societies for over 50's. A car is a must have unless you choose to live in Gorey as public transport, apart from taxis, is non existent. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nanor

I moved to Gorey town in July 2007 commuting to Dublin. I love Gorey. I'm on the outskirts with about a 20 min walk to the main street. There is a great selection of restaurants and some nice pubs. All that's missing really is a cinema but there's a modern one 15 mins drive away in Arklow. I guess it depends on what you're after. If you would like to be able to walk home from a pub in town then I don't think you can go wrong with one of the excellently built Cleary & Doyle houses in Clonattin Village. There are still some unsold so I'd say you could haggle a good bargain there, and they have a price freeze until 2010 so if they sell a similar house to yours for less they will pay you the difference. If you don't need to be within walking distance of the town then somewhere like Ballymoney or Tara Hill would be great although more expensive than Courtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

Thanks Nanor,
    I will be renting for awhile to get a feel for the place. How would the work situation be like around the area? I am a qualified electrician and I Might try to start up business in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I considered it for a while. Gorey is grand. A car would be necessary. Loads of pubs, Dunnes, Aldi and a Super Valu. Cinema in Arklow (10mins north on the by-pass). Not too far from Dublin. Nice beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

hows it goin I live in Ballymoney. with regards to courtown and gorey,stay away from courtown in the sense that there's not much there,very quiet and all the nearest supermarkets would be gorey,as previously said before Clonnattin Village or Ramsgate would be good because they are both a few mins walking distance of the town,ramsgate is next door to dunnes stores and the mall where as clonattin is on the way out to ballymoney,slightly further but thats a good thing aswell depending on how you look at it. theres alot in the town so the closer you are to the town the handier it will be transport wise.

pm me for more info if you want by the way

Advertisement