Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom One Map Updates and Map Share Corrections

Options
  • 04-01-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I realise there is a big thread already on TomTom Maps but didn't want to butt in or get lost in it, so I've just started this one in the hope to get one or 2 questions answered quickly....

I bought a TomTom One with European maps about 15 months ago. Very very happy with it. I have used it all over europe and with the free TYRE software available online, it is extremely easy to use.

I have never updated the maps on it yet, but I contribute to the Map Share Community and upload & download regularly.

My current Map is Western Europe v675.1409

Questions:

* Any idea how long after you submit a map correction is it shared with the community?

* On TomTome Home, there is an option to update your maps for €9.95/quarter. Is this a subscription service that you have to sign up to or can you just pay a one off €9.95 and get the latest maps? I'm guessing not..!!!

* If I click on the Map Update section on the bottom of TomTome Home, I get a window with map prices. The one for Western Europe costs €59.95
    I then get a pop up window telling me my maps are 6 quarters out of date. However I am being told that I can get up to date for €39.80 (which I presume is 4x€9.95)
    Can anyone explain the differences to me and why they are priced different?

* Also the latest one off map purchase is at Version 815.2024. Would anyone know is there many significant changes since v675? I have noticed on google earth since I bought my TT, that my sis's house in Cork is now showing and the road up to it, but its not on my TT. I'm guessing there has been a lot of rural updates to Teleatlas in the last 12 months?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

AFAIK because the European maps are so large they can't show some of the smaller roads because of space restrictions. I've a ROI+UK map and get all the smaller regional roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

AFAIK because the European maps are so large they can't show some of the smaller roads because of space restrictions. I've a ROI+UK map and get all the smaller regional roads.

from what I am led to believe, the latest map on google earth is what the latest Teleatlas map is. This was reflected in what was showing on google earth when I bought my TT. It looked identical the roads showing.

However, when Teleatlas updated during the year, the area around cork where my sis lives was now clear and you could see her house & road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Hi Lex,

I would have to check with our office in Amsterdam with regards to the map options as the offers vary from time to time. I will request an updated list of prices, offers etc and let you know the difference.

With regards to Map corrections, they generally need to be uploaded by a couple of users and then verified before they are available via TT Home.

There would be a lot of changes since your purchase - there are new releases every 3 months, this doesn't mean there are huge changes for Ireland on each release but certainly a lot since your version. I am trying to get more specific information at present in relation to actual detail on new map releases, please bear with me though as it does take time!

Hope this kinda helps, I know a bit vague at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Are you saying that the UK+ROI map has more information on it than the ones that come on the Europe map ?? If thats the case I will be looking for a freebie from Tomtom !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Are you saying that the UK+ROI map has more information on it than the ones that come on the Europe map ?? If thats the case I will be looking for a freebie from Tomtom !!

I'd have to agree...can't see there being more info on the smaller region map to be honest
    it would be interesting to see the difference in file size between the 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have a Tom Tom One XL with the European maps. Im on the 9.95 a quarter scheme and get all the maps update.

I think the €40 bit is to bring you up to date.

The only downside with the updates is that some of the map corrections you submitted on previous maps will have to be resubmitted again on the new maps.

You can set your device to pick up new corrections depending on certain criteria. I have mine to pick up corrections from TomTom or from trusted sources. But you can select corrections "submitted by many" or "by few", or something to that effect.

Advertisement