Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flicker on 37" Philips LCD TV

Options
  • 04-01-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought this tv on the 30th November from Harvey Normans. Since then a slight flicker happens on the television every 30-60 seconds, maybe longer sometimes. I've noticed it happens alot on darker scenes. I've contacted Harvey normans about the issue and they have said to bring in the tv for testing. They said this will take a week or two! In this time I have no other tv. I mentioned this and they said it's policy. Have I any options here at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nope, they are under no obligation to provide a replacement for the time. The only chance you got is to argue for either your money back (and hence buy a new one) or a replacement; don't expect HN to agreeing to either at this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Nody wrote: »
    Nope, they are under no obligation to provide a replacement for the time. The only chance you got is to argue for either your money back (and hence buy a new one) or a replacement; don't expect HN to agreeing to either at this stage though.

thanks Nody ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it might be quicker to contact philips directly.
    youre within your rights to go via HN, but they are probably just going to send it philips anyway.

at least philips will send an engineer to you or, at the very least, send someone to pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

hat do you mean by flicker? I think i might have the same TV as you My 37" TV

The TV tends to get brighter in darker scenes so you can see whats happening but if it immediatly changes to a bright scene the brightness will auto adjust! Is that what you talking about or is it something different?

Hogzy wrote: »
    hat do you mean by flicker? I think i might have the same TV as you My 37" TV

The TV tends to get brighter in darker scenes so you can see whats happening but if it immediatly changes to a bright scene the brightness will auto adjust! Is that what you talking about or is it something different?

Hi Hogzy

My one is the 37PFL3403D 37" LCD. I think you may be right. It looks like a flicker as the brightness changes. It's very annoying. I've downloaded the latest firmware for it on the Philips website (02122008) that does the following:

Q522E_0.64.70.1

• Contrast variation seen on the screen when sudden change in picture
    brightness level when Dynamic contrast feature is switched OFF.

I just put it on a memory stick and inserted into the tv and the tv updated itself. So hopefully this will sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hi Hogzy

My one is the 37PFL3403D 37" LCD. I think you may be right. It looks like a flicker as the brightness changes. It's very annoying. I've downloaded the latest firmware for it on the Philips website (02122008) that does the following:

Q522E_0.64.70.1

• Contrast variation seen on the screen when sudden change in picture
    brightness level when Dynamic contrast feature is switched OFF.

I just put it on a memory stick and inserted into the tv and the tv updated itself. So hopefully this will sort it out.

Wow didnt know you could download firmware for TVs now. Ha cool. god the net is revolutionising hardware!let me know how ya get on

Wow didnt know you could download firmware for TVs now. Ha cool. god the net is revolutionising hardware!let me know how ya get on

The flicker has been fixed by the update. Check your PM ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You can telnet into some too.

Advertisement