Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers

Options
  • 04-01-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

My interest in photography has been encouraged by a love of flowers and botany.

Even when choosing a new lens, the apo macro system in Sigma was the deciding factor.

Are there many flower experts here?

Julie Ardery has a very varied site called the
    Human Flower Project.

Well worth a look.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It's worth mentioning that if you join Frappr there is a photo upload allowance along with the option to make maps to embed on one's blog.

Here's and example:

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2792121&pid=7187923&myphotos=1

Since many Frappr members organise themselves according to interests and themes, it's a useful way to see a wide variety of photographic work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

flowers and swans....two area i hope never to need go into.....shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

nothing wrong with flowers ...

1643315364_94c3f45ae7.jpg

or swans ...

1696478400_bc036ff656.jpg

in moderation of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Here's two I was happy with, or at least I found interesting, ie. especially the light : C&C welcome so that I may improve my flower shots:

196C82EE8EE643769DD7D59F01EF0304-500.jpg

F6E07982C5A5464D9748B14A237158BE-500.jpg

There's a bit of a knack in capturing the way light bounces off each species. This is often what makes one flower very different from another and is worth studying.

I like the golden flowers very much. Just angling the camera along the petals, rather than trying to present the flower simply for shape and position in relation to other flowers will bring some differences.

Photographing flowers after rain is one way of getting some very beautiful images.

• Advertisement

The black and white wilted rudbeckia is very good.

These "momento mori" type images used to be very fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

flowers and swans....two area i hope never to need go into.....shudder

now now flower macros can be interesting as they sometimes show up structures in the plants that are not obvious to the naked eye. I agree with you on the swan issue they are the sunset of the avian world (you really only shoot them when you have nothing else to photograph). there are some nice photos of swans and sunsets but they tend to get pretty boring my flickr is full of them.

Anouilh wrote: »
    The black and white wilted rudbeckia is very good.

These "momento mori" type images used to be very fashionable.

Rudbeckia eh ? Duly tagged :D My parents would of course probably know what these are, For a while when I was a kid every plant in our garden was tagged with ID. I didn't find it odd at the time ...

In my case I couldn't care less. I just shoot them because they catch my eye for whatever reason. It simply wouldn't do to become a DOCUMENTARY photographer or something :-)

@morrisseeee nice shots, the gradient of shade across the petals of the flower is quite lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Thanks, It was taken with the 'mighty' humble 14-42mm lens at 42mm, ie. when the lens is at 42mm it seems to produce lovely/interesting macros !

Tips on focal length might be shared?

The kit lens with the Canon EOS 400D takes good flower shots and it is not as soft as many of the critics claim.

F11 upwards improves the work considerably.

• Advertisement

This could be a thread for

"A Flower a Day".2848379176_20099d3e3e_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I went through a flower phase when I got my 150mm macro lens. The first shot was taken using a macro, the rest were with my 24-70. I have tons more but I wont bore you with them lol

309454410_bac9db88da.jpg

582192766_c8be916cdb.jpg581867364_40c7145839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I like flower macro photography...there's so much to see up close that is generally not appreciated from afar.

2051337408_c66d471013.jpg

2469975213_40370186d5.jpg

2484518092_c9fd70bb8e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I have the Sigma 105 macro and have taken quite a few flower shots. I'm actually heading over to Keukenhof end of March this year for the Tulips.

1200450071_5d9a3b452b.jpg

482377960_8a7e3e4bd6.jpg

Oh and if you're looking for some AMAZING flower macros look no further than Elven.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

as far as I know - those sigma APO zoom lenses are not proper macro lenses at all. - certainly the one i have isn't a proper macro lens anyway. (70-300 'macro')

a proper macro should have a magnification of 1:1 i think - whereas the 'macro' lens i have is about 1:3.5 or maybe even 1:4.5

Sometimes a welcome visitor can liven things up.2483442107_3b171863c5.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2483442107/

For anybody interested in the technicalities of using the macro feature in the Sigma DG apo macro, 70-300mm, I discussed this quite a bit with Wishiwerebaking on my Flickr site in Spring and early Summer, when the light levels for flower macros are very good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/photographedublin/?page=12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

*blushes*

I don't care about whether my macros are 1:1 or not, though... macro seems to be a label that just gets applied randomly to close flower shots.

I think flowers have character and it's only when you get in close that you start to see it. I think good flower photography shows you something of that character, so that you appreciate looking at the picture rather than looking at the flower itself.

Here's a couple oldies i dug out of the archives, they might be a bit dusty ;)

2690525998_35f9c21463.jpg 2224506242_d6d09689fb.jpg

What lens do you use, Elven.

Macro covers a wide range of magnified images.

This is my lens:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

It helps to use a tripod.

I use the canon 100mm f2.8, usually wide open.

Tripods ftl. I lose my mojo if i'm stuck with one.

Pbase is a good place to compare and contrast.

This gives random photos taken with the Sigma:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/70-300_45-56_apo_dg_macro

This photographer has a remarkable gallery using the Canon:

http://www.pbase.com/catson/canon_100mm_f28_macro

The lenses are very different.

• Advertisement

What lens do you use, Elven.

Macro covers a wide range of magnified images.

This is my lens:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

It helps to use a tripod.

welll, technically macro is anything 1:1 and greater. The term is widely abused though, even by lens manufacturers who seem to bung it onto any old lens that can focus closer than 6 feet (yes I'm looking at you, sigma ... )

welll, technically macro is anything 1:1 and greater. The term is widely abused though, even by lens manufacturers who seem to bung it onto any old lens that can focus closer than 6 feet (yes I'm looking at you, sigma ... )

Guilty, as charged...

Of course the two lenses are very different, one's a prime and one's a zoom, and one only goes to f4.5...

I'll use whatever lens i have in my hands tbh, given that it can open up to something like f2.8. I likes my candy floss bokeh :) The 135 f2 is looovely for the smooth glowy oof bits though, and it isn't a 'macro' lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Love the crocosmia elven! The thing i like about flowers and plants it that they're always around and you don't have to get travel far to come across something interesting. Its nice to find an interesting angle or as Anouilh says the occasional visitor. I'm stuck on the Canon EF-s 60mm often wonder if I shouls have gone the extra 100 quid or so and got the 100mm

2840854478_1de074c99d.jpg

I love B&W flower photography.

Just found a photo taken with my Fuji Finepix before it collapsed:

OrangePoppyMedium.jpg

I love B&W flower photography.

Excellent :-) , here's another couple for you so ...

543088858_9e6e07d6ca.jpg

544659589_f7f9411579.jpg

They are fabulous.

Guidance on how you made them would be welcome, if you could find a moment to share.

as far as I know - those sigma APO zoom lenses are not proper macro lenses at all. - certainly the one i have isn't a proper macro lens anyway. (70-300 'macro')

a proper macro should have a magnification of 1:1 i think - whereas the 'macro' lens i have is about 1:3.5 or maybe even 1:4.5

Extension tubes are the answer:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=266596&page=6

They are fabulous.

Guidance on how you made them would be welcome, if you could find a moment to share.

well they were shot using my F4 with a shiny new SB-26 I'd just acquired (flash). Hence the B&W, because I could dev it myself quite quickly. Delta 400 developed in ilfosol. From the time they were taken I would say that I took them almost certainly with my 50mm, but they could be using an extension tube or a macro bellows, I can't remember which. Most likely the extension tube though. Much more convenient ...

not much more too say. I think I may have misted the rose before taking the shot for the water drops though :D

• Advertisement

Excellent ideas there. I didn't need to mist my flowers last Summer. I have a fine collection of rain-drenched blossoms on record, thanks to the poor weather.

It's worth sharing the Hive Mind seach system.

This is what I got by searching for

sooc flowers

http://fiveprime.org/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?search_domain=Tags&textinput=sooc+flowers&search_type=Search+Tags&photo_number=100&photo_type=100&sort=Interestingness&page=1&tag_mode=any

Advertisement