Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a UK car in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Thought I'd query the boardsies before I start quizzing insurance companies.

My car is off the road (bang smoke etc etc - don't ask) and as I'll likely be returning to live in NI in 6 months or less, I'm intending borrowing a car of my dad's for that period until I have an address in NI again and buy myself another motor.

In the event I borrow a car of my dads, the car will remain taxed in the UK legitimately and remain under his name. But as the car will be stored at an RoI address and the majority of motoring will be done here, I want to make sure that I'm insured. Will an Irish insurer allow me to take out a policy in my name with the car on UK plates?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, they only give you 21 days cover to change it over to Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Explain the situation to them, try calling other insurance companies and ask them! AFAIK its at the discretion of the insurance company whether they wanna insure you or not on uk plates

Advertisement