Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motors Trivia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paranoid

Hispano Suiza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Luke Crowley

Damn, I thought I was going to be really clever by saying Hispano Suiza, but I was beaten to it!

Ok, Enzo Ferrari didn't build his first car until 1940, so what vehicle did the Prancing Horse logo appear on during World War I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It wasn't his FIAT racing car, was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Damn, I thought I was going to be really clever by saying Hispano Suiza, but I was beaten to it!

Ok, Enzo Ferrari didn't build his first car until 1940, so what vehicle did the Prancing Horse logo appear on during World War I?
    Was it some tractor??? :D:D

but43r wrote: »
    Was it some tractor??? :D:D
    That was Lamborghini (and Porsche).;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fighter planes

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fighter planes

Be more specific...

Italian fighter planes? I know there's a national hero fighter pilot who used that prancing horse logo on all his squads planes, but I can't remember who he was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

AFAIK the prancing horse emblem was first used by Enzo in the 20's when he was racing for Alfa.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    AFAIK the prancing horse emblem was first used by Enzo in the 20's when he was racing for Alfa.
    Actually you're right - he did race for Alfa, not FIAT.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Italian fighter planes? I know there's a national hero fighter pilot who used that prancing horse logo on all his squads planes, but I can't remember who he was!

The fighter pilots mother presented the Prancing horse emblem to Ferrari when he won a race at Alfa in the 20s, he put it together with the yellow shield which I believe is the color of Modena, with the Italian colours across the top.
    I have a couple of biography's of Ferrari with this story in it. Can't think of the pilots name either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

paranoid wrote: »
    Hispano Suiza?

Correctamundo, sorry for my tardiness!

cjt156 wrote: »
    Correctamundo, sorry for my tardiness!

I got the Swiss bit straight off; took a while for the other half.

Question - what are the sources of the designs of the BMW badge and grille?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Isn't it propellers and wings, or is that jus urban legend?

Isn't it propellers and wings, or is that jus urban legend?

propellers is right for the badge - I believe from the aero engines they made in WW1 - the grille is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

propellers is right for the badge

Are you sure?

Just looked up wikipedia ('cause I didn't know the answer:o) and thats not what they say.

Ferris wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Just looked up wikipedia ('cause I didn't know the answer:o) and thats not what they say.
    Its right according to Finding Forrester

Plus give me a few minutes and I can make wiki say whatever you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Are you sure?

Definately the badge is from propellors, without a doubt. I'm also fairly sure it harps back to the time when they made plane engines, before they made cars. But I still can't remember where the grille came from, I did read it before and can't rememeber.
    The BMW Propellors though are famous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

The name-change to Bayerische Motoren Werke compelled management to devise a new logo for the company, therefore the famous BMW trademark is designed and patented at this time. However, they remained true to the imagery of the previous Rapp Motorenwerke emblem (which was designed by Karl's brother, Ottmar Rapp). Thus, both the old and the new logo were built up in the same way: the company name was placed in a black circle, which was once again given a pictorial form by placing a symbol within it.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0000ff]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I The inner area of the Rapp logo was decorated with the head of a black horse – "Rappe" in German.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0000ff]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I By analogy with this, the blue and white panels of the Bavarian national flag were placed at the center of the BMW logo.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0000ff]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I Not until the late 1920s was the logo lent a new interpretation as representing a rotating propeller.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0000ff]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I The BMW Trademark, called a "roundel", was submitted for registration on the rolls of the Imperial Patent Office, and registered there with no. 221388 on 10 Dec 1917.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0000ff]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I The trade mark was intended for the following goods: "Land, air and seagoing vehicles, automobiles, bicycles, accessories for automobiles and bicycles, vehicle components, stationary engines for solid, liquid and gaseous fuels and their components and accessories".I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources#When_quoting_someone"][COLOR=#0000ff]cite this quote[/COLOR][/URL][/I

I know Wikipedia can be manipulated and wrong but I just thought i'd put it out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_BMW

I know Wikipedia can be manipulated and wrong but I just thought i'd put it out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_BMW

I think the official BMW website is a more reliable source that a wiki page in fairness

My answers are remembered from reading them many years ago.
    I'm glad to be supported by BMW on the badge; I hope my answer for the grille is less controversial.

BMW controversy kills thread?

BMW controversy kills thread?

Think we need a hint on the grille question! ;)

OK - it relates to motorbikes (in my version anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

OK - it relates to motorbikes (in my version anyway)

Is it supposed to represent the flat twin? Each side representing a cylinder or piston?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Is it supposed to represent the flat twin? Each side representing a cylinder or piston?

Correct - (good enough for me anyway).

Who can identify the make and model of the car this headlight comes from?
    72831.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

72831.jpg

Hmmm... Tough one... Any slight hints:p

Hmmm... Tough one... Any slight hints:p

It's a bit soon for hints, but it will take the keenest eye to spot it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

72831.jpg

Renault Clio?

eljono wrote: »
    Renault Clio?

Afraid not, but I see where you're coming from.

I'm stumped. As a small hint, could you tell us whether you can buy one in Ireland or not?

For the record, the fighter pilot whose name no-one could think of was Francesco Baracca.

Clue... The headlight was common to two cars which bore different names but were essentially coupe and roadster versions of the same car. Both were sold here.

Is it a pop-up light?

Is it a pop-up light?

No.

It's driving me mad. Fiat Barchetta keeps coming to mind but I looked one up and it's not. When you say the light was used in a coupe and roadster, were they both made by the same manufacturer?

Both the same manufacturer. There aren't many coupe / roadster combinations that were sold here where each model had a different name. You should nearly be able to guess it from the clues without looking at the picture.

Is it an Alfa GTV/Spyder, taken with the bonnet open?

Is it an Alfa GTV/Spyder, taken with the bonnet open?

Spot on. It was a dirty one.

• Advertisement

Here's the pic I cropped for the question in case anyone is surprised that the lighs are a single unit rather than the twin lights they appear to be.
    72869.jpg

Jeez, that was sneaky! Ok, here's a (hopefully) more straightforward one: Folding metal hardtops are all the rage today, but what was the first production car to come with one (non-manually operated)?

Jeez, that was sneaky! Ok, here's a (hopefully) more straightforward one: Folding metal hardtops are all the rage today, but what was the first production car to come with one (non-manually operated)?

I did give good clues ;). Was it the SLK?

Here's the pic I cropped for the question in case anyone is surprised that the lighs are a single unit rather than the twin lights they appear to be.
    72869.jpg

Haha, good one! It was driving me mad! Ya, I'm surprised alright that the headlamp is one pice but I suppose it makes sense.

Re The new question; there was a Peugeot with a folding metal roof years ago. Maybe in the 40's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Fair play alias, wouldn't of gotten that for the life of me:D

I did give good clues ;). Was it the SLK?

Nope. ;)

Re The new question; there was a Peugeot with a folding metal roof years ago. Maybe in the 40's?

Yep, that's definately right. can't remember which one it was though :(

Yep, that's definately right. can't remember which one it was though :(

Wikipedia is your friend...

Must resist....

• Advertisement

Was done in the States way before the French on a Hudson.

Advertisement