Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Drinking Coolant

Options
  • 04-01-2009 4:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Checked my levels today and noticed my coolant is pure empty after filling it up roughly a month ago or less. Its not leaking as I have checked a few times and my bro told me the head gasket is gone he thinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ya would know if the head gasket was blowing because the car would have crap performance etc, does it? Start it up and look under the bonnet and listen out.

There must be a leak somewhere, get a flash lamp and have a look, watch out for pink stains on the engine block, wet pipes etc.
    What car is it btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Thats not completely true. I did the head gasket on my tdi and had no loss of power. Also no milky coloured oil or any of the telltail signs. Just that it was drinking coolant.
    Try topping up your coolant and then leave the cap off while the engine is cold and have someone check if there are bubbles appearing in the top of it. Pretty good sign its your head gasket then.
    Check under your water pump too for leaks, could also be the problem...you hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Use your nose - sometimes a leaking head gasket will give sweet-smelling exhaust emissions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

DaMonk wrote: »
    Thats not completely true. I did the head gasket on my tdi and had no loss of power. Also no milky coloured oil or any of the telltail signs. Just that it was drinking coolant.
    Try topping up your coolant and then leave the cap off while the engine is cold and have someone check if there are bubbles appearing in the top of it. Pretty good sign its your head gasket then.
    Check under your water pump too for leaks, could also be the problem...you hope.

I will try that tomoro.

Also, how much would it cost to get it fixed/replacement? The car is a 98 Nissan Almera 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'd hazard a guess water pumps fooked my 95 primera started losing coolant when that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I will try that tomoro.

Also, how much would it cost to get it fixed/replacement? The car is a 98 Nissan Almera 1.4
    I never mentioned that the bubbles will be noticeable when the engine is revved.
    If you know somebody that knows a mechanic that'll do it out his back yard then thats what I did and saved about 500 and got a great job done. You're talking 600+ easily anyway. I got head gasket, full service, timing belt, water pump and full check over for 250. I think he repaired some tappets as well while under there! Cant remember what the parts cost me though.
    Whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

good chance it could be a simple thermostat sticking making it boil out yer coolant thru the overflow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I have a 2002 MG ZS and the Head Gasket has gone twice on it. Both times the first sign was that the coolant started disappearing. Firstly, I might have to top it up once a month... then once a week etc etc etc....

It's been fine now for about two years but I wouldn't be surprised if it's starting again. I had to top up there in late November and had to do it again there this morning. If it is the head gasket again, I'm not doing it. I'll scrap it instead. It can go and shoite for itself. I need to get myself a diesel anyway. It's a pity because it's a lovely car to drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Thats horrible. Better not happen to myself haha.
    DaMonk: ya we did the revving. Luckily my uncles a mechanic and he said he would do it for me if I needed it to get done but he suspects its the water pumps.
    I'd hazard a guess water pumps fooked my 95 primera started losing coolant when that happened.

Took it to a mechanic today and he said that. We checked for the bubbles etc and nothing. So he said he suspects its the water pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I have a 06 Astra GTC and have the same problem.

It's been in the main dealers 3 times since October....no sign of a leak, head gasket fine, replaced coolant tank and it's still going through a bottle every 2 weeks.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement