Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of weapons are these

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, Al Qaeda....

And this justifies everything? (I disagree with you)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

And this justifies everything? (I disagree with you)

It justifies Israel protecting itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It justifies Israel protecting itself.

Not only was Israel protecting itself, it was also re-pricing the labels!.

In the last few weeks Israel has made sure every Arab neighbour know's there is a very, VERY expensive price to pay for attacking Israeli citizens.

Not only that, but Israel showed us in the last three weeks just what war really is, a very nasty, ugly & dirty business.

In recent years the USA has tried to make war 'clean', talking about 'surgical strikes' etc, it has not worked and the USA has received a very bloody nose for it.

Personally I think the Israeli's were very cleaver in their timing with this operation.

It struck at Christmas when the Christen world (USA) had its eye off the ball, and wrapped it up for the Obama inauguration, again when the world had its eye off the ball (in regards to civilian casualties in Gaza).

In human terms it (the operation) was very costly to the Palestinians, it redefined the cost of attacking Israel.

Will it work in creating a lasting peace, I doubt it as I truely believe Palestinian terrier groups are as thick as donkey sh*t. But maybe (hopefully) the Palestinian people won't be in such a hurry to elect a terrorist government to represent their aim's again.

And I hope this is never visited upon the Palestinian people every again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mairt wrote: »
    Not only was Israel protecting itself, it was also re-pricing the labels!.

In the last few weeks Israel has made sure every Arab neighbour know's there is a very, VERY expensive price to pay for attacking Israeli citizens.

Not only that, but Israel showed us in the last three weeks just what war really is, a very nasty, ugly & dirty business.

In recent years the USA has tried to make war 'clean', talking about 'surgical strikes' etc, it has not worked and the USA has received a very bloody nose for it.

Agree here. Whatever the short term aims were,the strategic aim was to show the Arab world not to mess with Israel. The attack in Lebanon in 2006 undermined the reputation of the IDF. Operation Cast Lead has shown what they will do if provoked. Like Dresden in 1945 this was deliberate overkill as a show of force. (And as a footnote, it was a frontline testbed for the newly introduced Tavor assault rifle,saw some troops on TV with it)

After Gaza and the airstrikes last year,if you were Syria would you want them attacking you?

The poor Palestinians are merely pawn in the Realpolitik of the MiddleEast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Pretty sure I saw a few Tavors in 06, but not on the same scale of issue.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Pretty sure I saw a few Tavors in 06, but not on the same scale of issue.
    See that....the military training increased his powers of observation..........

I did read that the IDF were introducing it to new troops first rather than re-training current troops on it. Perhaps a few well connected officers in 2006 got hold of a few for testing and show off factor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Personally I think the Israeli's were very cleaver in their timing with this operation.

An apt slip of the tongue there! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaver_(knife)
    In human terms it (the operation) was very costly to the Palestinians, it redefined the cost of attacking Israel.

Indeed. Most likely the analysis that the Israeli military would put on the situation.

It also indoctrinated a whole new generation of young people, leading them to believe that the lives of Muslims are wholly inconsequential to Israel and it's Western 'backers'.

It polarises both sides.

The debacle in Lebanon is painted as some saintly Israeli operation that went wrong because the IDF showed too much restraint. And exorcising the ghosts of a botched military job, and the perceived price paid in prestige, by brutalising a million and a half civilians and killing hundreds of children is, in my opinion, self defeating in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Bramble wrote: »
    See that....the military training increased his powers of observation..........

I did read that the IDF were introducing it to new troops first rather than re-training current troops on it. Perhaps a few well connected officers in 2006 got hold of a few for testing and show off factor

the Givati uses the Tavor they had them in summer rains in 2006 and were using them in Cast lead

A little trivia now, but IMI also supplied the Tavour to India special forces units.

010308israel1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I have the same jumper in my wardrobe - never realised how gucci it was.....

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    I have the same jumper in my wardrobe - never realised how gucci it was.....

That guy probably bought his off a Mingey man in Irishbatt!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

Sky News is reporting on the use of WP shells against largely civilian areas and Isreal isn't getting painted in a very good light. For Sky to do that the evidence must be pretty damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Hmmm, Smokescreens my Arse.

Hagar wrote: »

Sky News is reporting on the use of WP shells against largely civilian areas and Isreal isn't getting painted in a very good light. For Sky to do that the evidence must be pretty damning.

But you must have missed where they acknowledged that IDF personnel are fully accountable for their actions and have been convicted and jailed in the past for when found guilty of a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

This is the latest statement from the Red Cross re WP
    According to widespread media reports, images and analysis from credible experts, phosphorous weapons have been used in the conflict.
    If ICRC delegates in the field gather credible and precise evidence of violations, or if ICRC medical personnel corroborate reports by others, the ICRC would begin by discussing this with the party concerned – rather than speaking publicly – in keeping with our standard practices. We have not commented publicly on the legality of the current use of phosphorous weapons by Israel, contrary to what has been attributed to us in recent media reports.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/weapons-interview-170109

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hagar wrote: »

Hmmm John Snow admitted to Mark Regev on the channel 4 news on thursday that Israel wasn't actually in breach of international law by using wp and for channel four to say something in Israels favour is unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But you must have missed where they acknowledged that IDF personnel are fully accountable for their actions and have been convicted and jailed in the past for when found guilty of a crime.
    BBC wrote:
    Any Israeli soldiers accused of war crimes in the Gaza Strip will be given state protection from prosecution overseas, the country's PM has said.

Ehud Olmert said troops should know Israel would keep them safe after they acted to protect their country.
    Link

What an unusual statement to make.
    Now why did the PM feel the need to make a public announcement like that I wonder?

Hagar the Israeli's have a very deep mistrust of outsider's, his statement doesn't surprise me in the least.

From my experience in Lebanon, and from talking to friends in Israel I know that Israeli troops are often held accountable for their actions.

Israel also paid war reparations to Lebanon after the 2001 war, but I don't know what the situation is regarding war reparations to Gaza.

Tbh, I doubt that will happen as it would be seen (I think) as funding a terrorist government (Hamas).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Don't forget there's an election in a couple of weeks. So war crimes or not, no politician is going to say yes the soldiers should be punished.

Advertisement