Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen replacement needed for 3G iphone - help please!

• 04-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi folks

Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone in Dublin who can replace the glass screen of a 3G iphone? I dropped mine over Christmas and the glass shattered badly but the phone is functioning perfectly.

I'd really appreciate a little guidance.

Cheers

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

42 views and no tips?!?!?!

Come on kids, throw me a bone here, I'm desperate!

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

If you bought it through O2, either ring them up or Apple. Presuming it's still under warranty, they'll replace it. Not sure if they'll charge you or not; it would depend on whether dropping it is covered.
    Since you've come on here though, it's more likely you bought it through eBay or abroad and, if that's the case, you've met the biggest problem with buying them this way. I don't think anyone will be able to replace the screen for you as how would they get access to the replacement parts? Apple don't make these available to people.
    Either case, give Apple's customer care a ring and see what they say.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

o2 or apple don't replace screens if you drop and break them, why would they?? If you have insurance you can claim on that.

If not, you have a couple of options. Parts are easily available to buy online.

get on to applecare and pay to have it fixed ~ €250 think is miniumum charge

Buy a full replacement touchscreen and lcd ~ $250 refurbished.

Relatively easy replacement job.

If just the touchscreen is broken, you can buy a new one for around €60
    and replace it yourself. This is difficult. I recently did one.

The touchscreen is glued/taped to the plastic part the contains speaker
    and home button getting them apart requires
    a heat gun and a lot of effort which can warp the plastic and be difficult
    to put back together with new screen.

ifixit have the best how to but their price is a little high.

Here is what the one I finally got off looked like..

y412yn37wqg45moxf5ao.jpg

Advertisement