Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble getting the back to ed grant?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello,

I've been here before, on behalf of my brother and thats why I'm here again.

For the last 3 years he has been refused his back to education grant, and its been on the grounds that he didn't live in ireland on the 1st of october 2005

now he recieved another letter telling him, him he is not entitled to the grant due to what is stated under clause 4 of the terms and conditions of the back to education grant. this how ever states "1st of October 2007" which is not what any of my brothers letters said...

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around it?
    I too am in college and not entitled to a grant, but my parents can support me, my brother however needs this grant, if anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation please help me out.

K

Comments

Hrm, I'm not too knowledgeable on the BTEA but it may be worth for him to ask his local Social Welfare office whether he would be able to appeal the decision to the Department of Education. You're allowed to do this for the 'normal' grant so I'd imagine there's an appeal mechanism in place.

If he gets in a bit of financial trouble during college tell him to keep in mind that there's the Student Assistance Fund which he can apply to for some funds. It's not massive and it shouldn't be relied on but he should of course keep it in mind just in case :)

Advertisement