Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing dogs to their lead and dogs in cars...advice needed please

Options
  • 04-01-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to start walking my 2 dogs (they're now fully vaccinated) but they are absolutely TERRIFIED of the lead, to the extent that they will drool with fear when they see it and once on the lead will go mad in a "fit-like" state until I remove it. I've tried just walking them to the end of the driveway, but it's just not happening. I've tried food bribes and lots of encouragement but they yelp and twist etc and I'm afraid they'll hurt themselves. I've tried taking them out individually and together - not sure what is best?

I also bring the 2 of them in the car a lot and they are TERRIFIED of this. I have special seatbelts for them and I'm not sure if they are comparing the lead to these and that's why they are terrified of the lead...

So 2 questions:
    - how to encourage them that the lead is a good thing :0) and
    - is there anything I can do to reduce their fear in the car....

Thanks a million,
    Trix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, with the lead thing, i would just try putting it on in the house first and not leading them with it at all, just clip it on for a few seconds, have you collars on them? how do they mind those?

Do they have a favourite toy or treat that they like? when you put on the lead, try distract them with the toy or treat, even if its only for a few seconds.

Try just clipping it on and letting them run around the house with the lead clipped on, thats what i did. Dont put any pressure on it yet until they get used to just having it clipped on first.
    Try playing a game with them too when its on, it needs to be fun experience for them.

What breed are they?
    Have you a crate you can put them in while in the car?

I would also maybe put them in the car with you and not actually go anywhere,at first dont have the engine on, and after a few times, have the engine running, again, toys and treats to distract them, make it fun, all these new experiences have to be fun for a puppy.
    Hope these help.

Short drives too, or else tire them out and then put them in the car so they just want to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

thanks Andreac - I'll try those suggestions :0)

Trix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor things, sounds like they had some really bad experiences with being walked before you got them :-(

Some good points there also perhaps try a dog behaviourist to help you out as well, they will come to the house and see how the dogs react for themselves and might be able to offer some more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd go with andreac - get them all excited in the house playing - put the lead on and give them treats and let them play with their favourite toys. Hopefully they'll just learn to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

Hi Trix.I had the same problems with my 6Mth old Collie.Whenever I was cleaning the Car I"d leave all the Doors open including the Booth I placed little treats hidden around [but not to hard to find] within 2 Weeks I could not keep him out,he associated the Car with "Good things".regarding the use of the Leash I"d decide which of the 2 Dogs is the easier to handle [ there has to be a Leader]concentrate on him/her you will find it easier training 1 dog it will take time but once the Leader begins to get use to the Leash the 2nd Dog will take note of the reactions of the Leader.If your Garden Area is enclosed make the Leash part of their Playtime attach it to their Collar but let them run loose with it for short periods rewarding them with a treat each time you remove it.When you are putting them into the Car I"d purchase a "Mesh Dog Guard" this way they can both see and hear you as your Driving along without being a danger to you.put their play Toys in the Booth with them and I"ve no doubt it wont be long before your all enjoying each others company.Just remember not to force them into doing anything.the little problems your having now will be nothing to what you will have if you turn them against you.Dogs have long Memories.Good Luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement