Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking about going for D liscense

Options
  • 04-01-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I being driving rigids for the last 6 months and i love driving but the long hours and hard work for not so great pay have me looking at other options

Im interested in becoming a bus/coach drivier

Could someone please recommend me a good school in which to do a course

And can anyone tell me is there much difference between an 18t rigid and a bus in terms of driving it would i pick it up easy enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

luckyfrank wrote: »
    can anyone tell me is there much difference between an 18t rigid and a bus in terms of driving it would i pick it up easy enough
    1. The bus loads and unloads itself.

2. The load in a truck doesn't give abuse or tell you how to drive or where to go, nor does it highlight any mistake you may have made.

3. Most buses tend to have automatic transmission.

4. Front wheels - in a truck they're either under you or in front of you. In a (modern) bus they are behind you and therefore give different turning characteristics.

5. Bus lanes!

6. In a truck you won't have the dreaded "driver's friend" - those lads who seem to think it's perfectably acceptable to stand/sit up at the front and talk sh*te during the journey.

Seriously though, anyone who drives a large rigid truck should have no problem driving a bus but it does require a different temperament and there is a greater level of responsibility. It also requires more consideration of passenger comfort especially when braking and accelerating.

Make sure you do lessons in a manual, otherwise you'll have a restricted licence and less employment oportunities (although, in saying that, most buses seem to be autos now).

I used to do a bit of work for a well known company and, as I was one of the few with an unrestricted licence, I always drew the short straw and got a manual bus - 2,500 gear changes during a shift! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

It's long hours on the buses, too, coupled with unsociable hours and shift work. If you work on private charters, you may well never know from day to day what hours you will be working or when you'll get home. You may also end up driving round the country, and spending four or six hours holed up somewhere, unpaid, perhaps trying to nap on the back seat, which, believe me, plays havoc with your health and your quality of life!

Stay on the trucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Surely if your with dublin bus or bus eireinn the most your allowed to drive for each day is 8 hours

Ive booked my theory test already so im guess im going for it

Most you can earn driving a rigid is probably 32k a year tops maybe after 3 or 4 years, driving a bus/coach im lead to believe can earn you up to 40k

Advertisement