Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commentators on their own teams

• 04-01-2009 6:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else think its a joke that pundits/commentators etc are allowed to commentate on the teams that they support. The love-in on Setanta right now is a joke. Paddy Crerand and that other bellend are sickening.

I cant think of the 2nd guys name but he always does United games and can never see any wrong. You can hear the delight in his voice when something goes well for United. He did the Liverpool game yesterday and came out with some ridiculous anti-pool comments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Same could be said for Ray Houghton on Pool games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I see no problem with it. There's no requirement to be impartial - just to opine.

Next you'll want to stop PHB and his cohorts posting on threads that feature Man U :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cruijff wrote: »

Is that a joke? He comes across more anti-Liverpool than any of the United boys.

Melion wrote: »
    Is that a joke? He comes across more anti-Liverpool than any of the United boys.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Anybody else think its a joke that pundits/commentators etc are allowed to commentate on the teams that they support. The love-in on Setanta right now is a joke. Paddy Crerand and that other bellend are sickening.

I cant think of the 2nd guys name but he always does United games and can never see any wrong. You can hear the delight in his voice when something goes well for United. He did the Liverpool game yesterday and came out with some ridiculous anti-pool comments.
    Definitely agree re Crerand. Stomach-churning. He should get a whistle and a set of ManU pom-poms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Think you'll find if anything Houghton is always finding fault with liverpool when he does their games. All the TV pundits and commentators do my head in. Wished they would just call it like in the 70's and 80's and not all this smart witty crap they try nowadays. I'm getting old me thinks :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its never both the commentators like that so it can be good to see both the neutral and the fan point of view, but they tend to often be embarassing for the team they support Stan Collymore talkes an awful load of bollocks when he commentates on every 5 villa game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lou Macari rarely sees games with his head planted so firmly up every united players arse!

Hang on this is turning into lets have a pop at ex united players and united.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Cant stand Crerand myself. Remember listening to him on MUTV in the past and my god he talked some crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What about the guy who did the Villa game on Setanta earlier? He was so biast towards Gillingham it was rediculous. Had to put on David Pleat instead on UTV:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Alan Green and Liverpool.

Emesis%20Bags%20copy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, I don't have a problem with the pundit being partial rather its the quality of thier punidtry I'd be more concerned about. The commentator should be absolutely neutral/impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Oh how I long for another Brian Moore. Now there was a commentator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

He did the Liverpool game yesterday and came out with some ridiculous anti-pool comments.

Like what?

apoch632 wrote: »
    I have to say I used to enjoy listening to Barry Davies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Anybody else think its a joke that pundits/commentators etc are allowed to commentate on the teams that they support.

Not really. It's not as if commentators are giving your their honest views on matters anyway so I don't see what difference it makes if the teams they're blathering on about are ones they hold dear or not.

Plus Steve Claridge would be out of a job if he wasn't allow comment on teams he's played for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SantryRed wrote: »
    What about the guy who did the Villa game on Setanta earlier? He was so biast towards Gillingham it was rediculous. Had to put on David Pleat instead on UTV:eek:

except when they disregarded Gillinghams penalty shout as if there wasnt a player around him yet it was much more of a pen than Villas anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't have a problem with ex-players commentating on their former team, but Paddy Crerand is very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bluetonic wrote: »

Emesis%20Bags%20copy.jpg

Thats a commen myth Alan Green has publicly stated that he support Linfield

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bluetonic wrote: »

Emesis%20Bags%20copy.jpg
    Never a truer word has been said. The man makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lou Macari. Completely anti-Celtic. Can't stand the man. He was actually a scout for Ireland under Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate Jamie Redknapp's new love for Spurs. His commentary for the Arsenal v Spurs 4-4 draw was absolute ridiculous. I used to like his commentary but ever since that I've noticed how much a complete wanker he really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

apoch632 wrote: »

Was an absolute legend of a commentaor RIP :(. I'll never forget when he was commentating on a United match and every time Scholes got the ball he kept on calling him Sch-oals for most of the match until Ron Atkinson corrected him. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

liam brady last year was funny.
    wat was it eamo said to him? "you've jumped the fence baby" or something like that. brady was by far the worst, the most pro arsenal man ever... feck sake he was working for them. gj rte

hansen just loves everyone a big huggy bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thats a commen myth Alan Green has publicly stated that he support Linfield

yeah - except that is seemingly a lie, and his boss has admited his is a Liverpool supporter iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No body has said Andy Gray and his love for Everton and Man utd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Green always seemed very anti United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sure didn't Sky once have Rio Ferdinand providing analysis on a Man United game during his suspension? Like he was going to call Fergie out on any mistakes he may have made :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jazzy wrote: »
    liam brady last year was funny.
    wat was it eamo said to him? "you've jumped the fence baby" or something like that. brady was by far the worst, the most pro arsenal man ever... feck sake he was working for them. gj rte

Even though we lost that match, it was one of the great pundit moments imo brilliant stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I would say Chelsea - Hell he picks them to win everything!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Don't forget his love for Arsenal, both he and Tyler have a complete wankfest everytime Arsenal play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

what anti-pool comments did he come out with??

bill o'herily and man utd spring to mind here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Ray Houghton is a small-minded man with a bitter axe to grind at Liverpool for some reason. A lot of his comments during matche's are anti-liverpool and anti-Benitez. He seems to have a much higher recollection of his own playing ability when spouting some of the gibberish that he comes out with. Along with Ray you can add Jim Beglin who is another guilty of similar antics although not on the same scale.

It makes me want to turn off the volume when they start spouting their diatribe against the current LFC setup

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nothing beats the late Philip Green when he was commentating on Shamrock Rovers matches on RTE radio. Any hint of impartiality went out the window when Rovers scored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Lou Macari. Completely anti-Celtic. Can't stand the man. He was actually a scout for Ireland under Kerr.

Oh right. Maybe I like him again so;) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Phil Thompson!

That guy is so one sided its unbelievable!!!! Hate seeing his smug face when the pool win. To be fair tho he really does love his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Clive Tildsley :mad:

Imagine a team of him and Crerand :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I always find these topics amusing. If you asked most fans what they thought of Andy Gray for example, they'd say he was biased towards their main rivals. Pundits/commentators have a skill of annoying everyone!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I switched off the Aston Villa UEFA Cup match a few weeks ago rather than put up with Lou Macari. Alongside Mark Lawrenson's recordings for Pro Evo 2008, it was the most pessimistic, negativity-filled ranting I've ever heard from a commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I don't think that it's a case of commentators not working on their own teams games.
    I think it's just that certain commentators are fools!
    I don't agree with "banning" them from their own teams games.
    If that were the case, we'd have never had this! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Or this..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Exactly.

Emotion is part and parcel of football.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did anybody see the expo on Arsenal's new in-stadium initiative for blind fans?
    They allocate headphones, which work anywhere in the stands, to visually impaired supporters with a direct feed to live commentary. The commentator is always an Arsenal fan, which is considered one of the best attributes of the service because the passion for the home team is evident.

I hate the Gunners, but that really is a great system for their fans.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Clive Tildsley :mad:

Imagine a team of him and Crerand :eek:

Thats the other wánker. I couldn't think of his name, used to hate ITV coverage of the CL cause of him.

And there's a difference between Thommo etc covering the matches like above and commentating on the matches. Ive never heard Thommo commentating on a match. But for one-sided bias just check out John Aldridge's CL commentaries :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nobody mention this bit??

Not that I hate Matt, just showing the bias. The worst one I find is Phil Thompson, he does it in a way I find annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Did you see Phil throw a hissy fit over Liverpool not getting performance of the week for last week. Brilliant!. "5-1, premiership. 5-1, PREMIERSHIP"

Can someone please realise the difference between commentating on live matches(which is what i why i started the thread) and pundits sitting in the studio. You expect biased pundits, but not commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can someone please realise the difference between commentating on live matches(which is what i why i started the thread) and pundits sitting in the studio. You expect biased pundits, but not commentators.

The lads on Soccer Saturday are commentating, if thats what you're getting at.

Eamon Dunphy =pundit
    Ray Houghton=commentator

Advertisement