Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Out of my league"

Options

Comments

Trinity1 wrote: »
    My mother always told me its not where you live its how you live.

And never a truer word did she say.

For me the measure of a person is all about the size of their heart.
    Trinity I couldn't ask for a better man than the one you have got.
    One who puts his family first.

I never think of people in terms of leagues, everyone starts from the same basepoint. Except that snobbery is a massive turn off for me.

I wouldn't be too charmed by someone who thought they were out of my league either. It would make me feel like the point of being with me was to impress others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I thought my boyfriend was out of my league when i first met him. He told me he thought the same about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭SomeDude

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Thats because looks are far more subjective when it comes to womens opinion on men. Mens definition of beauty is far more "grouped", I can't think of the right word, what I'm saying is - most men have the same taste in women.

Can't say I agree with this. I think when you get to know someone they become more attractive. In work we always rate the girls out of 10 (very childish I know). We were talking about one girl that I thought was hot. The other guys were like she's a 4/5 :eek: In my mind she is a 8/8.5 :rolleyes:
    And it works the other the way as well, SOME girls think that just because they are 'natural beauties' that every red blooded male must want them....for me that is one of the biggest turn offs in a girl....it's just the attitude they give off, when you talk to them you can almost hear them thinking - yeah, you really want to f$!@ me don't you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I thought my boyfriend was out of my league when i first met him. He told me he thought the same about me.

Aw that's sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

It's a very negative way of thinking, but yeah, I still do it. Though I used to be much worse when I was younger. The funny thing is I always thought I was weird for feeling the way I did, especially because on tv/movies it was always a nerdy / 'ugly' guy who magically got the girl who was 'out of his league'. Except for the extremely annoying film 'She's All That' (because taking off your glasses and letting down your hair automatically makes you hot! :eek: ).

To be honest, I'm still a little surprised sometimes when guys come on to me because I worry I'm going to be the butt of a practical joke or something. Well, not always, but there's a niggling doubt in the back of my mind, particularly if the guy is what I consider to be 'out of my league'.

That's not to say I won't approach somebody I like , though. I've been with someone for a few years now, so I guess I'm not doing too badly.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The idea of leagues did affect me in school, mainly to do with money.
    My old man was a teacher in a private school so I went for free, his salary was sound and all but the wealth of most of the kids in my class was unbelievable, one girl's family owned a diamond mine and a tobacco company. She would get more allowance than my dad was earning.

I met up with girls the odd time but I was always conscious that they had much more money than I did. Shallow as it sounds, it did feel a bit emasculating when she'd want to go places I couldn't afford.
    Only proper relationship I had in school was with a girl who's parents were also teachers so we were somewhat on the same wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wonder how many potentially great relationships have never been embarked upon due to them both having this way of thinking.

Aw, now I've gone and depressed myself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

well sorta, that came of highly egotistical which is'nt the aproach id use my slef as `I cant stand ego's i mean there really not that good...

How ever the smae kinda idea just a bit more toned down and going after her friend well that's just a bit sad..... In my veiws of course....

Well I didn't mean it literally, I just meant that if you go in with the attitude that its not a big deal if ye get rejected and that there are other fish in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Harsh as it sounds, a really good-looking, slim person more than likely won't go for a person who's unattractive-looking, overweight, doesn't look after themselves etc. Please don't crucify me - it's just a reality.

Dudess wrote: »
    Harsh as it sounds, a really good-looking, slim person more than likely won't go for a person who's not good-looking, overweight, doesn't look after themselves etc. Please don't crucify me - it's just a reality.

You monster!!!! How dare you call it as you see it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wonder how many potentially great relationships have never been embarked upon due to them both having this way of thinking.

Aw, now I've gone and depressed myself. :(

There there dude. *pats*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Harsh as it sounds, a really good-looking, slim person more than likely won't go for a person who's unattractive-looking, overweight, doesn't look after themselves etc. Please don't crucify me - it's just a reality.

Agreed. But.

When you get to know someone first, you can see through the physical stuff to the person inside. People, especially ones who make me laugh, become attractive to me for different reasons.

Of the men I've dated, most of whom I've gotten to know to some extent first, very few would fit the physical preferences I've listed in my head!

Agreed. But.

When you get to know someone first, you can see through the physical stuff to the person inside. People, especially ones who make me laugh, become attractive to me for different reasons.

Of the men I've dated, most of whom I've gotten to know to some extent first, very few would fit the physical preferences I've listed in my head!

I agree. For me, a case in point is the actor Seth Rogen (of 'Pineapple Express' fame). He's not what I would call particularly hot physically. But because he's funny , I definitely 'would'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Doesnt everybody go through their fair share of rejectiing others and being rejected ? I know I have expierenced both sides of the coin but looking back on the former,in some cases I see now were it was just lack of confidence in myself at the time that made me reject ,rather than there being anything wrong with the girl's at the time in question .I probably felt they were out of my league then to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

*Runs out of the room in tears*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What cruel coincidence. A few years ago I was at friend's wedding, dancing with this girl I thought was way out of my league. Long story short, I got here number but not a date. Today, I open up the Style section of The Sunday Times and who do I see on one of the pages looking out at me?

Like she couldn't just reject me, she had to go on and a lead a successful life for herself. :mad:
    stovelid wrote: »
    To adjudge yourself to have utterly no chance with somebody before you've even tried is very self-defeating. Worse still, thinking like that can turn out be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In theory, I agree. In practise...she is not so easy.

The perfect match!
    latchyco wrote: »
    I probably felt they were out of my league then to .

Wait a minute, you rejected them because they were out of your league? That's an interesting twist.

Madge wrote: »
    You haven't seen 'The Nutty Professor' then :P

You haven't seen the sequel then ;)
    Pretty early on in the film you discover taht miss Purty - the love interest from the first one - dumped Sherman not long after the events of the first film
    :(

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Wait a minute, you rejected them because they were out of your league? That's an interesting twist.

I did something similar when I was 12. Man, I was a stoopid kid. I'm sure Freud could write a book on me.

What cruel coincidence. A few years ago I was at friend's wedding, dancing with this girl I thought was way out of my league. Long story short, I got here number but not a date. Today, I open up the Style section of The Sunday Times and who do I see on one of the pages looking out at me?

Jeremy Clarkson.

My teen years were full of angst .You might be the object of somone else desire but not actually up for it yourself . The confidence came in my 20s ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

its not something id consciously do, i wouldnt think "hes out of my league", but id think "oh he wouldnt be interested in me".

i dont know if its just insecurity or being realistic? looks-wise i wouldnt rate myself against many of the girls out there, so for that reason id find someone "out of my league". i have no major problems with anything else about me - im fairly intelligent, fun, kind etc etc but because i dont wouldnt rate myself physically attractive i find myself thinking im not good enough for mr X, when in reality mr X might be a total a**hole.

ive been told my several friends that one ex was never good enough for me, and that i was completely "out of his league" - in this case she was referring to looks and everything else - yet i always thought the guy was pretty hot. its all relative really.

i think i just rambled on there without making much sense.. :o

Jeremy Clarkson.

He's never in the Style section, at least I've never seen him. He writes in the News Review part...

...I need to get out more.

If we take the looks thingy out of the equasion it's become more intresting .Of course we have to go through a heap of ****e in life before we find that out .

Freud thing and all that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

If we take the looks thingy out of the equasion it's become more intresting .Of course we have to go through a heap of ****e in life before we find that out .

Freud thing and all that .

This is the truest thing ever. If you like someone, their attractiveness grows. The problem is getting to like someone enough without the sex stuff getting in the way.

Looks will always count somewhat though, although they don't matter as much to me as most men seem to assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Id like to say as as a mr mussel not bad looking (skinny) look a like... i like women with nice figures and hate those skinny ass insects well unless she's jodie kidd and then i just druel like a dog.....

Jeremy Clarkson.

It was AA Gill.

Longest "let's just be friends" text I ever got but pretty entertaning I have to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Id like to say as as a mr mussel not bad looking (skinny) look a like... i like women with nice figures and hate those skinny ass insects well unless she's jodie kidd and then i just druel like a dog.....

What's a skinny ass insect? A size zero?

It was AA Gill.

Longest "let's just be friends" text I ever got but pretty entertaning I have to say.

Well you shouldn't have made cheese sandwiches for dinner.

Really? but at the end of no.2 didn't he
    get with Janet Jackson's character?

Yeah, she was adifferent character. Whose to say it won't happen again? :( [/pessimism]

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    The funny thing is I always thought I was weird for feeling the way I did, especially because on tv/movies it was always a nerdy / 'ugly' guy who magically got the girl who was 'out of his league'.

Life's not like the movies.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    You haven't seen the sequel then ;)
    Pretty early on in the film you discover taht miss Purty - the love interest from the first one - dumped Sherman not long after the events of the first film
    :(

Oh wait, maybe it is.
    Really? but at the end of no.2 didn't he
    get with Janet Jackson's character?

Scratch that, it's definitely not.

As long as we don't work that out too late (see my sig).

Advertisement