Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent in Sligo Area. Prices?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi
    I am currently renting a 3 bed house approx 15 miles from Sligo off the N4. I am paying €600 a month and had a chat with the landlord but he is unwilling to reduce it so I am moving out at the end of the month. I am looking for a two bed country cottage type property with a garden as we have a dog, in a quite area. Just wondering what people think is a reasonable rent for a pretty decent standard of accommodation about 15-20 miles from Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have a look on daft to see what local rents are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

I have been keeping an eye on daft for months. When we were looking in September 2007 the house below was €700 per month
    www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=c22&s[a_id]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=600&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=40&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=653732

The houses in this estate are still on daft but now at €600 and still empty.

This one has also been on daft for months www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=c22&s[a_id]=3305&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=600&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=638613

I guess my real question is not what people are paying in rent but what should they be paying. My current landlord refused to reduce the rent to €500 yet the house will be empty for a while so he will actually lose more money. It makes no sense. Are people reluctant to accept property is not worth what it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Howya Mairt, Im renting a new three bedroom house 20 miles from sligo with sheds and large garden for 500 a month for a year. Ive told the landlord ill have to meet him at the end of month to discuss lowering it to 450 or maybe even 400. He has agreed to discuss it. Im willing to sign a two year contract at an agreed price. Ive been looking in the area and have found new four bedroom semi's going for 400.
    My advice is to look in local shops, post offices, filling stations etc for ads for houses to rent rather than the websites. Some real good deals can be done at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

Thanks for the tip. I will give it ago. We would prefer not to live in an estate as we have a dog so would like a detached quite property. But might change my mind if we have an entire estate to ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

shame your landlord is a buffoon.

my fella and i just rented a house in an estate in town (not really your cup of tea), listed on daft for 600, and we merely looked sideways and they went down to 550... so of course i'm kicking myself now that we didn't ask for a further reduction!

daft's a bit misleading, and i wanted to come onto boards.ie and mention: that lettings may be listed as 'agreed' but they don't show the final prices.

i'm guessing we should have asked for at least €100 off/pm, based on a potential of 2 months on the market.

in terms of prices, we are moving from a one bed place (inc. one shower/loo, office, living, kitchen) for €450/pm... and I'm sure that rent will have to come way down now. the new place is 4 bed, 2 bath (one with tub), gardens, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement