Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skilled working visa

Options
  • 04-01-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi guys, could anyone give me some advice? I am undecided between applying for a WHV and a skilled visa, im pretty sure im eligible for the skilled visa..my problem is this..i want to go to Oz in March and if i like it and everything is going ok, apply for a skilled visa- can you do this? or do you have to wait for one visa to expire before applying for another, the thing is i've heard that the skilled visa process takes 6-12 months and i'd like to get out there sooner. Maybe you need to be outside Oz to apply for a skilled visa?
    Also does anyone know if you do fork out the 1,000 euro for the skilled visa how long is it valid for, do you need to go ver there to validate it within a certain amount of time and after that how long can you stay on this visa, some people say its permanent?
    any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

hey
    go to this website, it should have all the info you need
    www.immi.gov.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hey buddy,

I know pretty much all the angles on this as I've spent the last few months researching it all.

The processing time by immigration is 6-15 months. Before that you will have to get your skills assed which takes up two two weeks before they will even consider an application (or work for in your field in AUS for at least two years).

The cost is currently around (E2500.00) $5000.00 (split over two payments of 2.5K each) for perminant residency. You must be offshore to recieve your residency also.

I went down the road of Employee sponsorship (which can run up to a max of 4 years temp residency) and am currently in the process of applying for perm residency. But I was just lucky that I ended up in a place that I really got along well with the staff and got great support from the management.

Anyway those are your options, feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What no first post member spamming for visafirst yet??? LOL :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

whiskers08 wrote: »
    hi guys, could anyone give me some advice? I am undecided between applying for a WHV and a skilled visa, im pretty sure im eligible for the skilled visa..my problem is this..i want to go to Oz in March and if i like it and everything is going ok, apply for a skilled visa- can you do this? or do you have to wait for one visa to expire before applying for another, the thing is i've heard that the skilled visa process takes 6-12 months and i'd like to get out there sooner. Maybe you need to be outside Oz to apply for a skilled visa?
    Also does anyone know if you do fork out the 1,000 euro for the skilled visa how long is it valid for, do you need to go ver there to validate it within a certain amount of time and after that how long can you stay on this visa, some people say its permanent?
    any info much appreciated

It costs a whack more to apply for PR while in Aus

You could try what all the other lads do and use your WHV to find a employer willing to sponsor you in a recognised field.

However be wary of the 457 (Sponsored Visa)if you are let go or made re-dundant you have only 28 days to secure another job in that field before you must vacate Aus. There was a story on today tonight about to families being sent home to the UK from perth as this happened to them.

Anyway fact is the WHV will let you go now so in the end no matter what anyone says thats what you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aes Sedai

Hi Whiskers08

I was granted my permanent residency after applying online through the immi website, the application went in at the end of September and it was granted just over 2 months later.

It cost $2800 to apply online, also the medical cost around $300 and the skills assesment cost around $150 and took just over a week to arrive back in the post.

I came out here on a WHV and decided I wanted to stay so put in the Skilled Migration visa while onshore but I had to go offshore to have my visa granted.

The Skilled migration visa grants permanent residency. Once Immigration have granted the visa they will give you a certain amount of time to validate it, we were given from the 08th December up to the 10th January.

You don't have to wait for the WHV to expire to apply for the skilled visa however once the skilled is granted the WHV becomes invalid.

I applied for the visa on my own without help from any migration firms, if you have any questions PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Apply for both, I iwsh I had.

I came over on a WHV with a fair idea I would want to stay.

I got sponsored after 6 months and I still remain with my company. I now have to wait 2 years for independant status.

If I had of applied for SMV on departure I would have this already at this stage and would be flying solo with no ties to the company.

Work them in parallel, as the WHV is practically instant and if you manage things well you could come off the WHV straight onto a SMV or at least only have to be sponsored for a while after month 6 ( or of course move company on Month 6 )

Lucky I am happy and staying 2 years will be fine here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If it helps, I could have applied for residency before I came here but I thought it would make life easier if I just got a WHV and got residency when I was here and knew I wanted to stay. I wish I'd just got residency in the first place. It's a pain in the hole to do and the clock is ticking by on my WHV and no sign of my residency any time soon.

It may not be as applicable to you as somebody said above you have to be offshore to get it in Aus. In NZ there's no problem with you being in the country.

Advertisement