Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

breaks screeching

Options
  • 04-01-2009 6:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

peugeot 307 hdi. =car. Basically i changed the brake pads about 4000 miles ago and now with he last 1000 miles they screech quiet loudly when you have been driving the car for a while eg 15 miles. do they need to be replaced again or do they just need to be filied as a friend said

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I have the same trouble with mine, the pads where changed car was fine after 4 weeks driving around. I took the wheel off and examined the pads there ok tiny score mark on them, but discovered the discs had an edge on them that was wearing into the brake pad. So I need 2 new discs for the front costing €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Simow

you should have got a black/orange grease with your new pads. the grease is applied to the BACK of the pad and stops brake noise. dont attempt to file your pads.

Simow wrote: »
    you should have got a black/orange grease with your new pads. the grease is applied to the BACK of the pad and stops brake noise. dont attempt to file your pads.

The rear 'brake shoes' usually get copper grease on the back of them, but the front just clip or slide in depending on the car. :confused:

Hal1 wrote: »
    The rear 'brake shoes' usually get copper grease on the back of them, but the front just clip or slide in depending on the car. :confused:
    The clips also help but i presume they were installed when fitting the pads?? Whenever I change pads i always grease the back of them and never had noisey pads..... Usually when they are spurious pads the grease os not supplied with them. I would try greasing them before filling them anyway. I often got grease supplied with front and rear pads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

or would they just be worn again because i am quiet hard on them.

• Advertisement

I wonder if there is air in the brake system? It's an easy DIY job if so.

there not gone after 4000miles no matter how hard you drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Brake screech or squeal is caused by the pad vibrating,as some of the lads have already said the best way to stop this is by applying some copper grease to the back of the pad(side that clips into caliper - just in case :eek:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hal1 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is air in the brake system? It's an easy DIY job if so.
    Bleeding brakes is not for the novice (someone who asks about brakes screeching IMO!) as there is a likelihood that more air could get in.

Advertisement