Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time toilet training for puppy?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

We've had our pup for about three weeks now and she's 11 weeks old. We've been off work for most of that time too so her toilet training is going pretty good. We're at the stage where we've got a couple of sheets of newspaper down by the back door and during the day she'll sit by the door for us to let her out to the garden. If we're not in the room or don't get to her in time, she will the odd time pee on the newspaper, but she never poos inside - she seems to be able to hold that till we let her out.

But I'm just wondering about night times. We leave her at about 11:30 each night and we are down to her by 7:30 every morning, but each morning there's pee and poo on the newspapers. Its great that it's on the newspapers and not just the floor, but I'm unsure how to get past this stage? Is there anything else we should be doing to encourage her to try hold on during the night, or is she just physically unable to still at 11 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Branoic wrote: »
    is she just physically unable to still at 11 weeks?

that would be your answer right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Grand ok, so keep doing what we're doing and eventually she'll naturally hold it until we let her out in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

Hi,
    I have always had a dog and my dog at the moment is just over 3 years old. Although fully trained during the day could not do the full night on and off for first 2 years approx. She is a female and we have noticed that around her heat time she needs to be let out more often.
    Stick with it.. 11 weeks she is still a baby.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What about keeping dog in crate/box overnight and let her wake you when she needs to go? Or can you not get up during the night to let her out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For 11 weeks she's doing very well, no need to get up during the night if she's doing that well, just continue one with the newspapers and once she gets to the stage where the newspapers have not been soiled over a few nights you could take them away. Although always be prepared for an accident even the best house trained pets can have one (even the best trained adults can lol).

So far so good though it takes a while for their bladders to mature and all dogs vary as to how long it takes.
    She's still very much a baby so a bit longer will be needed, you might find as she gets older and she has less small meals and one or two regular sized meals a day she will need to go less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

iv got the same problem as the OP only my puppy is 16 weeks old... some mornings we'll come down and there'll be no poos or pees and other morning the newspaper is completely flooded with poos n pees...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Crate training, I know I say it to nearly every training thing, but I really think it's brilliant. My pup is 16 weeks old, he goes 7 hours at night in his crate, this has been extended slowly from 4 hours when I first got him. He's great during the day as well (Except for this morning, it must have been too cold for him, he went out as usual, I left the door open for him while I had a shower as usual and came down to a poo :( frosty little thing)

Advertisement