Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car for 3000

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

hi there , im looking out for a car for a family member , they are willing to spend around three grand , theyve narrowed it down to either a ford focus , possibly a fiesta or maybe a fiat punto as they are cheap and not as bad imo as many say

as regards the focus , could you say get a 03 focus for 3 k in a private sale or are things not as bad i believe they are

ps, the car will be a petrol most likely entry level model

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Simow

Im not sure if you would pick up a 03 Focus for that money??? Bargain if you can... You would have a big choice of MK4's Astra's for that money. Nice comfortable car and reliable if looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's more room in the Focus. I wouldn't limit the choice to those 3 cars though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

irish_bob wrote: »
    hi there , im looking out for a car for a family member , they are willing to spend around three grand , theyve narrowed it down to either a ford focus , possibly a fiesta or maybe a fiat punto as they are cheap and not as bad imo as many say

as regards the focus , could you say get a 03 focus for 3 k in a private sale or are things not as bad i believe they are

ps, the car will be a petrol most likely entry level model

peugeot 206 isnt a bad car... didnt restyle the range much so they all look them same - its never out of place

somewhat relyable, super light clutch and handles like a shopping cart...

all you need and more

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I drive a Focus and drove a Punto before that. Punto is really a first car/learner's car. Mine was very reliable. There are still loads of nine and ten year old Puntos on the road. Everyone here probably thinks they're rubbish.

The Fiesta or Focus would be way better. From looking at carzone you'd be talking about a 03 fiesta or a 01 focus, so just try and get one of those with a recent NCT and that doesn't need a timing belt change or something expensive like that and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

S.I.R wrote: »
    peugeot 206 isnt a bad car... didnt restyle the range much so they all look them same - its never out of place

somewhat relyable, super light clutch and handles like a shopping cart...

all you need and more

I wouldn't buy a 206. They look good alright but its fashion over function with them. They don't hold theyre value and the parts are ridiculously expensive. I just sold one a couple of months ago and bought what i should have bought in the first place. A Ford Focus as you are thinking. Cant go wrong with a Ford. Its a fantastic car.

I'd pick a few for around €4k and ring the person selling it guarantee you they will drop €500 - €1k just to see rid of the car in this poor market. Its a buyers market at the moment tell them you will give them €3k for it. Probably get you slightly lower mileage and maybe a year younger. But 2003 for €3k is unrealistic. Heres a few to look at. Sometimes a few nice ones on Adverts too

99 Ford Focus
    02 Ford Focus
    01 Ford Focus
    00 Ford Focus NCT 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I wouldn't buy a 206. They look good alright but they don't hold theyre value and the parts are ridiculously expensive. I just sold one a couple of months ago and bought what i should have bought in the first place. A Ford Focus as you are thinking. Cant go wrong with a Ford. Its a fantastic car.

I'd pick a few for around €4k and ring the person selling it guarantee you they will drop €500 - €1k just to see rid of the car in this poor market. Its a buyers market at the moment tell them you will give them €3k for it. Probably get you slightly lower mileage and maybe a year younger. But 2003 for €3k is unrealistic. Heres a few to look at. Sometimes a few nice ones on Adverts too

99 Ford Focus
    02 Ford Focus
    01 Ford Focus
    00 Ford Focus NCT 2010

fords are great, dont mistaking you their but there so easy to rob ( well... all family cars are, tbh )

rather under powered and under equiped where it counts most ( drum brakes... WTF ! )

would be a safe bet anyways

also: its always been a buyers market, just that not people have some more balls :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

You rarely hear bad words about Mitsubishi's, I would think a Lancer or Colt would better value for money than a Focus or Punto.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1248603

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What about a corrola? Should get a 00 one for about three grand. As they say you cant beat a jap.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If i had 3k to spend on a car, i would go for a civic.....very reliable car, especially for not spending a huge amount of money

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    If i had 3k to spend on a car, i would go for a civic.....very reliable car, especially for not spending a huge amount of money

This one here looks very clean.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1254813

S.I.R wrote: »
    fords are great, dont mistaking you their but there so easy to rob ( well... all family cars are, tbh )

rather under powered and under equiped where it counts most ( drum brakes... WTF ! )

would be a safe bet anyways

also: its always been a buyers market, just that not people have some more balls :(

I've never tried to rob one so i'll have to take your word on that one. And your damn right there you need balls to get the price you want.

Tony Broke wrote: »

Doesn't say the mileage though, or at least i cant see it. Looks well looked after alright. Cant remember the last time i saw a complete service book like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You'd get a 01 or 02 VW Golf (Mk 4) for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You'd get a 01 or 02 VW Golf (Mk 4) for that money.
    Focus civic and corolla are far superior cars IMO

Civic's would be ( do you ever hear a bad word about them? ), I dont know about the early Focus's, that could be close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It depends what you're looking for. They're just considered better 'cos they are Japanese, you won't have many probs with a VW either, its much of a muchness in my opinion. Some things on a Focus are more expensive, like a clutch replacement...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It depends what you're looking for. They're just considered better 'cos they are Japanese, you won't have many probs with a VW either, its much of a muchness in my opinion. Some things on a Focus are more expensive, like a clutch replacement...

Mark IV Golfs are troublesome enough. 1.4 engine reliability is poor enough and the electrics can't always be depended on.
    This is pretty damning evidence from a reputable site. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=449
    Stay away is my advice. Focus is grand as are Civics, Corollas, 323s etc are what you should be looking at if you want a bit of dependability. At that price you'll get a decent enough motor I reckon.

Advertisement