Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused - Where do I fit in?

• 04-01-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Ok I have faith and religion , I am Catholic but the only worrying thing is , I disagree on alot of our belief system. I believe in evolution and dont believe in Adam and Eve, I disagree on the church's view on Abortion.

The question is am I a hypocrite in practicing a faith where I find it hard to believe some of its teachings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Cruijff wrote: »
    Ok I have faith and religion , I am Catholic but the only worrying thing is , I disagree on alot of our belief system. I believe in evolution and dont believe in Adam and Eve, I disagree on the church's view on Abortion.

The question is am I a hypocrite in practicing a faith where I find it hard to believe some of its teachings.
    I wouldn't say you're a hypocrite, a hypocrite would be someone who says they never have a crisis of faith.

afaik the catholic church doesn't take genesis literally so you've no problem there.

As for the abortion issue well which part of the the catholic stance do you find you disagree with.
    As is often the case these things are rarely a simple command of "abortion is bad, m'kay". Which parts of the reasoning for its probation do you find objectionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think most catholics probably disagree with a couple of stances of the church, so I'd say you're safe enough calling yourself a catholic as long as you believe in God and the sacraments and all that lark.

Also, the catholic church acknowledges evolution, and I think they view the Adam and Eve story as allegory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello, happy new year to you. :)

Re Adam and Eve, the Church teaches that they were the first true human beings in the sense that God have them immortal spiritual souls which no other creature on earth had been endowed with. They might have evolved from lower animals or not, the Church doesn't know and in many ways it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

Your disagreement with the Church's teaching on abortion is a far more serious matter. It's easy to condone abortion if you've never seen the reality of it. Have you looked at any videos of embryo's being cut up?

The Church teaches that life begins at conception so that age or maturity of the foetus has no bearing on its human dignity or personhood.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

Maybe it is better to call yourself a Christian rather than a Catholic. That way you can define you own beliefs or take them from the bible or find them through prayer or spiritual searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Skadi wrote: »
    Maybe it is better to call yourself a Christian rather than a Catholic. That way you can define you own beliefs or take them from the bible or find them through prayer or spiritual searching.

Most Christians I know who aren't Catholic still oppose abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Catholic Church believes in transubstantiation also... Do you believe that bread and wine literally changes into flesh and blood?
    Jakkass wrote: »
    Most Christians I know who aren't Catholic still oppose abortion.

Well it's up to them really isn't it? If you don't subscribe to any organized religion then you're free to interpret the scripture as you see fit, and I'm sure if you really want to you can find an ambiguous line in the Bible that you could claim endorses abortion.

Whereas if you're a Catholic AFAIK you're supposed to take your interpretation from Rome.

Well I subscribe to Christianity or more denominationalised Anglicanism. Christianity is a religion, in my opinion, it's hard not to see it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Dave! wrote: »
    The Catholic Church believes in transubstantiation also... Do you believe that bread and wine literally changes into flesh and blood?

Well it's up to them really isn't it? If you don't subscribe to any organized religion then you're free to interpret the scripture as you see fit, and I'm sure if you really want to you can find an ambiguous line in the Bible that you could claim endorses abortion.

Whereas if you're a Catholic AFAIK you're supposed to take your interpretation from Rome.
    Exactly. One cannot be an authentic Catholic while you deny any of its dogmas.

So the honest thing would be to drop the Catholic tag, except maybe in the broadest 'roots' sense.

More importantly, the OP needs to find out what God says and believe it. Personal opinions and cultural baggage are worthless 'commandments of men'.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Why do you clam to be Catholic if you disagree on alot of the Catholic belief system ?

I thought the whole point of proclaming to be of a particular faith is that you subscribe to the beliefs of that faith.
    What part of your belief makes you Catholic ?

I think you have to question which bits you have a problem with and if that then means you are actually outside of the term "catholic". Perhaps another church will fit your belief system bettter ?

Cruijff, rather than jump ship and many have been quick to suggest, why not spend more time investigating the morality of abortion. Do you accept you could be wrong? Why not pray for enlightenment on the matter? Research why the Church condemns abortion.

I think if you actually witnessed an abortion or even viewed an video online, you couldn't possibly agree with the killing of the unborn. It all too easy to accept abortion when you haven't had to witness it.

http://www.priestsforlife.org/images/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Exactly. One cannot be an authentic Catholic while you deny any of its dogmas.

So the honest thing would be to drop the Catholic tag, except maybe in the broadest 'roots' sense.

More importantly, the OP needs to find out what God says and believe it. Personal opinions and cultural baggage are worthless 'commandments of men'.

I'm facing a similar crisis in faith as the OP. I have been brought up as a Catholic my whole life (and not just in name: I go to mass every sunday, and do the readings and sing in choir) but at the moment, I find myself morally objecting to quite a few of the Catholic church's dogmas.

I disagree with the Church's stance on gay people, as I feel that it is hardly in the spirit of 'love your neighbour' that I have always sensed in the Gospel, at least.

I disagree with the Church's blatant disregard for the women of the faith. I have yet to see any biblical reference which disallows women from becoming priests. There is not, as I see it, any justifiable reasoning behind this lack of equality. (Though I would be happy to hear it, if it exits)

I disagree with the Church's line on priests marrying. This rule was only introduced in the middle ages so that the Church would stop losing its land to the sons of the clergy. I see this dogma as being out of date.

I'm glad to hear that the whole Adam/Eve as an allegory thing is accepted in the Catholic Church, or else I would have to add that I disagree with creationism.

I'll leave abortion out of this for a minute because I have no moral objections to the Pro-Life doctrine.

So my question is this - if we are given a conscience from God, which I believe we are, and this conscience has a moral objection with the word of God as preached by the Catholic Faith, where does that leave me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    I'm facing a similar crisis in faith as the OP. I have been brought up as a Catholic my whole life (and not just in name: I go to mass every sunday, and do the readings and sing in choir) but at the moment, I find myself morally objecting to quite a few of the Catholic church's dogmas.

I disagree with the Church's stance on gay people, as I feel that it is hardly in the spirit of 'love your neighbour' that I have always sensed in the Gospel, at least.

I disagree with the Church's blatant disregard for the women of the faith. I have yet to see any biblical reference which disallows women from becoming priests. There is not, as I see it, any justifiable reasoning behind this lack of equality. (Though I would be happy to hear it, if it exits)

I disagree with the Church's line on priests marrying. This rule was only introduced in the middle ages so that the Church would stop losing its land to the sons of the clergy. I see this dogma as being out of date.

I'm glad to hear that the whole Adam/Eve as an allegory thing is accepted in the Catholic Church, or else I would have to add that I disagree with creationism.

I'll leave abortion out of this for a minute because I have no moral objections to the Pro-Life doctrine.

So my question is this - if we are given a conscience from God, which I believe we are, and this conscience has a moral objection with the word of God as preached by the Catholic Faith, where does that leave me?

Maybe exploring another denomination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I think that might be my only choice. :)

Though, to a large extent, I think my parents would nto welcome any changes in my religion. They are staunchly Catholic, and if I were to even change to another christian denomination, I doubt they would approve, and so of course I have familial bonds with the religion more so than anything else.

But thank you. Maybe I should just look into other denominations!

It's a sign of the times really. It was predicted in the bible that in the end times people would start rejecting the faith handed down by the Apostles.
    1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils,

Luke 18:8 I say to you, that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?
    The Church isn't against gay people but condemns the sins commited by gay people. Sinners are always welcome in the Church. Jesus came to heal the sick, not those who are well.
    The fact that it's not mentioned means little really. Reincarnation isn't mentioned. Does that mean it's true?

Jesus appointed 12 men apostles. If He wanted women to be priests, why didn't He make His own mother an apostle?

This article might help explain the why's:
    http://www.ewtn.com/library/DOCTRINE/ALL-MALE.TXT
    It's not primarily about inheritance and having to support a family. St. Paul advocated celibacy over the married life for bishops. Jesus wasn't married. Celibacy allows priests to devote their lives entirely to the service of God without the distractions of a wife and family.
    Yes we are given consciences but we are prone to error. Some (catholics) see not great wrong with abortion, other are against it. Surely this shows that our consciences are not always a reliable indication of right and wrong?

So the Church teaches that we need to inform our consciences in accordance with Church teaching as revealed by God.

God bless,
    Noel.

Why are people so quick to suggest that people leave the Catholic Church??? Why is that the standard answer when someone disagrees with Church tradition or teaching? Why not suggest some research into the basis of the teachings? Has it occurred to you that people might be rejecting Catholic teachings because they don't know the underlying reasons?

Should choosing a religion be like going shopping? Choose what suits me best? What about
    finding the truth?

kelly1 wrote: »
    Why are people so quick to suggest that people leave the Catholic Church??? Why is that the standard answer when someone disagrees with Church tradition or teaching? Why not suggest some research into the basis of the teachings? Has it occurred to you that people might be rejecting Catholic teachings because they don't know the underlying reasons?

I think that you are getting overly defensive here. It's a valid option, that's all. I've not tried to promote one denomination.

As for researching the issues in relation to the teachings of the RCC, well, that is something that you have already suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I could be wrong here, I openly admit this and would like to be educated if I am wrong. My understanding is that there is a logic to the stance against gay sex. The church says that homosexual acts are sinful...because they cannot lead to the procreation of children. The church also says that even heterosexuals who have sex for any reason other than the procreation of children is sinful. Therefore being gay is not a sin, gay sex is the sin. Bonking your missus to have kids is not a sin, bonking her if you don't want kids, is.
    It's not primarily about inheritance and having to support a family. St. Paul advocated celibacy over the married life for bishops. Jesus wasn't married. Celibacy allows priests to devote their lives entirely to the service of God without the distractions of a wife and family.
    Yet there were many bishops and pope's after St Paul and Jesus who were married and had sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, I openly admit this and would like to be educated if I am wrong. My understanding is that there is a logic to the stance against gay sex. The church says that homosexual acts are sinful...because they cannot lead to the procreation of children. The church also says that even heterosexuals who have sex for any reason other than the procreation of children is sinful. Therefore being gay is not a sin, gay sex is the sin. Bonking your missus to have kids is not a sin, bonking her if you don't want kids, is.

Yet there were many bishops and pope's after St Paul and Jesus who were married and had sex.

So if a married couple have sex and can't/don't produce kids they are sinners. Do people actaully believe this ? Why is religion obsessed with sex ?

Do you believe this ? Are you married ?

Why are people afrid to stand up to their beliefs. Why be afrid to loose the label of the religion you were born with. If you no longer believe then you are not of that faith. You have two options., resolve your problem or find another religion. Expecting the religion to change is a waste of time IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DinoBot wrote: »
    So if a married couple have sex and can't/don't produce kids they are sinners. Do people actaully believe this ? Why is religion obsessed with sex ?

Do you believe this ? Are you married ?
    This is nothing to do with what I believe or don't believe :confused: It's my understanding of what the Church teaches and I could be wrong about it :) My opinion on the matter isn't up for grabs here one way or the other.

Why are people afrid to stand up to their beliefs. Why be afrid to loose the label of the religion you were born with. If you no longer believe then you are not of that faith. You have two options., resolve your problem or find another religion. Expecting the religion to change is a waste of time IMO
    People should definitely be free to change their religion as they see fit and if it fits in with their beliefs. Expecting the religion to change is hardly a waste of time, there were once married popes, who's to say there won't be in the future? ;) There was once a 'limbo' where stillborn babies went to, now (somewhat magically, thanks to new interpretations) there isn't ;) At one time the Church would have slit you in two for suggesting that Adam and Eve was just allegorical, these days it's readily accepted.

The church will change but just like all archaic corporations, change can be very, very slow. However, that change will be even slower so long as people continue to accept whatever the church tells them is right without questioning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I think if you actually witnessed an abortion or even viewed an video online, you couldn't possibly agree with the killing of the unborn. It all too easy to accept abortion when you haven't had to witness it.

http://www.priestsforlife.org/images/index.htm

I have had some experience in the National Maternity Hospital and the Coombe hospital here in dublin, and what you have posted is exactly the kind of biased dogma that is preventing rational practice in Ireland. Of course aborted fetuses aren't the prettiest thing in the world. I wouldn't go around showing people pictures of grotesque tumours to persuade them not to have their cancer operated on. Obscuring the picture with phrases like "It became apparent to all of us that God had given us these children, one in particular, to show to the entire world the horror of abortion" is a cheap ploy to attempt to demonize what is often necessary and sometimes life-saving.

Of course the public are going to think the pictures are ugly. Most of medicine is. That doesn't mean that pictures are any logical way of stimulating public argument. They are propoganda used to scare the public into accepting an outdated and dangerous practice which is detrimental to women and extremely damaging to the health service in ireland as a whole. Thankfully, a simple referral by an obstetrician to england is possible, but why the hoops and red tape?

For many, an abortion is life-saving. For many, an abortion is the only way to avoid bringing a baby into a world where it will not get the care and attention that a baby should expect, condemning it to a life of misery, hardship and woe.

The church's stance on abortion is the wrong stance for the people of this country. Emotionally charging people with repulsive pictures doesn't mean its wrong, it means its a sensitive issue.

For the record, abortion is safe, can often be done by just taking medication and passing a slightly heavy period, and is something which gives a woman control over her life. Choice is always right.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I couldn't let this drivel go. Abortion is not a topic in which we should let our emotions inflame us, it's something which is dictated by logic and necessity.

• Advertisement

Abortion is rational practice? Removing the opportunity of a human life to live like everyone else is surely criminal? There are other options than abortion, we should be pursuing them above all else.

As for it being life-saving, who says that the unborn shouldn't have the right to life, and more importantly who should have the right unless the life of the mother is in danger?

This is a question of ethics, and there are just as many secular objections to abortion as religious ones.
    r3nu4l wrote: »

Paul even tells bishops and deacons that they may be married in the Bible (1 Timothy 3). Also Peter had a Christian wife (1 Corinthinans 9).

Guys, if you want to hammer out the morality of abortion, please start another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

someone mentioned about women not being made priests, and if Jesus had wanted female priests he would have made his mother one?

women were second class citizens at that time, Jesus knew that. As mad as it was to have fisherman as disciples at the time, women in the position of priests at that time would have been dismissed as lunacy I believe.

But was Mary Magdalene not the first evangelist? Was she not sent by the angels to tell the others about the resurrection? Women have just as much right as men to minister and spread the gospel.

I would say to the OP; investigate what the Catholic Church believes, how it interprets Scripture, why it interprets things in the way it does. If you go along with it, or are convicted to believe it then that's great. But you're also well within your rights to investigate other Christian denominations.

It's all the one God after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

DinoBot wrote: »

Because there was once a time when labelling promiscuity and sodomy as immoral had some basis in reality. Pregnancy could not be reliably controlled, STDs were a bigger issue and presented actual risk to life in many cases, illegitimate children had no legal or financial protections which impacted on social structures... lots of reasons really. The problem with dogmatic moral systems is that they cannot change with the times. Many things taught by religions as immoral can no longer reasonably be said to be so except in the vaguest of ways. They are maintained as "immoral" not because of the possibility of harmful consequence but because it says so in the Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Caoimhe89 said:
    I wouldn't want to dispute your difficulties with the RCC, but I will be glad to answer the issues from a Bible-believing perspective.
    The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sinful perversion of God-given sexuality. But it does not teach us to hate gays; rather we are to seek their salvation. Same as for the heterosexual sin of fornication.
    Firstly, there is no such thing as a separate priesthood in the New covenant Church. All that passed with the abolition of the Old Covenant. Now every Christian, male and female, are priests of God. The RCC resurrected the separate priesthood because it wanted control of the faithful.

As to the role of women in the Church, the NT restricts the teaching/ruling office (pastors/elders/overseerers/bishops - all the same office) to men. The apostles give clear commands on this in such places as:
    1 Timothy 2:12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
    It is just one example of Pharisee-types substituting the commandments of men for the commandments of God. In fact, it is one of the marks the Bible gives of the false teachers who would arise:
    1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

Matthew 15:7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
    8 ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
    And honor Me with their lips,
    But their heart is far from Me.
    9 And in vain they worship Me,
    Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

The historic Christian position is creationist and holds to a literal Adam & Eve. Though the RCC now accepts evolution for all the rest, it seems to still hold to a literal Adam & Eve.
    :)
    You can safely ignore what the RCC or any other church says. But you cannot do so for what the word of God says. If you have difficulties with it, you need to get before God in prayer and ask Him to reveal His truth to you.

You cannot assume you are hearing your conscience right - it may be telling you something your heart/mind does not want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

same as me - on a downward spiral of faith
    The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sinful perversion of God-given sexuality. But it does not teach us to hate gays; rather we are to seek their salvation. Same as for the heterosexual sin of fornication.

the bible teaches that eating shellfish is sinful too... www.godhatesshellfish.com

hard when the bibles authority comes from the RCC reject them (as I do) and there is no proof for the bibles veracity.

Noel, if ones concsiounce is opposed to catholic belief then what does one do, even if after trying they cannot accept the RCCs teachings? (I'm being sincere, PM me if you wish)

***Below is aboriton related, please ignore if you wish***

I have had some experience in the National Maternity Hospital and the Coombe hospital here in dublin, and what you have posted is exactly the kind of biased dogma that is preventing rational practice in Ireland. Of course aborted fetuses aren't the prettiest thing in the world. I wouldn't go around showing people pictures of grotesque tumours to persuade them not to have their cancer operated on. Obscuring the picture with phrases like "It became apparent to all of us that God had given us these children, one in particular, to show to the entire world the horror of abortion" is a cheap ploy to attempt to demonize what is often necessary and sometimes life-saving.

Of course the public are going to think the pictures are ugly. Most of medicine is. That doesn't mean that pictures are any logical way of stimulating public argument. They are propoganda used to scare the public into accepting an outdated and dangerous practice which is detrimental to women and extremely damaging to the health service in ireland as a whole. Thankfully, a simple referral by an obstetrician to england is possible, but why the hoops and red tape?

while I am against abortion, I agree with that argument of gore. Showing somethin ugly isn't an argument its cheap and fear mongering.
    Choice is always right.

the choice to murder innocents is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Phototoxin wrote: »
    the bible teaches that eating shellfish is sinful too... www.godhatesshellfish.com
    Groan! Not this piece of flim-flammery again. You might as well say that the penal laws and the prohibition of murder are exactly the same because both were enforced on the Irish in the 17th Century by the occupying English colonisers!

The restriction on eating shellfish was part of the dietary laws of the Old Testament ceremonial law that was observed by the Jews. The New Testament specifically states that when Jesus Christ came then that ceremonial law was cancelled. It also states that we are free to eat whatever we want.

Homosexual acts were declared sinful in the Old Testament. The New Testament does not cancel this, instead it reinforces this view and continues to talk of homosexual acts as being sinful.

You might not like this, and there is a homosexuality thread elsewhere on the board if anyone thinks they have anything new to contribute to the pile of horse manure that has already been written on that subject. :)
    hard when the bibles authority comes from the RCC reject them (as I do) and there is no proof for the bibles veracity.
    No, the Bible's authority does not come from the RCC.

The Jews were treating the Old Testament books as authoritative for hundreds of years, and we have clear evidence that early Christians were treating the letters of Paul as Scripture and authoritative for centuries before any Church Council ever decreed them to be such.
    while I am against abortion, I agree with that argument of gore. Showing somethin ugly isn't an argument its cheap and fear mongering.
    I'm not so sure. Was it cheap and fear mongering to show film footage of the piles of bodies in the Nazi death camps? Or was it a legitimate effort to make sure people realised what was going on.

Similarly, the end of the Vietnam War was hastened by photographs of US atrocities (I'm thinking of that iconic but heartrending photo of a young girl fleeing naked and burnt down the road in terror after the US firebombed her village). Are the pictures of dead children in bombed schools in Gaza scaremongering, or a legitimate response to Israeli briefings about 'precision military strikes'?

The abortion industry uses such clinical and neat language (eg 'termination') that maybe it's good to be reminded what actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    Similarly, the end of the Vietnam War was hastened by photographs of US atrocities (I'm thinking of that iconic but heartrending photo of a young girl fleeing naked and burnt down the road in terror after the US firebombed her village). Are the pictures of dead children in bombed schools in Gaza scaremongering, or a legitimate response to Israeli briefings about 'precision military strikes'?

The abortion industry uses such clinical and neat language (eg 'termination') that maybe it's good to be reminded what actually happens.

Good response. Earlier in the thread someone cack-mindedly said, 'I wouldn't go around showing people pictures of grotesque tumours to persuade them not to have their cancer operated on'. As if that was some kind of point. I dunno:confused:

Noel, if ones concsiounce is opposed to catholic belief then what does one do, even if after trying they cannot accept the RCCs teachings? (I'm being sincere, PM me if you wish)
    I don't really understand this?

How could someone morally object to a Catholic teaching? Many believe the Church is too strict in its teachings but I don't think it's ever been accused of being lax in its moral teachings. For example the Church teaches that artificial contraception is wrong but would anyone claim that not using contraception is sinful? Not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

.....but would anyone claim that not using contraception is sinful? Not likely.

Well if you know you wouldn't be able to support the resulting child then or it meant you could possibly get a nasty disease then possibly yes.

Well if you know you wouldn't be able to support the resulting child then or it meant you could possibly get a nasty disease then possibly yes.
    But that would be irresponsible, wouldn't it? If people live acccording Catholic teaching, then disease won't be an issue because they would both be virgins
    before marriage and monogamous afterwards.

Similarly, spouses should abstain from intercourse during fertile periods if they can't afford to have a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

But that would be irresponsible, wouldn't it? If people live acccording Catholic teaching, then disease won't be an issue because they would both be virgins

Similarly, spouses should abstain from intercourse during fertile periods if they can't afford to have a child.
    Were you a virgin before marriage and monogamous afterwards? Out of curiosity, how long have you been married and how many children do you have?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Ya but then life would be unbearable and miserable. No?

Noel, let's take a fairly common situation.

Mary is a devout Catholic woman living in Kenya. Her husband is much less devout (in Africa, as in Ireland, women tend to be more religious than men). He works as a truck driver and Mary knows there is a better than average chance that he occasionally sleeps with prostitutes when he's away for a few days (AIDS in Africa has spread along main trucking routes).

Now which is the most moral course of action for Mary to take?
    a) To refuse to have sex with her husband ever again.
    b) To have unprotected sex with her husband and to risk being infected with AIDS.
    c) To use a condom.

This is the very real dilemma (trilemma?) that thousands of women like Mary face in Africa.

This is the very real dilemma (trilemma?) that thousands of women like Mary face in Africa.
    What about people that convert? Possibly even more common?

MrP

• Advertisement

It might be worth pointing out that calculation of fertile periods has a massive rate of failure and pregnancy compared to actual contraception.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Good response. Earlier in the thread someone cack-mindedly said, 'I wouldn't go around showing people pictures of grotesque tumours to persuade them not to have their cancer operated on'. As if that was some kind of point. I dunno:confused:

The point is that someone should make a decision based on evidence and reason, not be swayed by images which display how graphic and ugly the process is.

With regards to an abortion, the following could happen

- A woman would be told about the procedure, the possible complications etc and would discuss with the father the best course of action (or with close family or whatever depending on the situation). She would come to an informed decision about which path she wanted to go down and be able to carry out her plans based on reason and modified by her own feelings about childbirth, abortion etc.

- A woman could be shown graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, zoomed in to show off every little fetal appendage (the real thing is rather tiny), with blood and membranes oozing everywhere. If she listens to religion, she would be told that abortion is wrong and the same as murder, that she's a horrible person if she does it etc. Immediately her viewpoint is no longer balanced, abortion has become completely an emotional issue (as opposed to partially, as above) and she is much less likely to make a decision that would be reasonable for her.

MatthewVII wrote: »
    The point is that someone should make a decision based on evidence and reason, not be swayed by images which display how graphic and ugly the process is.

So we should make decisions on 'evidence' that hides or ignores how graphic and ugly a process is, rather than pictoral evidence that actually shows how graphic and ugly it is?

:confused:

Did I just step into a parallel universe?

Now which is the most moral course of action for Mary to take?
    a) To refuse to have sex with her husband ever again.
    b) To have unprotected sex with her husband and to risk being infected with AIDS.
    c) To use a condom.
    a) Obviously the most difficult option but in accordance with Catholic teaching.
    b) is seriously immoral - deliberate infection of a spose.
    c) Also seriously immoral according to Catholic teaching. I know it seems harmless according to human notions of sin but I believe God would have a different view on the matter.

It's a difficult dilema. There are sometimes lasting and serious consequences of sin...
    It might be worth pointing out that calculation of fertile periods has a massive rate of failure and pregnancy compared to actual contraception.
    Are you referring to the rhythm method which is unreliable? Have you heard of the sympto-thermal method which can be 99% effective when used properly?

I think the point is that how ugly the process is should not neccesarily influence the decision on whether or not to proceed.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

You made a very poor comparrison in your post liking the abortion pics showing the reality of the 'procedure' to 'the removal of a tumour'. You'll find that showing a human baby (Or parasite as some of the atheists call tham:() after it has been cut to pieces is not to show how ugly it is. Its to show the reality, that one of our species has been mangled, and that there are many out there who want this 'choice' to be a human right. As PDN alluded too, using words like, 'procedure and 'termination', paints a certain picture. Showing an unborn child after it has undergone this 'procedure' gives us a bit of reality. One may continue to think, 'well, it was a parasite', and have no feeling about it, but at least they see the reality of the 'procedure'.

In saying this, I'm still not sure if its right to have these pics bandied about in front of kids in the middle of O'Connell street. Though a friend of mine who was 'pro-choice', whatever that is, was converted to anti-abortion after seeing the 'Bodyworlds' exhibition in London. She's got no religious views, but she had an affinity to her fellow humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think the point is that how ugly the process is should not neccesarily influence the decision on whether or not to proceed.

MrP

So we shouldn't show pictures of the war in Iraq ro the bombing in Gaza so that th epictures won't influence someones opinion or not whether to proceed?

Are you referring to the rhythm method which is unreliable? Have you heard of the sympto-thermal method which can be 99% effective when used properly?

I'm referring to any form of natural contraception, be it core body temperature, spinnbarkheit mucus or otherwise. The concept of perfect use is unapplicable to a real population in general terms, as human fallibility is a major contributor. Much like almost no-one in the population uses condoms correctly. In the case of imperfect use (which is likely) the pearl index of such methods is between 5-20, which is terrible compared to:

PI of 0.1-0.3 on the COCP
    PI of 0.1-0.2 on the Mirena

EDIT: This may be a bit of a tangent, but since we're on the topic of contraception, if a woman were to take the Oral Contraceptive Pill for medical reasons (e.g. fibroids, acne, PCOS), would it be acceptable to treat the contraception as a side-effect and abuse that without being sinful?

JimiTime wrote: »
    You made a very poor comparrison in your post liking the abortion pics showing the reality of the 'procedure' to 'the removal of a tumour'. You'll find that showing a human baby (Or parasite as some of the atheists call tham:() after it has been cut to pieces is not to show how ugly it is. Its to show the reality, that one of our species has been mangled, and that there are many out there who want this 'choice' to be a human right. As PDN alluded too, using words like, 'procedure and 'termination', paints a certain picture. Showing an unborn child after it has undergone this 'procedure' gives us a bit of reality. One may continue to think, 'well, it was a parasite', and have no feeling about it, but at least they see the reality of the 'procedure'.

In saying this, I'm still not sure if its right to have these pics bandied about in front of kids in the middle of O'Connell street. Though a friend of mine who was 'pro-choice', whatever that is, was converted to anti-abortion after seeing the 'Bodyworlds' exhibition in London. She's got no religious views, but she had an affinity to her fellow humans.

I'll go back to my tumour analogy. I know a tumour and abortion aren't the same thing, but the point here is that depending on how information is delivered, reason can be obscured by passion.

Imagine a patient has a tumour (not too difficult, we all know someone who does). The benefits of surgical excision are 50:50, ie the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the risks of the procedure, and complete removal with clear margins may not be possible, or perhaps there is significant spread. In any case, an argument could be made for both sides.

Imagine sitting a patient down and discussing the pros and cons of the situation, weighing up the possible outcomes and coming to a decision based on all the evidence.

Now imagine showing a patient a picture of a Grade 4 lung cancer eating away at a pathology sample with significant necrosis, maybe a few engorged lymph nodes and saying "how could you want this in your system??!?!?!"

the point is it obscures logic.

Well the lines are hugely blurred anyway. When some babies were aborted in the US, some of them lived outside the womb but then were killed, until President Bush put a stop to it. In the UK similar things have been reported to have happened. When does a child become a child, given these events it would be only fair to say that this happens in the womb if they could survive outside the womb at a certain point. It's clear that it is dangerous to have a confusion over what life is and lethal for many children who have undergone this. If we do not consider human life to start at conception, many more children who could survive outside of the womb could be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I don't really understand this?

How could someone morally object to a Catholic teaching? Many believe the Church is too strict in its teachings but I don't think it's ever been accused of being lax in its moral teachings. For example the Church teaches that artificial contraception is wrong but would anyone claim that not using contraception is sinful? Not likely.

Well if you dont agree with something, then claiming to be catholic is hypocritial is the moral problem.

Also the bible's authority still comes from the RCC. As there would be no complete bible until after all the letters had been written and then until they had been disseminated amongst christians.

Also the bible's authority still comes from the RCC. As there would be no complete bible until after all the letters had been written and then until they had been disseminated amongst christians.

Indeed, but at the time when all the letters were written, and circulating around all the churches, there was no structure that you could recognise as being anything like the RCC. There were a lot of churches in different places, some of which developed on their own lines without ever pledging allegiance to Rome, yet these same churches use the same Bible that we do.

BTW, just following your logic, do you think that an Irishman should obey laws that were originally introduced in this country by the English? Surely it is hypocritical to claim independence from England yet, if someone attempts to harm you, to expect the Guards to protect you on the basis of laws that were inherited from the British? Or, and here's a revolutionary idea, should laws be judged on their own merit instead of on who first implemented them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sinful perversion of God-given sexuality. But it does not teach us to hate gays; rather we are to seek their salvation.

It is widely accepted that homosexuality is not a life choice but a naturally occuring phenomenon in a fixed percentage of the population.

If "God" created us all then surely he is responsible for the phenomenon of homosexuality. There can be no salvation from something that is innate to the person.
    Same as for the heterosexual sin of fornication.

It is slighlty off-topic but can I ask you why god included the clitoris in the female form? Could this be not considered to be mickey-teasing (sorry!) of a perverse kind. Surely he should have known that by making the act of copulation extremely pleasurable his flock would have been drawn to it even if not purely for procreation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Firstly, there is no such thing as a separate priesthood in the New covenant Church. All that passed with the abolition of the Old Covenant.

What do you mean the abolition of the Old Covenant? Isn't the Old Testament the word of god also? Or did he realise his mistakes and publish a revised edition?

I am genuinely interested in the reasoning behind this.

The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sinful perversion of God-given sexuality. But it does not teach us to hate gays; rather we are to seek their salvation.

It is widely accepted that homosexuality is not a life choice but a naturally occuring phenomenon in a fixed percentage of the population.

If "God" created us all then surely he is responsible for the phenomenon of homosexuality. There can be no salvation from something that is innate to the person.

MODERATOR'S NOTE
    This has been discussed ad infinitum in the homosexuality thread. If anyone wants to post the same stuff for the umpteenth time then take it there. Any further homosexuality posts in this thread will be deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement