Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IUP programme

• 04-01-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking about doing it this summer. Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

What do you mean you're thinking of doing it - ie as a participant, a guide, giving a talk etc etc :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As a participant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd assume he means as a participant (gotta make reasonable assumptions, young King).

I was a guide/babysitter/helper monkey for the course many many moons ago and everyone on it seemed to have a good time. It used to be run over three weeks, these days it's run over two, with each group staying for a week. You'll have pseudolectures and labs during the day, with recreational activities during the evening. No idea what they run as recreational activities these days, when I was a guide it was stuff like swimming, softball, a ceilí and a table quiz. As you can expect at these things, the emphasis in the evenings is getting to know your fellow participants. I suspect somehow that it's a staggering cost to attend the week at this point. The woman that used to run it was very professional about what the week was - apart from a week-long summer camp the underlying tone is all about selling going to university and in particular going to UL. I can only assume that her high standards have continued, I know that the marketing committee in the college take a big interest in the programme so there should at least be quite a number of checks and balances there. Lecturers are there to sell their own courses so they should be pretty informative about what the course entails and be up for answering any questions anyone has, plus you get a bit of handson experience so it might well give you a better idea on what you'd like to do.

The IUP office used to be open for six months of the year for enquiries, I'm guessing it's still six months as more would be pointless. Should be open either now or soon. Contact details at the bottom of this page.

sceptre wrote: »
    pseudolectures
    What are these? Just short lectures? .Its expensive all right but anyway!!! I dont think the office is open yet because i just got an intercom with a load of options.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What are these? Just short lectures?
    Pretty much. I suppose I'm using pseudo- as "fake" or "simulated". For the most part they won't be like the lectures you'd get as part of the course as their purpose is both to give the students in insight into what the course is about so you'll have more of a general intro of a whole department then a sample of, say, Contract law 1 lecture 4. There should also be more of a possibility for questions and participation (at least if it's done right) than you'd normally get in lectures (questions and participation are usually, though not always, a phenomenon of tutorials).
    I dont think the office is open yet because i just got an intercom with a load of options.
    Ah. Try ringing 061-202700, that's main university reception, and ask. If the office isn't open at all, you could try being put through to admissions, they may know particulars of the programme, though they'll defer to the IUP organisers themselves on the details.

• Advertisement

I only got an email back from the organisers today, the course starts on monday 15th June and ends on Thursday 18th, according to the email. I understood it was monday to friday. Do I go down on sunday ond come back tthursday or friday morning does anyone know?

Probably. The only way you're going to get an answer to that is to email them back and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

sceptre wrote: »
    young King

Its been a long time since I've been called young. You just made my day! :)

Nothing much to add, its all pretty much been covered. Its an interesting idea alright, especially if you are unsure about what to do in college. The IUP will give you a flavour of everything.

If, however, you are set on not doing science (for example) it is possible to avoid the "pseudo"-lectures on that area and attend some other event instead. All in all, a useful few days - albeit fairly expensive!

Even if you are not intent on going to UL the general overview of teh various courses apply equally to say UCC, NUIG or wherever.

Best of lcuk!

Hi guys, Im just back from IUP and can safely say it was one of the best things I ever did. The lectures were quite interactive with games ,lab,experiments etc so it really wasnt that serious at all. Most of the people that dealt with us were postgrad students and teaching assistants rather than lecturers. As sceptre said we did soccer, swimming, disco, table quizetc in the evening. On the first night there was a choice of what you did which was great. Cant really fault anything except in the evenings you had to go straight back to the apartment, we would have liked to play football on the grass in the courtyard in dromroe.

Advertisement