Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best graphics card out there at the moment?

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey,

I'm not very well up on computers but I was wondering if maybe you guys knew what would be the best graphics card to get for my computer,

AMD athlon 64X2 dual core processor 3800+ 2.01ghz
    3gb RAM
    32-bit operating system
    GeForce 6150 SE graphics card
    ..... I don't know what else....it's an inspiron 531 (I've lost the manual)

so... the graphics card is truely woeful and I haven't been able to play many new games because it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, I was hoping maybe I could get some help in knowing what to look for when buying a new graphics card (if it's compatible etc.) and maybe if you guys know a specific model that would suit me for my current needs. I kinda just want something I can install (or have installed) that isn't going to be lacking with every game I buy released after the year 2006.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! (and please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is it a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Am well if it is a desktop then, you don't want to spend to much on a new graphics card as it's doing to be severly cpu limited as it is.

This Radeon 4850 for €135 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=365213 is the most I would spend for a system like that.

Anything else would be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I'd say the 4850 is overkill, that cpu is grand but it will hold back a 4850.The cpu is still up to task for most games, it all depends on how much you want to pay for a card. I would personally be looking for at least a 4670.

4670 is probably the perfect card for your machine, but get a 4830.

cry2.jpg

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1773190/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4830-512-mb-ddr.html

Which Inspiron do you have?

inspiron-desktops.jpg

If its the skinny one your in trouble.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Most new shiny fast graphics cards need their own power.. therefore you need a stronger power supply for many of them..

It all depends on what games you want to play aswell, if you just play some older games then you don't need a huge new graphics card..

Its also important to know what inspiron you have, thick one or the skinny one..

Squall where on earth did you get that chart from? 9800GT is only about 10 or 15% faster than a 9600GT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

It's the thicker one, I don't want to spend too much on one, but I do want one that will run new games, thanks for your replies, it didn't occur to me that a powerful graphics card might be too much for the system to handle.

So you guys would recommend radeon rather than GeForce?

• Advertisement
Advertisement