Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The pressup challenge

• 04-01-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I play hurling, and of course every year i try to bulk up a bit in the gym before the serious physical hurling training kicks in. When this does i have to stop the gym just to recover from each training session.

This year im setting myself a challenge. On the 31st of January i plan to do 1000 press ups in one hour.

Can this be done? Well lets find out.

So far this year i have done:

2nd January - Cycled to and from work (13 miles each way)
    4th January - 150 pressups over the course of an hour. Now im b***ixed. I'm going to need a lot of work to complete the challenge. I've let myself go since training and matches finishes last year.

Kicked off a new diet for January as well.

Today had bowl of muesli for breakfast (11.00)
    2 hours later coffee and 2 slices brown toast (13.00)
    2 hours later 2 slices brown toast with houmus (15.00)
    about to have chicken curry with rice for dinner (19.00)

My plan is as follows (feel the need to bulk up as well)

Mondays Wednesdays Fridays - Weight program (legs arms chest and shoulders)
    Tuesdays Thursdays Saturdays - as many press ups as i can do. Pushing from sets of 25 every 3-5 minutes with lunges in between for a bit of leg work for the first week.
    Monday-Friday - Cycle the 13 miles each way to work.

This challenge is based on the following (which i have been pushing my gf to do) http://hundredpushups.com/ except i'm doing a thousand with a time limit.

I thought keeping a log may help motivate me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Do you mean 31st January 2010?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Richiethehurler

31/1/2009 - 4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

17 push ups a minute...at 1 a second that would leave you with roughly 40sec rest between sets...for 60 sets... to give you 1000 in an hour...imagine the tiredness and soreness of the muscles by say set 20!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Richiethehurler

yep - did 500 in an hour before after 2 weeks of training before but then gave up because of the boredom of it more than the pain. This time im determined though. It hurt for the first week but after that it was just like building up endurance. So while it sounds bad there, the fact is after a week i should be able to do sets of 50 per minute, leaving me with a 2 minute break between. It'll be hard work alright but sure we'll see how i go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Why don't you see how many pushups you can do in 2 minutes then shave that number as much as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

When you do go for it throw up a video of it, whether successful or not.

I might be way off but blasting out that many full pressups seems pretty incredible to me, I also reckon it will increase endurance if anything as opposed to any sort of bulk however I could be miles off :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

gabgab wrote: »
    When you do go for it throw up a video of it, whether successful or not.

I might be way off but blasting out that many full pressups seems pretty incredible to me, I also reckon it will increase endurance if anything as opposed to any sort of bulk however I could be miles off :confused:

A good chance of injury I reckon trying to do that many push-ups - that's if you could even get to anything near 1k push-ups. Plus don't see the point of it at anyway really - focusing all your effort on one single exercise (even if it is one of the best moves around) - would be far more impressive to try and work towards doing the 300 workout or seeing how many pull-ups/squats/burpees you can do in x minutes.

Advertisement