Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax overpayment

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Anyone any ideas on this? Bought new car last jan (1.9 TDI), taxed for full year, then tax rates changed mid year, so I think its considerably less to tax same car now. Question is, when I tax it for this year, is there anyway to claim back/offset what I basically "overpaid" because I paid full amount for full year at the higher rate??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I doubt it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you taxed it for the full year last month would you be volunteering to pay the increse that came into effect on 1st Jan seeing as you are now underpaying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nope, you paid for for 12 months tax and received it, deal is done.

What you could have done is paid for 6 months and renewed it. You also could have paid for 3months at a time, this would have let you renew at the new rate sooner.
    It's cheaper to pay for 12 months in full so they you'd have to take that into into account.

Your tax rate went down but you won't get a refund. If it went up, would you be offering to pay extra?

Suck it up and be thankful your rate went down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

mikemac wrote: »
    Nope, you paid for for 12 months tax and received it, deal is done.

What you could have done is paid for 6 months and renewed it. You also could have paid for 3months at a time, this would have let you renew at the new rate sooner.
    It's cheaper to pay for 12 months in full so they you'd have to take that into into account.

Your tax rate went down but you won't get a refund. If it went up, would you be offering to pay extra?

Suck it up and be thankful your rate went down :)
    Really? I could have paid for 3 months?? Paying for 12 months is cheaper..really?? Wow thanks, so helpful..

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you taxed it for the full year last month would you be volunteering to pay the increse that came into effect on 1st Jan seeing as you are now underpaying?
    not due til feb..ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

magconn wrote: »
    Really? I could have paid for 3 months?? Paying for 12 months is cheaper..really?? Wow thanks, so helpful..

Looks like a sarcastic reply to me.

Sorry if I or everyone else who posted can't reply with the news you wanted to hear, I did use a smilie though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ur tax went up, it might be cheaper if ya bought the car brand new since july

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

OP just be grateful that it's coming down & that your not locked into the old system as was the original plan for cars registered before July 1st :)

mmm, thats what i reckon but no harm to ask..I thought! thanks for your non condescending answer . appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

guil07 wrote: »
    ur tax went up, it might be cheaper if ya bought the car brand new since july
    Read the OP.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

magconn wrote: »
    not due til feb..ha!!

will you be offering to pay the increased rate so?( I assume your tax is due again?)

"ha!!" ? are you 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The easiest way to work this out and make it plain and simple is for magconn to tell us what 08 1.9 TDi he has and for one of us to put in €uro terms what he pays in 08 and what he pays in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ninty9er wrote: »
    The easiest way to work this out and make it plain and simple is for magconn to tell us what 08 1.9 TDi he has and for one of us to put in €uro terms what he pays in 08 and what he pays in 09.

having a slow day ninty9er?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    having a slow day ninty9er?
    I have a thesis to avoid writing!!

Advertisement