Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info about thomond

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hey! im pretty much dead set on going to UL next year and im probably going to apply for thomond village. i was just wondering how the apartments are kitted out, like what is already provided and what do i need to bring. for example is there already a t.v., microwave, cutlery, etc. id also love to hear what residents or past residents of thomond thought of the place.... cheers, much love!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I never lived in Thomond, but did live in Plassey, and my boyfriend at the time lived in Thomond so I did spend a lot of time there! It's a nice place to live. Seems to have the right mix of noise and quiet. The noise isn't excessive like. As far as I know the apartments have everything except a duvet and pillows. Cutlery, hoover, iron, microwave etc. is all provided with the apartment. That's the way it was in Plassey anyway!

Edit: Although the bedrooms are lovely with nice double beds, I found them a bit cramped over all. That said, it was the same in Plassey.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I never lived on campus, but if I had to do 4 years on campus it'd be Plassey for 1st year and Dromroe for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

From what I've seen so far, it's the strictest run village on campus. I live in Cappa, but have a good few friends up there, so I'd walk up a good bit. It's a fairly decent set-up. It has a television and cutlery, so no need to bring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

jkeire wrote: »
    From what I've seen so far, it's the strictest run village on campus.
    You haven't spent much time in Plassey then have you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

1huge1 wrote: »

You'll have to explain that one...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Yup. Wouldn't be down there as much during the day, but familiar with both places. I've been out a good few nights in both places and Thomond seems to be mostly quiet at night. I've heard that village management can change from time to time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Plassey is the maddest place on campus...the Stables Lodge wouldn't have gotten a look in when I were a lad:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ninty9er wrote: »
    Plassey is the maddest place on campus...the Stables Lodge wouldn't have gotten a look in when I were a lad:pac:
    Oh definitely agree there, such a good laugh for first years but the amount of house parties stopped by security is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Oh definitely agree there, such a good laugh for first years but the amount of house parties stopped by security is unreal.

Hardly surprising when the contract says that house parties aren't allowed. Security doing their job, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Hi There,
    I live in thomond myself - fantastic place - You have pretty much everything you could possibly need for college life already provided except a microwave which can be handy.

The management in Thomond are strict but to be honest if you behave yourself and don't do anything very bad they wont bother you at all.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Lived there for 1st and 2nd year. 1st year was mental, especially during rag week. 2nd year was alot quieter - maybe because most of my friends moved elsewhere. Lovely place to live though, only bad thing is the walk over the bridge whenever it's windy. I've been reduced to booting the bridge in a fit of frustration before, be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

sounds good, me mates goin for kilmurray but i lived in an apartment where i had ta share a bathroom with a couple of strangers before n it drove me mad cuz one of em was a filthy fuker! dats d main reason im goin for thomond cuz of d ensuite n i heard it was a better spot for first years dan dromroe... its pretty far away from everythin though aint it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

its pretty far away from everythin though aint it?
    I've never lived in a student village but yeah, I'd opine that at this stage it's effectively the most remote. Cappavilla used to be a lot farther away but now that the [edestrian bridge is open, I reckon Thomond is the longest walk. It's not as though it's miles away though.

Although it is in county Clare and that's a different universe in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

sceptre wrote: »
    Although it is in county Clare and that's a different universe in its own way.

Quiet you. You'll give us all away.

<_<
    >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Hi,

Im living in thomond at the moment. Im a postgrad but the only difference between the postgrad and undergrad appartments is the postgrad are 4 bed and the undergrad are 6!
    They supply u with a duvet but no pillow, all rooms are ensuite, the desk is really nice and big!!
    in the kitchen there are all u need, but no microwave so you might wanna bring your own one if u have one!
    They are a grand place to live, and they really arent that far from places as people say! I tend to cycle most places anyway! there are bike sheds for every block which are great!!

anything else just ask!
    hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Thomond is probably the furthest away of the on campus villages but it's all relative; it's still only a 7 minute walk to the main building

Advertisement