Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden sheds

Options
  • 04-01-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on where to get a garden shed, preferably 6 x 4 or 7 x 3, wooden shed for around the €250 mark?

We've so far tried Homebase, who had a shed we wanted on sale for €140 but none left; Argos, same story, shed about €300; Woodies - too expensive, at €370; B'n'Q, same story.

Has anyone bought a shed up North, or online from the UK? The prices there are around the £140/£180 for what we're looking for, so price is great, but just wondering if anyone else has had experience buying one online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

Has anyone ever bought a Shed from these guys?
    http://www.waltons.co.uk/

I just cant bring my self to pay €400 here in ireland for a 6 * 4 shed. or does anyone know of suppliers in the munster area offering good deals on sheds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I got one flat packed from B&Q early last year.

Was 150 euro. I required a bit of beefing up on the floor with 2x3 and bracing but should last many a year now.

if you are anyways handy with a screw gun then you should give it a bash.

tis a good way to spend a sunny day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

twilo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought a Shed from these guys?
    http://www.waltons.co.uk/

I just cant bring my self to pay €400 here in ireland for a 6 * 4 shed. or does anyone know of suppliers in the munster area offering good deals on sheds?

€400, if the shed has a steel roof, a window & is delivered and erected on site for you, is actually a good price. Felt roofs are fairly sh*te & won't last as long as the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dublin Mama

The delivery charge from waltons is 288 £. I'd say it's not worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Anyone know where I can buy a garden shed approx. 12x8 at recession prices.
    Tks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

sorry to piggy back

im after a 8 x 6 or 10 x 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brundlefly

caveat emptor: the sheds supplied to most of the english/irish chain stores ....the display ones wobble ....go have a look at them and give em a good shake .

there are good sheds out there for a reasonable price but ALWAYS have a look at the real thing not just a picture in a brochure or on tinternet .

look for a minimum of 2x2 supports and the heaviest gauge wood you can afford also insulation if possibe as you can then safely wire it up for a light or a tv for when you aint allowed into the house !!
    it will be worth the extra and wont end up costing you more in the long run.

oh and there is no such thing as a no maintenance timber ...no matter what some salesmen will tell you ...so ya gotta keep em painted to keep em right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brundlefly

"Felt roofs are fairly sh*te & won't last as long as the walls."
    hmmmm...not exactly...
    depending on the grade of felt used and how mush weather hits it the felt should last for at least 8 years ...and it is actually a pretty easy fix (about 25 quid for a roll of 45 kg mineral felt in any builders providers) ....dont forget to but felt nails not slab nails unless you want to turn the shed into an iron maiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Shed threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

3 people I know have got a shed,6x8 from this guy in the last few weeks. He delivers and erects it. Takes about 30 minutes to put up. 379 EUROS altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Sorry,his name is Thomas 086 3017176.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Could anyone help me in the process of choosing a shed??
    Garage conversion is almost complete so I need a shed as a "utility" room for a washine machine,dryer and chest freezer either in a 8x6 or 8x8 but what has me confused is the different types of finish.

Some places are saying go for a "tanalised" one no matter what type of boards are used,others are saying barrell board,kiln dried,10mm,16mm,22mm,32mm--Im getting more confused the more places I ring :mad::mad::mad:

Steel is not really an option.

Tiglin have an 8x8 rustic finish for 600 installed.Premier have a 8x8 rustic for 520 installed.

Then you have the next level--T & G kiln dried for 150-200 extra and then a third level of "pressure treated" for even more.

Im just looking for something that will last 10 years or so even if I have to treat it every year.

Seems like the whole "sales talk" is getting to me!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

Just wondering why steel isn't an option?
    Just got a 6x4 steel shed from Homebase, on offer at 120 + 30 delivery.
    The flat pack is sitting in my living room, waiting for better weather to lay flags as a base and prob. a day to erect. Of course I may be very unimpressed after trying to follow the instructions - will post back when finished.
    In your case, two of these might be a cost effective and more durable/maintenance free option?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Graaaaa wrote: »
    Just wondering why steel isn't an option?

Honestly--preparing the base is not a job I want to take on.That and the fact that Ive read a few forums and the self assembly of some of those steel sheds can have people pulling their hair out :)

With a wood shed I can just have the blocks ready and the shed will be delivered and installed.Makes life a bit easier for the others in the house--rather than have to put up with me throwing tools around and using foul language when it doesnt work out ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

When it comes to picking a garden shed you get what you pay for, basic lapped panels are bottom end of quality and price range and pressure treated shiplap at the top end.
    If I were buying a shed, I'd go for quality timbers (long life) and this speciifcation usually comes with quality fittings also. Saving € 200 at the outset is IMO poor value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I got a metal Yardmaster 8x9 shed delivered to my door for 330 Euro from the North. It took me about a full day to assemble it, and I was lucky I already had a concrete area to put it in, but it's fantastic. The quality is superb.

I use it as a workshop for my paint business for smaller items. Got it from Taylors Garden Buildings, and it arrived in 2 flatpacks, and about a gazillion screws and washers.

Sorry about the triple photo, but I had this in the gardening forum so might aswell reuse it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93290&stc=1&d=1255607517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I just got a 6x4 shed in b&q for €112. Now as previous posters outlined, yes, you do get what you pay for. The quality isn't a patch on another one there that was €240, but right now I'm on a limited budget so needs must!

I'm treating the wood before I assemble it, putting a double coat on so it's full protected.

I might need to re-enforce the floor. Overall happy with the price I paid for it though.

Advertisement