Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 04-01-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello, i'm a qualified electrician who's thinking about going to college. I'm 23 so i know i can apply as a mature student, what i want to find out is how i go about applying to get into a college?, and any advice of other people in similar circumstances as myself. I'm thinking about doing building services engineering as i'm not very interested in the field of electronics. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

You'll have to apply through the CAO (unless the course you're looking to do isn't in the CAO) but as you probably know your leaving cert results don't matter. There are a few links in my signature which might give some guidance, as well as this link - though keep in mind that anything in that thread may change for when you are looking to go to college.

I think there's a deadline of the 1st of February for mature students too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Firstly, check out the college website and find out as much info as you can. I'd then try contacting the person in charge of admissions to the course. 1. Because they will be able to answer your questions and 2. you are making yourself known to them and will show your eagerness.

The mature student route is usually through the CAO, the deadline is the 1st Feb. You have to fill out an extra page on the form and supply certified copies of exams etc. Some unis ask you to supply a supplementary application form directly to them before the 1st Feb as well.

Then there are other unis that you need to apply to directly and don't go through the CAO at all. (All this info can be found on page 6 of the CAO handbook and you'll find out by contacting the relevant admission offices).

The deadline of the 1st Feb will come around pretty quick so try get everything sorted now. Fill out a rough application form first and see if there is anything you can add or take out. You need to sell yourself on this form. Have someone look over your completed application form...... and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bobby_1

thank you both.

Advertisement