Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saleproof cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Who would buy this for any money right now? Not a bad car but it'd be easier to sell sand to the Arabs. If the link doesn't work it's a 2006 Peugeot 607 3.0 V6 petrol retailing for.......30,000! Wrong badge, wrong engine, wrong price, high fuel consumption and big tax. Sale proof.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/607/2.9-V6/200824189075804/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

coolbeans wrote: »
    Wrong badge,

Only to a badge snob.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Only to a badge snob.

I'm no snob but this is the wrong badge at this end of the market. Reality is the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I find anything big-engined in this country is hard to sell, be it petrol or diesel.

Indeed. The UK have more realistic tax rates:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

and their fuel seems to be par with ours now :

UK - Today's national averages
    Petrol
    87.2 p/litre
    Diesel
    99.8 p/litre

My 'Big Engined' 1.6 is 480 a year it's a joke!

As for unsellable cars:

Maybe this: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1069915

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

That is the most depressing thing i've read on boards in a long while.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'm no snob but this is the wrong badge at this end of the market. Reality is the issue here.

The reality is that the "right" badge is a stupid reason to buy a car if you want reliability and value for money. If it's simply a mad passion for cars then fire away. :pac:

Volvoboy wrote: »

Seconded :(

:mad: Utter greed

Volvoboy wrote: »
    House wrote: »
    Seconded :(

:mad: Utter greed

I know guys :eek: and the pre-2001 (£185 for all cars over 1.6) absolutely sickened me! They pay £400 for the worst polluting car in the CO2 band ..........This country gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

This IS most upsetting :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I know guys :eek: and the pre-2001 (£185 for all cars over 1.6) absolutely sickened me! They pay £400 for the worst polluting car in the CO2 band ..........This country gets worse.

We've the good people in Finna Fail to thank :mad:

• Advertisement

I can't believe that the UK govt are stupid enough to tax cars on C02 emissions regardless of miles driven, just like our gormless greens.

If my dad drives 1,000 miles a year in a 4.0 V8 petrol, he pays 10 times the tax of a guy driving 20,000 miles a year in a low emitting diesel. Why are the polluters still getting away scot free?

If FF/Greens really cared about the environment, it would all be on petrol/diesel. :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If i lived in England, my tax would be about €190. I'm paying €1200!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

I can't believe that the UK govt are stupid enough to tax cars on C02 emissions regardless of miles driven, just like our gormless greens.

If my dad drives 1,000 miles a year in a 4.0 V8 petrol, he pays 10 times the tax of a guy driving 20,000 miles a year in a low emitting diesel. Why are the polluters still getting away scot free?

If FF/Greens really cared about the environment, it would all be on petrol/diesel. :( :mad:

Excellent point and makes perfect sense. However, given it makes perfect sense, that's why it doesn't work in this country - however, I don't mean to raise issues of government etc (I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else for that!!!). Still, great point.

The reality is that the "right" badge is a stupid reason to buy a car if you want reliability and value for money. If it's simply a mad passion for cars then fire away. :pac:

Hmmm...I think you're missing my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. The polluter should pay. It is really very simple and very effective. Maybe the Greens do care, but they either don't really understand, they do not have the balls to stand up for their principles or maybe they just like their ministerial power and salaries a little bit too much...

Damn, this should be a poll about which of the above three categories fits the Greens best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Anyone know why this is, i like the look of them but never drove one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Abolish motor tax, raise the tax's on petrol to make up the difference. The more you drive the more you pay in tax.

Of course, then what will happen is you would have to make exceptions for everybody who drives for a living or works in a business because the higher operating costs would have to be payed for by the consumer. Then you would have to enforce it and everybody would know that guy who gets cheap petrol making you feel like your getting screwed.

Lets face facts here, the current system although not great is in reality a single once off payment a year that can at least be accounted for and everybody has dealt with it for so long it would only lead to large problems if you try to change it.

Any car that is 20+k with a large engine and low fuel economy is becoming unsellable if its not a absolute steal. And even then.......

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Im sorry , but I dont agree with the idea of putting the tax on petrol so that the more you drive ,the more you pay.
    Many of the people I know are struggling to survive in the present economic situation and the experience of keeping a car (any car)on the road at the moment is nearly impossible.
    Most of them need their car just to get to work and back.
    Tyres are being run down to way past the legal limit . services are being skipped and the 3 monthly road tax demand is a bill that they dont need.
    If you can afford to drive a Merc. bmw, lexus or audi regardless of age then you can afford to pay a premium for motor tax, even if you dont realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Who would buy this for any money right now? Not a bad car but it'd be easier to sell sand to the Arabs. If the link doesn't work it's a 2006 Peugeot 607 3.0 V6 petrol retailing for.......30,000! Wrong badge, wrong engine, wrong price, high fuel consumption and big tax. Sale proof.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/607/2.9-V6/200824189075804/advert

Yikes:eek::eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C6/2.7-HDI-/200801191354147/advert

I'll see your 607 and raise you a 2006 2.7 C6 @ €40k

ninty9er wrote: »
    Yikes:eek::eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C6/2.7-HDI-/200801191354147/advert

I'll see your 607 and raise you a 2006 2.7 C6 @ €40k

Winnah!

There's a hell of alot better metal out there for 40K. Same car will be 20K at the end of the 2009 if he finds anyone stupid and blind enough!

• Advertisement

Winnah!

There's a hell of alot better metal out there for 40K. Same car will be 20K at the end of the 2009 if he finds anyone stupid and blind enough!

Hmmm. I love those Citroens. It's a depreciation devil though no doubt about it. I think the Pug is more "saleproof" though. It's a 3.0 petrol, and they've been around for donkey's years. At least the C6 is diesel and relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hmmm. I love those Citroens. It's a depreciation devil though no doubt about it. I think the Pug is more "saleproof" though. It's a 3.0 petrol, and they've been around for donkey's years. At least the C6 is diesel and relatively new.

The C6 is more expensive which is the clincher.

Advertisement