Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unprecedented new car sales??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

I'll have a little bit of whatever he's smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I've heard first hand from one big dealer that they have sold 2 cars so far in 2009 with orders for only 5 more in January.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Havent seen a single 09 reg yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

ninty9er wrote: »

I had to laugh....though. Does anyone else reckon all the "sold" stickers at the front of the lot are a ploy to inspire consumer confidence and get people to ACTUALLY buy cars.

Might be, but its never been a better time to buy a new car if you have some financial security.If I had that security I wouldnt hesitate to get a 0% loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

I'd just buy from the UK and import it

Save at least 10 grand

• Advertisement

MrJetlag wrote: »
    I'd just buy from the UK and import it

Save at least 10 grand

Going from the ads on carzone I have just saved 24K on a 520D by buying a nearly new model from the UK with 7000 miles. You would be crazy to buy one new in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

09 d 555 - new model fiesta, old dear... bet she doesn't need free medical card!!

Anyway, i like the fact this idiot can arrange finance in 1 hour...with who "honest Tony"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyway, i like the fact this idiot can arrange finance in 1 hour...with who "honest Tony"

Plenty of finance companies have online forms that give an answer straight away or within a few mins. Thats been like that for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Spotted a 09 C 291 today in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

'Unprecedented' meaning way lower than expected. The dealer is doing his best to shift used cars in order to make financial room to take new stock. Reducing prices on used vehicles is the order of the day. They simply have to take the pain now rather than hold out - holding out will only see stock further devalued resulting in further losses - especially as great savings can be had by importing used vehicles. It won't be long before parity exists between used prices here and in the UK. This will not go down to well with Irish owners as their vehicles become seriously devalued in relation to their expectations.

Plenty of dealers are in this place at the moment. Maybe he can get a finance decision in minutes but I'd be concerned as to how many will be approved. The January 10 day figures will make depressing reading for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

crosstownk wrote: »
    The January 10 day figures will make depressing reading for all concerned.
    Except those who have been sitting pretty for the last 10 years not borrowing and not caring that their car is 5 years old, these people will get their finance....or what they need of it within minutes let alone an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Saw 09 W 1 in dublin today. An audi a4, reserved for the lord mayor of waterford.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Plenty of finance companies have online forms that give an answer straight away or within a few mins. Thats been like that for a few years now.

Not these days!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Except those who have been sitting pretty for the last 10 years not borrowing and not caring that their car is 5 years old, these people will get their finance....or what they need of it within minutes let alone an hour.
    Finance can be much harder to get these days!

quick approval, with no credit record!! unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Pedantic mode on - a VW/Audi/Mercedes dealer and a spelling mistake in the first line of the first page.

Professionalism at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Saw 09 W 1 in dublin today. An audi a4, reserved for the lord mayor of waterford.

Lol, an A4, really spoiling himself..

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Lol, an A4, really spoiling himself..

Well if our Taoiseach drives an E200 then you can hardly expect some clown of a local councilor to be botting around in a blacked out S500.

kbannon wrote: »
    Finance can be much harder to get these days!

My mother earns just slightly more than minimum wage and only a month ago received a call from her "liaison officer" at our local branch asking if she would be changing her car or doing any home improvements and if she'd need a loan for it.

She gets this call from the same guy once every 6-8 months.

Banks are still throwing credit at people with good track records.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my sis is supposed to get her new ford fiesta today ....... her reason for buying is that she was made permanent before christmas ..... so decided to spend ..... I think she's crazy !!!

she decided to go for the old style fiesta..... according to her, its my money I dont like the new shape so I can pay for them to make the car the way I want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My mother earns just slightly more than minimum wage and only a month ago received a call from her "liaison officer" at our local branch asking if she would be changing her car or doing any home improvements and if she'd need a loan for it.

She gets this call from the same guy once every 6-8 months.

Banks are still throwing credit at people with good track records.
    I did use the word 'can'.
    However, I thought that cold calling offering loans was now outlawed?!?!
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    my sis is supposed to get her new ford fiesta today ....... her reason for buying is that she was made permanent before christmas ..... so decided to spend ..... I think she's crazy !!!

she decided to go for the old style fiesta..... according to her, its my money I dont like the new shape so I can pay for them to make the car the way I want it.
    Did she get much of a discount off the Ford dealer?

kbannon wrote: »
    I thought that cold calling offering loans was now outlawed?!?!
    Cold calling I think yes, but it's a customer relations call which circumvents the rule I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bought my BMW at the start of last year in Uk and saved about €10k even with VRT...savings now are even greater with a crap sterling.

Will never buy in Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

PCPhoto wrote: »

A fiesta..OMG..has she no imagination..she must be a teacher...:D

Advertisement