Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Dry Lining Boards

Options
  • 04-01-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm getting my kitchen drylined, someone suggested hanging the plasterboard on lats as the plaster will not crack if done that way.

I've had the plasterboards glued to the wall before and with mushroom studs and I got a few hairline cracks that was easy to deal with, is there any advantage to mounting the plasterboard on lats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    I'm getting my kitchen drylined, someone suggested hanging the plasterboard on lats as the plaster will not crack if done that way.

I've had the plasterboards glued to the wall before and with mushroom studs and I got a few hairline cracks that was easy to deal with, is there any advantage to mounting the plasterboard on lats.

Yes. The battens provide a straighter finish. (depending on original wall)

Less mess ( big plus for me)

easyer in every way

Better grounds for screwing fittings to the wall

I good opportunity to insulate between battens

Less cold bridging effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

As above it depends on the quality of the block work wall. How plumb the wall is and what type of construction it is.

If kitchen is solid / hollow 9' block then definately batten & insulate between battens.

Mushroom fixings into the inner leaf of 300mm cavity wall is fine - quick and mesh free (provided the wall is plumb)
    Kitchen wall unit can be fixed thru slab into block with slightly longer fixings.

Advertisement