Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantazia NYE 2008/09 Review/Video's/Photos

• 04-01-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

All i can say is :eek::eek: whoah, what an amazing nite, it really was amazing and one of those "had to be there" Raves, me and the bird met some other Ravers from England in a bar beside the Q Club for a few beers before going in shortly after 10pm, security professional and courteous and entry was quick, once inside after going the cloakroom and getting some drinks, we headed to the main room which was already going off nicely, DJ Phantasy was playing some 93 Hardcore which was going down very well, the production was excellent, a couple of lazers with video screens loads of backdrops and lots of psychedelic art in the main arena which looked brilliant, Phantasy's set ended and Tango & Ratty came on and started playing an underground Jungle Tekno set, no instanly recognisable tunes in their set unless your in the know;) went down very well with the old skool purists sick of the same anthems all the time, as midnight approached the main arena was packed, the venue itself is a complete and utter maze and unless you know were your going you'll get completely lost (there was 9 arenas)the crowd were now giving it everything, the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic.

Ratpack done the countdown to midnight and as the clock struck midnight there was a massive explosion of party streamers,etc from 2 gigantic things hanging from the ceiling, what a rush it was as, the Ratpack then started their set and were fantastic for about 25 mins playing a really good mixture of all sorts, even some newer stuff but after that they started playing the same obvious anthems so we went walkabouts to the Jungle room which was also heaving and the smell of weed was overpowering (actually the smell of weed throughout the whole venue all nite was not that i was complaining) i think Grooverider and Fabio were playing a B2B set, serious Junglist pressure and the MC was hyping up the crowd who were going for it, the bird isn't into Jungle so we went to the Techno room where Loftgroover was playing a Gabba set, again the crowd were going for it big style but Gabba is too much for me so we went to the House room beside the bar where some DJ who (dunno who it was) was playing a really cool mixmatch of Funky N Electro House which was also going down very well with the crowd.

Back to the main arena shortly after 1am for Altern-8 (who should've had the midnight set IMO)what can i say that hasn't already been said about the legendary Altern-8, they never disappoint and played the set of the nite, loved every minute of it and the crowd did too judging by their reaction.

Mickey Fin was on next and played some 94/95 Jungle which went down ok but you could tell the crowd were looking for Hardcore so by the time Krome & Time came on people were getting excited but shockingly enough from these legends they just played obvious anthems and were dissapointing, Shades Of Rhythm however who were on afterwards saved the day playing a cracking DJ set especially the last half a hour of their set which was superb.

Things started to get somewhat messy after a while :o:D (well it was NYE) and i can just remmeber floating about from room to room taking in the amazing atmosphere and talking to random people all of whom were absolutely sound as you would except from a Rave like this, great to see people as young as 18 there and even some people in their 40's grooving away, even my bird who was always just into clubs and not Raves said it was one of the best NYE she has had, the music ended up 6am we went to one of the smaller rooms where the afterparty was kicking, come 7.45am i was absolutely mullerered and had to leave, if this would've been 10/15 years ago id still be there come lunchtime but can't do it anymore so we got a taxi back to our Hotel and stayed in bed most of the day and night.

To conclude, Fantazia must be commended for putting on an amazing event, even with stiff competition with Moondance on in London and Slammin Vinyl on in the NEC in Birmingham also they pulled out all the stops and put on a truly memorable nite that will live long in the memory, clearly Underground Hardcore Music is still massive despite being all but ignored by the mainstream dance magazines, the crowd also deserve a special mention, there wasn't one bit of aggro or bad vibes all nite that i seen and everyone i came into contact with were friendly and there to enjoy themselves, id sooner go to something like this once a year then some sh*t club full of pretentious people nodding their heads to music, FANTAZIA =the real deal.

Video's/Photos coming soon.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sounds like a decent night, I'll have to get around to checking out an old skool event while i'm in London:)
    Look forward to seeing some pics of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sounds a good night alright, certainly beats my few drinks at home and looking out the window at other peoples fireworks :D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Sounds a good night alright, certainly beats my few drinks at home and looking out the window at other peoples fireworks :D

jaysus man there's no chance of me doing sh*t like that:D i always like to get away for NYE, ill never stay in this sh*thole of a country again again for NYE.

Well I did have a good CD on, and a few mates around, and a spliff - well a few of them :pac:

Difficult with kids these days to go on a mad one, have to have them minded for the night and most of the next day. :( Not too many takers on New Years Eve for that task!

• Advertisement

Here are some cool photos and video's taken from my English mate James.

:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimee99/Fantazia?authkey=nz78AGAfSVY&feat=email#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

jonny68 wrote: »
    ...the Jungle room which was also heaving and the smell of weed was overpowering (actually the smell of weed throughout the whole venue all nite was not that i was complaining) i think Grooverider...
    Love the way Grooverider and weed go together in the same sentence like bees and hunny.

:D

Sounds like a top night though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ill never stay in this sh*thole of a country again again for NYE.
    I'm sorry but if you think the place is a sh*thole why do you stay here? It's like banging your head against a wall and complaining about the headaches. :confused:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if you think the place is a sh*thole why do you stay here? It's like banging your head against a wall and complaining about the headaches. :confused:

Given the chance id get the fcuk out of here but in case your not aware there's a recession on everywhere not just here so cant just get up and leave, anyway i was specifically referring to clubs.

Given the chance id get the fcuk out of here but in case your not aware there's a recession on everywhere not just here so cant just get up and leave, anyway i was specifically referring to clubs.
    Of course you can, Ryanair do loads of cheap flights to all manner of places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Where are you in the photos Johnny?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Of course you can, Ryanair do loads of cheap flights to all manner of places.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    No need for to roll your eyes, they do

Zascar wrote: »
    Where are you in the photos Johnny?

That's me with the bird outside the Q Club mate.:)

n666216531_1067.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Im going away sometime this year to England for one of these big oldskool raves,gonna have goo around the web for the details

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Im going away sometime this year to England for one of these big oldskool raves,gonna have goo around the web for the details

Look no further than Raindance mate, you've not been to a Rave until you've been to a Raindance Rave,
    3 and a half thousand Ravers having it large, 20th aniversary this year so expect a massive massive event this summer :cool:

http://www.raindanceravefestival.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Ah Jonny I know your face from Dalyer.

n666216531_1067.jpg

Ah Jonny I know your face from Dalyer.

alright man i probbaly know your face as well come say hello next time:)

alright man i probbaly know your face as well come say hello next time:)

I will indeed man, small world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Gowan the Bohs,are ya's casuals or just spectators lol

• Advertisement

depends whoe we are playnig. lol

n666216531_1067.jpg

I'm pretty fckin sure I know you too Jonny. Maybe you just have one of those familiar faces but its wrecking my head trying to think how I know your face! Where are you from again?

I'm pretty fckin sure I know you too Jonny. Maybe you just have one of those familiar faces but its wrecking my head trying to think how I know your face! Where are you from again?

Originally from Cabra mate, id say if anywhere it's probably the Temple Of Sound you were a regular there right?I went there from the beginning to the very end although with so many good clubs in those days it was always a big decision as to where to go/what DJ's were on;)

Originally from Cabra mate, id say if anywhere it's probably the Temple Of Sound you were a regular there right?I went there from the beginning to the very end although with so many good clubs in those days it was always a big decision as to where to go/what DJ's were on;)

Yeah was very much a Temple of Sound regular, almost every weekend for about 3 or 4 years. UFO would have been my other local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Lovely production values by the looks of it, but full of auld fogeys... Can't have it all I suppose

Pensioners, the lot of them.

Whats the story with this one Jonny?!

mad1.jpg

mad.jpg

As i said the crowd consisted of people aged from 18 to about 45, and why not, just because someone gets to a certain age doesn't mean they should just stay in and become a pipe and slippers man (or woman)id imagine a lot of the older people there hadn't been out Raving in years but had to go to something like this.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I suppose you never know what the hell asnyone is going to look like form the the internet but you look way younger than I would have though Jonny!

Zascar wrote: »
    I suppose you never know what the hell asnyone is going to look like form the the internet but you look way younger than I would have though Jonny!

cheers man you wouldn't be the first to say that, suppose it's a good thing, i do feel my age though, all those weekends for years spent in clubs/raves/partys,etc,etc do take it's toll :D

• Advertisement

As i said the crowd consisted of people aged from 18 to about 45, and why not, just because someone gets to a certain age doesn't mean they should just stay in and become a pipe and slippers man (or woman)id imagine a lot of the older people there hadn't been out Raving in years but had to go to something like this.:)

Fully agree, as long as you are still able, why the fck not?!

The eyes though on your one are mad looking, might have just been the flash or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fully agree, as long as you are still able, why the fck not?!

The eyes though on your one are mad looking, might have just been the flash or something!

Never mind the eyes, the beard is the scarier part!!!:p

tman wrote: »
    Never mind the eyes, the beard is the scarier part!!!:p

Jaysus, only seeing that aspect now!

Advertisement