Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to New York, my passport

Options
  • 04-01-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi, im going to newyork in 7 days and the people in 2 travel agents said my passport has to be 6 months in date, on the day i return from newyork. But my passport only has 4 months left on it.I have talked to a person in airlingus and they said its okay, that newyork is an exception.Did anyone fly to newyork in the past few months and can anyone help me on this matter. Im working and i will need to know do i need to go to dublin to get new passports.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 chrisdr

They are absolutely correct. You must have at least six months remaining before your passport expires AND two blank pages on your passport that are not full. Although your airline might say your okay to fly out they are not telling you the whole truth. I would go to your local passport office and see what you can do to get an expedited passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

This might be of use to you: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/vwp.xml

"Have a passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country that is valid for six months beyond your intended visit;"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your airline don't decide if you get entry to the country. Would get new passport to be sure and check with US Embassy if you absolutely don't want to get a new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

One other thing - how old is your passport?

You have to have a machine readable passport to enter the states too.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

my passport is only 10 yrs old. Im going to the us embassy tomorrow to get things made clear.I dont want to miss out on the shopping. Thanks all for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

cormy - I wouldn't if I were you. Straight to the passport office at door opening time. (Edit to withdraw my comment and endorse the better info posted below linked to US Embassy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

So if you're going to America, do you need one of the new passports with the black and white pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It needs to be machine readable, e.g. not handwritten and have the standard machine readable code on them. All printed passports here for a decade or so have been OK. My 2005 expiry one was grand even.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

OP, assuming your passport is machine-readable (two lines of printed text and chevrons at the bottom of the photo page) you don't need a new passport. It only needs to be valid for the duration of your visit. Ireland is exempt from the 6 month requirement.

But you do need to apply for a visa waiver at least 3 days before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

steve-o wrote: »
    OP, assuming your passport is machine-readable (two lines of printed text and chevrons at the bottom of the photo page) you don't need a new passport. It only needs to be valid for the duration of your visit. Ireland is exempt from the 6 month requirement.

But you do need to apply for a visa waiver at least 3 days before you travel.

+1.. Too much misinformation above. You dont need 6 months remaining on your passport. As steve-o said above Ireland is exempt from the 6 month rule. This is straight from the US embassy in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Since theres so much confusion about it on a forum, get a new one anyway. All you need is the passport officer in the US to not know that Ireland is exempt (quite possible). You could argue about it till the cows come home, you wouldnt get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Since theres so much confusion about it on a forum, get a new one anyway. All you need is the passport officer in the US to not know that Ireland is exempt (quite possible). You could argue about it till the cows come home, you wouldnt get in.

That seems daft considering the OP is travelling so soon. I would print out the page that says Ireland is exempt and have it in my hand luggage if there was a problem. Which I doubt, given that it is the passport officer's job to know such things (and I thought most of the checking is done at this end before you get on a plane?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoslatara

I am travelling to the US at the end of the week. I am just wondering if anyone has had confirmation that the excemption from the 6 month rule was applied? i.e. anyone travelled with a passport with less than 6 months to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Advertisement