Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys... I need help!

Options
  • 04-01-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey Gus I'm new to Boards.
    Yea what i'm acquiring about is...
    I have an eircom 7MB connection with the simple Netopia router and anytime I go on xbox I get Lag! I mean like it take about 1-5 minutes for a profile to load up and Ingame lag aswell. Even when I have the xbox connected through an ethernet cable I get lag same as when I use Wireless adapter. So any suggestions what I should do?
    I also forgot to mention, I have 3 Laptops, 1 Desktop and a PS3 on this connection also. So would anybody know what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

The NAT setting on your xbox is probably set to strict which is what is causing the lag. I had the same problem myself. Which netopia router is it?

Heres your answer. Just do exactly as it says, Its tedious but you will get there!!

Xbox 360 Live Connection Problems (Opening Nat)
    - Eircom Netopia Router/Modem -

* Needed: PC/Laptop, Netopia Router/Modem (Supplied by Eircom), 2 Ethernet/LAN Cables (if your router is the original Netopia which has only 1 Ethernet & 1 USB connection then you will need to install it on your PC/Laptop via USB, follow the Eircom CD received with your router and only plug in the USB cable when instructed), Make sure your router is running the latest Firmware version v7.4.2r2. (How to check your firmware version will be explained below.)

* What will this do: This will enable Xbox Live to function correctly through NAT on your router. NAT is a built in protection on your router that can cause loss of connection, inability to connect and inability to hear other players on Xbox Live if not setup correctly.

* Make Sure: Make sure you have both your PC & Xbox 360 connected to your Netopia router/modem via LAN/Ethernet cables. (As stated, in the case of people who have the older Netopia modem which has only a USB & a Ethernet port, connect the PC via USB)

A. Configuring your PC.

1. Click on Start – Control Panel – Network Connections.

2. Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties.

3. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

4. Now Select Use the following IP address.
    - For IP Address enter 192.168.1.1 ( This will be the IP address of your PC. If you have more than one PC on your home network then for every PC you have repeat these steeps only changing the last number of the IP address for each e.g. if I have 3 PCs, I would give the first PC the IP address of 192.168.1.1, the second 192.168.1.2 and the third 192.168.1.3. Notice only the last number is allowed to be changed. )
    - Subnet mask will auto-fill when you click it.
    - Default gateway will be the IP address of your Netopia router which is always 192.168.1.254 ( For Eircom Netopia routers ). So for Default gateway enter 192.168.1.254.
    - For Preferred DNS server enter 213.94.190.194.
    - For Alternate DNS server enter 213.94.190.236.
    * DNS server address are given to you by your ISP in this case Eircom.

5. Click OK and OK again until all windows are closed.

B. Configuring your Xbox 360.

1. From Xbox 360 your dashboard select System.

2. From the list select Network Settings.

3. From here select Edit Settings.

4. Under Basic Settings highlight IP Settings and select by pressing A.

5. Click Manual on the next screen.

6. Select IP Address on the following screen.

7. Enter the following IP address 192.168.1.2. ( This will be the IP address for your Xbox 360. As stated before if you have more than just 1 Xbox 360 and 1 PC on you home network you'll have to change the last digit on each machines IP address to whatever you wish once there are no conflicting IP addresses. For this example we will stick with 2 as the last digit for the Xbox 360’s IP address making it 192.168.1.2. )

8. Now select Subnet Mask and enter 255.255.255.0.

9. Next select Gateway and enter 192.168.1.254. ( The IP address of your router/modem )

10. Click Done.

11. Next highlight the Additional Settings tab and select Advanced settings.

12. From the next screen select Host name and enter any one word name for you Xbox 360. ( This name is only used on your home network. )

13. Click Done.

14. Go Back to the main Xbox dashboard.

*NB* Leave your Xbox 360 turned on while you go back to your PC for the next section.

C. Configuring your Netopia router/modem.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. In the address bar type 192.168.1.254 and click go or hit Enter on your keyboard. ( Remember this is the IP address of your router/modem )

3. Things to check…

- You should see this screen. If you do not see anything you will need to troubleshoot you router/modem with your ISP, Eircom. If you see another screen with similar information on it then you most likely have a earlier version of the Netopia firmware and need to update. Look where it says Software Version, it should state 7.4.2r2. If you have an earlier version the you must update. ( For help with updating your firmware go here ).
    - Take a look at where it says Connection Information, below it should state, DSL Available & eircom broadband Connected. If not, again you will need to troubleshoot you modem with an Eircom Tech.
    - On the left hand side of the screen you are now on click Firewall.

- In this window make sure Low is selected. If not, select Low & click Save Changes.

4. Again on the left hand side of the screen click Custom Services.

5. Click on the drop down list and locate Xbox Live Games at the bottom of the list.

6. Select it and click Enable on the right.

7. You are now taken to a new screen. From the drop down list beside Select Host Device, select 192.168.1.2. ( The IP address of your Xbox 360. If your Xbox 360’s IP address is not listed make sure your Xbox is turned on and connected to your router/modem. )

8. Click Enable below the list.

9. Under Services, under Service Name should be Xbox Live Games and under Host Device should be 192.168.1.2. ( The IP address of your Xbox 360 )

D. Testing.

1. Go back to your Xbox 360 dashboard.

2. Again go to the System blade and select Network Settings from the list.
    3. Now select Test Xbox Live Connection from the list.

4. Let the test run. ( May take a minute or so. )

5. You should notice that NAT says Open beside it.

Hope this helps!

Couldnt post the screenshots, Sorry! its fairly straightforward anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 II Skelly x

Ye but my NAT type is OPEN its just something got to do with the router

Well then thats a different kettle of fish altogether and probably goes beyond what I would know about routers/modems. Did you try eircom technical assistance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement