Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAR NCT QUESTION !!!

Options
  • 04-01-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

If a car is in a crash and damaged, after being repaired does it have to go through an nct again ? And what happens when you go to insure it again after its repaired, are there any problems ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no and no.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The NCT is required when the car reaches its 4th birthday and then (assuming it passes) every two years from then.
    The NCT only certifies that the car was in their opinion roadworthy at the time of the test. Whatever happens inbetween tests is irrelevant.
    As for your insurance, a car may be declared as a "beyond economic repair" write off (as happened mine last April). Once the car is restored, you may need to have an assessor evaluate that the car is roadworthy again for the purposes of re-insuring it but this will be at the request of the insurance company. I was never requested for one and couldn't be arsed paying for it myself as I have no plans on selling the car!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Didn't want to start a new thread for another NCT question- can you get your car NCT-ed any time you want? Say I have a 7 year old car which I want to sell; could I get it NCT-ed now to help my chances of selling it. 'Just passed NCT' and all that. (hypothetically speaking since I don't actually have a car..)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

3 months in advance.

EDit: Doesn't really make sense. What i meant to say it you can get it NCT'd 3 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Check the NCTS site but I think you can get the car tested 3 months early at most - your car would be due a test about this time next year if it's 7 years old now, so you would need to wait until Sept to get it done.

Instead you could pay for a pre-NCT service and advertise it as having passed that, but only if you wanted to go to that expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Instead you could pay for a pre-NCT service and advertise it as having passed that, but only if you wanted to go to that expense.

Pre NCT's are pointless IMO, always best to put it through and the fix what fails, if anything. I recently put a 12 year old jalopy with 180k mls for NCT, expecting a list of fails as long as my arm, and was pleasantly amazed when it passed.:D

Edit: Yes, it can be done 3 months in advance, 6 months for the first time. Also, NCT has nothing to do with crashes.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bear in mind that a 7 year old car will need to have its next NCT when it hits 8 years regardless of when the last one was done (unless it was done within 3 months of its 8th birthday)!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pre-NCT checks or services are a waste of time and money imo. You could still fail the NCT. Send the car through the NCT and let them tell you want needs to be done. Obviously things like headlamp adjustment and condition of tyres, etc can be checked easily prior to the test.

Advertisement