Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car battery empty

Options
  • 05-01-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi guys im driving a pajero sport and the battery is knackered it may need a jump once a month or once a week depending on how cold it is. is it possible to fill it with distilled water or is this a waste of time???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect the battery is a sealed unit like most recent ones are. You can't top these ones up.

If its draining that heavily its either buggered or something electrical in the car is draining it - I have found two cars that were being drained by Nokia car kits recently, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MYOB wrote: »
    II have found two cars that were being drained by Nokia car kits recently, for instance.

Out of interest - even when there was no phone in the kit while the engine was switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

no its not sealed. it doesnt be completely dead it just that it takes a few goes to start when its cold and this kills the battery i have opened it and its empty inside.. probably just handier buying a new one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    Out of interest - even when there was no phone in the kit while the engine was switched off?

Yes! Both were fitted by the same crowd, and could have been fitted wrong. The kit stayed 'alive' permanently - car could be off and locked and there'd be a constant LED on the volume control nubbin. Neither car was driven much either; but when the kit was removed the problem went away.
    browner85 wrote: »
    no its not sealed. it doesnt be completely dead it just that it takes a few goes to start when its cold and this kills the battery i have opened it and its empty inside.. probably just handier buying a new one!!

I'd definitely try a new battery first in that case; they're not overly expensive if you get them somewhere decent (e.g. not Halfords).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

When you do drive it - how long is it driven for? Is it possible that your runs are not sufficient to replenish the battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MYOB wrote: »
    If its draining that heavily its either buggered or something electrical in the car is draining it - I have found two cars that were being drained by Nokia car kits recently, for instance.

X2 my mates car had similar issue and moved the nokia kit to switched voltage and no problems since. Happened to my company van back in the day as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

browner85 wrote: »
    Definitely worth topping it up and see how it goes before buying a new one.... Distilled water is the way to go. The water from a condenser tumble dryer is perfect for this.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've come across the old permanently 'on' carkit syndrome a few times too; usually with the switched and permanent feeds twisted together and fed off a permanent live, all tastefully wrapped in a few yards of poor quality insulating tape.
    You can almost always tell by looking at the workmanship of the rest of the fitment; if the phone cradle has been sloppily fitted in the kneecapping position for the passenger (usually with a couple of damaged pozidrive headed self tappers and restricting access to the ashtray or glovebox) and there's a bundle of multicoloured wires wedged into a convenient gap in the dashboard/console, it's rare NOT to find the two live feeds siamesed onto the one permanent supply.

And people get charged money by the 'professionals' who do this sort of work! :rolleyes:

Advertisement