Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure Garden Rule

Options
  • 05-01-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

You know the way in some rescues they won't rehome a dog unless you have a secure garden? Is this rule ever bent? I think it is a good rule to stop the dog wondering off and causing havoc, but for some reason when I was driving back through the countryside from Lahinch, where I was walking my dog on the beach, I thought of that rule and looked around and no houses had secure gardens, I live in the countryside too and I don't have a secure garden, neither do any of my neighbours. Does this mean that thousands of homes around Ireland in rural areas are not eligible to adopt from shelters? Is this rule ever bent for good people with good homes to offer a dog, that would supervise the dog while it's outside? Just interesting to know if it is and what your thoughts are on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I won't bend that rule at all, but I rehome huskies and malamutes, well known for running away and being escape artists. If there is a decent sized run, thats fine as I do understand that if you have a garden of about half an acre to an acre, it can be too expensive to put 6 foot walls or fencing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ISDW wrote: »
    I won't bend that rule at all, but I rehome huskies and malamutes, well known for running away and being escape artists. If there is a decent sized run, thats fine as I do understand that if you have a garden of about half an acre to an acre, it can be too expensive to put 6 foot walls or fencing up.
    +1 A secure area would be fine if I was doing a homecheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It shouldn't be bent at all, even if you live in a rural area, the dog can still wander off/be stolen/get run over/be shot by a farmer etc. If you have a large garden, you can always just fence in a decent size area outside the back door or whatever, posts and chain link cost very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

So if you have a large run or fence off a small amount of your garden (if you had a half acre-an acre), then you would then be considered to adopt a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

What size should a decent sized run be for 1 malamute?

• Advertisement

Well it would depend how long the dog would be left out in it. I'd expect at the very least 12 foot by 12 foot. If the dog is getting plenty of exercise, and that is just somewhere for it to go if the owner has to go out, or even to sleep outside in with a kennel. Mals don't really need big gardens, as long as they get lots of exercise they'd be fine. Its nice to have big gardens for them though, as they can't be let off lead in an unenclosed area.

Thanks, Im getting together all the bits for building my pen as I want to get a dog in early feb, Im planning to get an akita. I have a 3/4 acre lawned garden and im after purchasing the poles for the corners and some steel for the frame. I work 8am to 6pm but my girlfriend or my parents will visit the dog and walk him in the middle of the day every day.
    I was hoping Id only have to keep the dog in the pen over night and during the day the garden fencing and gates would keep him in - I am wondering
    now if the garden fencing will be secure enough for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I have an acre with radio collars on both dogs , a cable running around the perimiter & the dogs stop about 2 meters away from the cable. No large fencing . One is a springer & the other a pointer. No problem with either & we are in the heart of the country

I have a radio fence too but don't use it anymore, power went out one day and we didn't know, dog went out and killed a load of chickens and my parents got rid of the dog.

I know you're not asking about a malamute, but jamesd is, just to say that radio fences are no good for huskies and mals, they will take the pain to get out, it won't stop them. I always have a wry smile when I see one of the companies that makes these, they use a husky on the front!

• Advertisement

@ISDW - I assume an american akita would be the same as a malamute / husky for taking the pain as a simular size / type of dog? so an electric collar would be useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You assume correctly, but why keep it out at night if ye don't mind me asking?

Akita's are big, strong and, in my experience can shift a lot of earth when they dig, s/he might find a way under or through fencing if he takes a mind to look. Bear in mind the jumping/climbing route too, a dog that size could climb a fence if his front paws can reach the top without jumping, hell I had a GS who could scale a seven foot chain link fence.

Another thing to consider is will yer parents/gf be willing/able to walk a dog that size if it turns out to be not the most obedient hound on a lead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Friends of mine next door to a couple who have a boxer, big playful thing, they had him radio collared and he was fine for ages then from some reason one day he decided to make a run for it and got out into my friends garden.

He wasn't hurt or injured and the story ends well, he was brought home and fenced in properly etc but I would be reluctant to trust a radio fence with a big strong dog.

Another friends parents live in wexford and they have a golden retriever living next door who daily runs through the fence and sits outside their back door. The dog now has a huge growth under the collar. :(

They might work the majority of the time, but are really not the best solution.

I would say if your garden is too big to fence in, or if you want to restrict the dogs access to one area a run would be your best bet, so long as the dog isn't permanantly confined to it, they will be perfectly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You have to think of it from the rescues point of view, for example.
    They take in a neglected dog, spend a small fortune of vet care, vaccinations and then not to mention time and care and attention perhaps even having a dog there for months on end undergoing treatment for mange or what have you.
    Then if they were to home a dog to a home with no secure garden all their hard work, sweat and tears would be in vain if that animal was hit by a car or shot by a farmer etc.
    It would defeat the purpose of rescue if they were to neglect the most vital part ensuring an animal will be secure and safe.

FRS.. farm relief services are a handy crowd to contact if you have a large garden or field and need to fence part of it off. People may say aww not fair putting a dog in a run but what some people don't realise is a dog run in the countryside espcially where you get large gardens can be larger than your average townie back garden.

So deffo fencing off an area or having a large dog run like cilldara dog runs works well, can see why people use radio collars and they are certainly better than nothing..lets face it getting a shock or getting hit by a car which is more painful or upsetting for the dog. But they have proven time and time again not to be reliable, fencing obviously needs to be checked regularly so if a dog is a chewer or an escape artist then a more solid dog run is a better option.

I have a radio fence that's rotting into the garden if anyone wants it lol. I used it before but one of the dogs got out and went on a killing spree, luckily they were our own chickens and not newborn lambs but my parents decided to bring the dog to the pound, luckily there loads of people after her after she was brought in so I'm pretty sure she got a home. I was young then and if it was now, no way would I ever bring a dog to the pound. The dog we have now is an old girl who is going deaf and she won't wonder off and only goes out to do her business and for walks, even though she doesn't walk for very long unless it's the beach or woods lol.

Anyway, I will never trust it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I know you're not asking about a malamute, but jamesd is, just to say that radio fences are no good for huskies and mals, they will take the pain to get out, it won't stop them. I always have a wry smile when I see one of the companies that makes these, they use a husky on the front!

Thanks for this information. It is very interesting to know. We have a malamute pup (8 months old) and we had to put fencing up to stop her escaping. I don't like the radio fence idea, but my husband was thinking about it. She is fine out in the garden on her own but as soon as she notices a fence is down she off out with no intention of coming back. Everytime you call her to come she looks at you and then decides if it is worth coming or not. Much to my husband's dismay i call sweeties to get her to come from outside and then give her a handful of treats.

OT: but i found to control her dominant urges, giving her lots of cuddles, and teaching her to sit between my legs. Plus we have an older dog that that is not very tolerant of being nibbled at or sat on.

Advertisement