Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRADMED: UCD versus RCSI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aloui

Thanks so much Eerie - really appreciate your time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timuthytrimble

Hi Eeerie,

We got our temp timetable for RCSI . We seem to have a lot of afternoons off ? Is this for real or will they be filled with tutorials or some sort of group work? The reason I ask is I'm tempted to take off a day per week seen as I've done most of the science bit before. I wouldn't be taking off the anatomy days (Mon+Tuesday) mind you but wednesday and thursday seem fairly handy half days. Am I dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Hi timuthytrimble!

I do seem to remember having the afternoons relatively free in 1st year, except for anatomy (TBH it's all a bit of a haze now!). They try and pack everything into the mornings and try not to do too much in one day as it can be overwhelming, to say the least. Occasionally, there were rescheduled lectures and extra tutorials on in the afternoon.
    I'm not sure you would get away with missing one day a week, to be honest. There is usually at least one compulsory class (i.e. a tutorial, case of the week discussion or grand rounds) where they randomly take attendance. Miss too many and you'll be in the bad books!
    Depending on what you've done before, you might still learn something from the more basic science lectures. I found that there was a more clinical perspective taken when teaching these subjects compared to a pure science degree. You'll also have to read through the lectures one way or the other for your monthly multiple choice quizzes as a lot of the questions are taken as direct quotes from the lecture notes! So you might as well be there and have it read to you by the lecturer! That said I did miss a few of the more basic ones as it can be incredibly boring if you've done it all before!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

mickedm wrote: »
    Hey im mick, a molecular biology graduate now working in Infectious Disease. Im planning to sit GAMSAT in March and my first choice on the CAO will be in Dublin. I attended an open day in RCSI that was excellent and informative. Lack of library facilities and possible cabin fever were the only issues that entered my noggin. Info regarding how the 4 year course in UCD is specifically geared towards graduates seems harder to come by. I was hoping that somebody in either of these courses might be able to shed some light on these issues. I don't want to make a poor choice (probably getting a bit ahead of myself). Thanks anyway in advance

library in surgeons is a disaster. people chatting at desks, ringing phones left on desk when people are away. windows are not near sound proof and you can hear the trafic on the street outside. staff are invisible. there are constant complaints about peoples behaviour in the library but nothing is done. terible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Not the mention being able to hear every busker in the grafton street area. Mercer library does have its charm though, it becomes a home away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

On the bright side, you've always got an alternative. 1st GEP has reservoir house/Beaumont library and 2nd have blanchardstown to themselves.
    I don't find Mercer that bad though. The top floor is generally pretty silent. Mobile phones are a problem in every university library I've been to, so UCD probably won't be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I loved the 3rd floor until everyone started going there, had a lovely spot right beside the window/radiator, now I can never find a spot there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

never understand why ppl don't just wear earplugs... indispensable! can also be used on Luas when you don't want to listen to ya-yas discussing the OMG AMAZING bargains in BT2 on the way into town ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Biologic wrote: »
    On the bright side, you've always got an alternative. 1st GEP has reservoir house/Beaumont library and 2nd have blanchardstown to themselves.
    I don't find Mercer that bad though. The top floor is generally pretty silent. Mobile phones are a problem in every university library I've been to, so UCD probably won't be much different.

Oh no in the main library we have LibroCop and LibroNazi who patrol and fine with military efficiency.

The Health Sciences library is nice but much nosier because of its lay out, and lack of zealot Librarians.

Advertisement