Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless ADSL Router Help.

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I am redoing all my networking in my house and need some help.

What I would like to know is what ADSL modem router to get.

I will be setting up a Multi Function Printer wirelessly that will be beside the router so a 2 in 1 unit would be perfect. However The router would be 10-15m away from the ADSL Socket so should I have a modem beside the socket and then attach that to the router 10-15m away or what would be best?

I also will be setting up a Sony Sling box and have VOIP. Whats the best Modem/Router/Printer Server to buy. Should I buy 3 separate devices or what do you suggest as I need some guidance!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

distance from socket to the adsl router shouldn't really matter, considering the distance from your socket to the exchange. The shorter the better, but you should be ok with the distance mentioned. Just don't use a cheap phone cable and you'll be fine.

Is the printer you're setting up a "wireless printer" or are you setting it up to the wireless router on a print server? If the printer is already wireless, you won't need a print server on the router.

Router wise, you'll just want something that does ADSL2+, has encryption (WPA/WPA2 is good), firewall, etc... Even better if it has traffic shaping, qos, etc..

Depending how you have your layout, you may need repeaters if you need the signal to travel a long distance.

With brand of router, I personally like Linksys, but there are plenty of brands and products out there that will serve your purpose.

With wireless specifications, you can go for the N (draft) standard it will support devices with B and G standard.

Can you give a little more detail on where the devices connecting it will be (distance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dhblewis

Thanks for your reply.

The printer isn't wireless so I would need a server however I saw a Router with a print server built in but it had no modem.

So, I suppose what I would like to know is which is best:

Router/Modem 2in1 and Printer Server

--or--

Modem and Router/Print Sever 2in 1.

And what routers/print server you suggest.
    The House is pretty big. (I've never been good with estimates.

Thanks again,
    Daniel

Advertisement