Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you really like to live forever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

AMIIAM wrote: »
    Rockbeer, Interested in your comments. But looks to me you do not understand purpose/meaning of life. You seem to ascribe to people dying? But do they?Only bodies die. The SPIRIT LIVES. The ETERNAL Flame.

you say that far too matter of factly for my likings

Suki doesn't seem so much interested in answering questions.

i just realised i keep taking these threads off topic :o

im genuinely interested in the questions i ask and the responses i get tho... would a "helix asks christians questions" thread be frowned upon? rather than me hijacking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

AMIIAM wrote: »
    Rockbeer, Interested in your comments. But looks to me you do not understand purpose/meaning of life. You seem to ascribe to people dying? But do they?Only bodies die. The SPIRIT LIVES. The ETERNAL Flame.

Well, firstly I'd question anyone who claims to know the meaning or purpose of life for certain. Or even whether there is one. We're all just speculating.

Personally I tend towards a selfish gene type view, but I don't think life has a directed or 'higher' purpose, and I see no evidence for any kind of spirit that survives us after bodily death. Obviously you do, and that's fine, we'll just have to disagree. As far as I'm concerned, when you die you die, which is as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Not my problem whatever your thoughts. I only expressed an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

I'm fed up and Helix I don't believe you and what is off-topic??????????
    Don't aethiests have a sense of humour and can't you handle Christians without the aid of a moderator Hatter (one of you..I forget who ran to tell)????????????????????????????????

p.s. I know what off-topic is before you explain or fetch the mod guys

ok I'll be serious...I missed a question earlier I believe and by the way I forgive all of you... as Aethiests I don't expect you guys to return the favour

sukikettle wrote: »
    I'm fed up and Helix I don't believe you and what is off-topic??????????

why dont you believe me? ive always been exceptionally interested in religion, and why people believe them, and what people believe. its a very interesting field i think, plus there are some quality stories in them

whats so hard to believe about that. and why do you keep dodging the question? can you not remember it? will i post it again if you missed it first time maybe?

ok I'll be serious...I missed a question earlier I believe

youre only a christian coz youre from a country where christianity is a mainstream religion

if you were born in iran youd be a muslim, and telling people the same things about islam

how does that make you feel?

that was it

if youd answer it id be appreciative, if you dont wanna its cool. im just curious since youre one of the more preachy members of the board, so id like your view on this

Ok Helix I'll answer you...

• Advertisement

I am a born again aka John 3:7 (a man must be born again) whether he is a catholic or protestant or muslim a man will not make it to heaven unless he is born again. We judge God horizontally as in we judge him according to ourselves what we perceive to be fair and just but when you judge yourself vertically i.e against the almighty God you are forced to take a long hard look at yourself. We are all liars, thieves, fornicators etc. We deserve nothing. But He sent His son to save us and we were told explicitly to go and preach the gospel to all nations. Jesus Christ Himself is appearing in dreams and men are being converted by God Himself. You cannot say a man is truly condemned if he never hears the gospel as His love and mercy is infinite and we cannot install our sense of justice into a God who is our creator and redeemer. God does exactly what He wants and His rules are just that, His. But woe to the man who hears and rejects. That there is the rub my friend and I am not preachy. I believe what I am saying. You would also know from reading the bible;) muslims and the jewish share Abraham and both were blessed except the Lord who is generational declared Himself to be the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob the descendants of Sarah his wife the free woman and not Hagar the slave woman...see Romans wherein lies the other rub among the faiths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Er...are you aware that that doesn't answer, or even address, the question?

There is a truth and a truer truth...I live in a nation of pagans. This is not a mainstream Christian country. It is a mainstream religious country and religiousness is as bad as nothingness. There are as many Christians here as there are in a muslim nation and we all carry the responsibility to carry the gospel. And muslim or catholic each is condemned by God who rejects His holy Word. I cannot be clearer

There is a truth and a truer truth...I live in a nation of pagans. This is not a mainstream Christian country. It is a mainstream religious country and religiousness is as bad as nothingness. There are as many Christians here as there are in a muslim nation and we all carry the responsibility to carry the gospel. And muslim or catholic each is condemned by God who rejects His holy Word. I cannot be clearer

Yes, that's all marvellous, but what Helix asked was:
    if you were born in iran youd be a muslim, and telling people the same things about islam

how does that make you feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

It was our country first >_>

:p

Hatter the Qu'ran is based like the torah on the bible...same history...same story except the muslims have Mohammed and have you ever googled who he exactly is and then compare him to the only person born of man to claim to be the son of God made flesh and heal everyone He came in contact with. Mohammed didn't fulfil any prophecies or make such claims or perform such signs. I'm confident I'd be a convert to Christianity anyway. Don't forget in Romans it talks about predestination. I was chosen along with countless others at creation. Your supposition what if I were born into Islam is more or less null and void. It was never going to happen and it was never going to be my dilemma

So Hatter how does that make you feel...perhaps God doesn't want you perhaps you're of the number He talks about giving them over to their vile ways and hardening their hearts. Do you think your soul can bear a permanent separation. Are you prepared for that sort of terrible rejection. You can be all cavalier now in life but you have no control beyond death and certainly those left behind cannot pray it better for you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

suki, let me guess... mother by day, internet warrior by night. :pac:

Your energies (and typing skills) would really be better spent in some Christian chat room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Its surely preferable than being dead forever

• Advertisement

So Hatter how does that make you feel...perhaps God doesn't want you perhaps you're of the number He talks about giving them over to their vile ways and hardening their hearts. Do you think your soul can bear a permanent separation. Are you prepared for that sort of terrible rejection. You can be all cavalier now in life but you have no control beyond death and certainly those left behind cannot pray it better for you

Ugh.

Look, generally speaking I'm not really interested in arguing over which religion is right. I've made my choices and am quite happy with my life as it is at the moment. I'm not here to try to convert anyone, and I'd very much appreciate if you were to extend to me the same courtesy. If not, don't worry - I forgive you. (And I'm not saying that to be glib, but to be honest, your attempts don't bother me that much, and are easily forgiven.) Also, I never made the supposition that if you were born into Islam that you'd be a Muslim (though to be honest, it's a reasonable assumption to make) - that was Helix.

As to what your above post means to me - virtually nothing. I see very little historical validity in any holy books, so their interrelationships don't concern me.

Dades the topic is would you really like to live forever...I wasn't aware I was in the wrong chatroom and you don't have to be disrespectful with such a chauvinistic statement.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Its surely preferable than being dead forever

I completely disagree. To paraphrase Mark Twain (because I can't be bothered looking for the quote), I was dead for thousands of years before I was born, and it never bothered me one bit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Get the tissues!

I'd like to die in my sleep with my OH, that way I don't have to live without her.

Hatter I don't care if you convert but I did tell you and that is something you can never accuse me or anyone at the Judgement seat

you won't know you're dead either...the bible says we sleep and awake at the judgement. There is no concept or existence of time before or after death...you know God requires a major shift in thinking outside the box and that's why He is so difficult to grasp and accept. I challenge you to flip through the pages of a pocket-sized bible no one will discern you are reading and watch what happens in your heart and head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sHnaCk

uhh ....what I miss?

well... one day i ended up at a meeting with christians and one of the lads mentioned a verse which ...funny enough... i didnt undertand all that much. it was gibberish to me. it was 1 corinthians 1:18 and i just had to figure it out!! it just stuck with me until i undertood it completely. now i do. another one that really freaked me out was what Jesus said in luke 9:60. gives you the heeby jeebies til you get it right in your head. i suppose 20:20 hindsite allows you to realise that the gospel can only be understood in relationship... hence 1 corinthians 1:18... what you guys thinkeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

'Can I get out after I've finished Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake please?'

Not fair, the above quote and forever are one and the same...:D

Thing is, we're ALL gonna live forever whether we like it or not.
    The more important question in my mind is WHERE would you like to live forever?

sheesh splendour... struth. ill tell ye something else, we have many verses that we can pray into peoples lives and they miraculously come to Christ. We dont even have to speak to them!! these verses have NEVER failed. it is Gods will that all are saved its just that many of them have to be enabled and these verses do the what they say on the tin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Rockbeer I bet you're a pain in the proverbials in real life. What horse dung are you spouting on about. Do you talk like that in real life

Sukikettle, no more of this. OK?

• Advertisement

Dear Fanny you are many posts a bit late...I was slapped on my wrist by another mod and you make it a ganging up club at this stage and perhaps you'll take note there are fouler things a foot here and much more dire language than mine in here. I used correct english after all and for that a girl is to be held up as a model of decorum and poise in a world gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Splendour wrote: »
    Thing is, we're ALL gonna live forever whether we like it or not...

Evidence please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dear Fanny you are many posts a bit late...I was slapped on my wrist by another mod and you make it a ganging up club at this stage and perhaps you'll take note there are fouler things a foot here and much more dire language than mine in here. I used correct english after all and for that a girl is to be held up as a model of decorum and poise in a world gone mad.

It's not a case of of mods ganging up on you, I simply wasn't aware that you had been warned already. This said, warnings are issued on the basis of the offending post, not in relation to the posts of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

MrPudding wrote: »
    But why did god create evil in the first place?

MrP

God did not create evil. :eek:

(I think I get as annoyed by this statemnt as robin does about 'survival of the fittest")

Helix wrote: »
    you dont need to follow christ for the latter part of that sentence tho?

I think that you do, from the view that without Christ you can't truly recognize sin for what it is.

then why does the vatican issue pardons occasionally?

THEY think they can pardon, but in fact they can not. We onl;y have teh ability to pardon someone who sins against us. So if someone does me wrong I can forgive them, PDN can't nor can the Vatican.

Since we sin against God, only God can pardon that sin. Not the Vatican, not the Christian and Missionary Alliance, not PDN; only God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

ElCrapula wrote: »
    Id certainly like to be around for a while longer than is granted now,but Id never take the eternal option.
    As for heaven and hell,gimme hell.All the mad bastards would be there,much better craic.
    God doesnt seem like the nicest fella around,bit of a dictator.Id reckon the Devil would let you do what you wanted,not as many rules.

ye and slipknot and cky will be playing every day,thats defonatly worth a bit of torture and besides all the coolest people will be der,like curt cobain and ghandi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

sexmag wrote: »
    ye and slipknot and cky will be playing every day,thats defonatly worth a bit of torture and besides all the coolest people will be der,like curt cobain and ghandi

Yes, I'm sure Gandhi will be delighted to listen to Slipknot every day.

Originally Posted by ElCrapula
    Id certainly like to be around for a while longer than is granted now,but Id never take the eternal option.
    As for heaven and hell,gimme hell.All the mad bastards would be there,much better craic.
    God doesnt seem like the nicest fella around,bit of a dictator.Id reckon the Devil would let you do what you wanted,not as many rules.
    sexmag wrote: »

Satan allowing everyone to do what they wanted, lets think about that: the thug from the USA deciding that it would be a good idea to go and just shoot everyone they see that day. And he sees you.

The torturer who decides that they want to hang draw and quarter someone that day and they pick you.

The bully who is happy just pounding the daylights out of someone and you are the one they target. You will be spending eternity getting beaten and tortured. Sounds like good craic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

THEY think they can pardon, but in fact they can not. We onl;y have teh ability to pardon someone who sins against us. So if someone does me wrong I can forgive them, PDN can't nor can the Vatican.

Since we sin against God, only God can pardon that sin. Not the Vatican, not the Christian and Missionary Alliance, not PDN; only God.

So the Pope isn't actually God's spokesperson on earth. Learn something new every day.

I think that you do, from the view that without Christ you can't truly recognize sin for what it is.

not sin with religious connotations no, but you can know whats right and wrong. and once you do whats right sure thats the main thing

i keep saying it, but sure isnt it a sin to work on sunday?

• Advertisement

musician wrote: »
    So the Pope isn't actually God's spokesperson on earth. Learn something new every day.

We aim to please.

Originally Posted by ElCrapula

Satan allowing everyone to do what they wanted, lets think about that: the thug from the USA deciding that it would be a good idea to go and just shoot everyone they see that day. And he sees you.

The torturer who decides that they want to hang draw and quarter someone that day and they pick you.

The bully who is happy just pounding the daylights out of someone and you are the one they target. You will be spending eternity getting beaten and tortured. Sounds like good craic.

so the bad guys get to enjoy themselves in hell... kinda like heaven for them then?

*edit*

not sure what happened there

i keep saying it, but sure isnt it a sin to work on sunday?

Not according to the Bible. It never mentions working on a Sunday. Just as well because it's my busiest workday of the week!

musician wrote: »

It depends what category of Christian you are.

God did not create evil. :eek:

if he created the universe and everything in it, then he defined the rules that allowed for evil. if he was the ultimate creator, he had the choice whether to allow the possibility of it being part of the everything which he created

sorry, saturday, jewish sabbath

the ot says its a sin punishable by death, does it not?

Numbers 15:32-36

32While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." 36So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It depends what category of Christian you are.

Perhaps more like God's representative but if he pardons people surely hes gone beyond the job description. I was sure we were taught in school by those lovely Christian Brothers that god spoke through the Pope. Anything to confuse us for the daily beatings I suppose :pac:

sorry, saturday, jewish sabbath

the ot says its a sin punishable by death, does it not?

Numbers 15:32-36

32While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." 36So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

If you're a Jew and you have a time machine and you're planning to take a trip back to the Middle East to a few thousand years ago then, yes, I would think you have every reason to be concerned about the whole Sabbath deal and getting put to death.

• Advertisement

old testament doesnt counth then?

i mean, god ordered this bloke put to death for working on the sabbath, did he change his mind about that one? wouldnt that mean he makes mistakes then, and isnt perfect?

Advertisement