Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car exhaust stinks

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

ive a diesal hyundai terracan and when the car is left idle for a while, the fumes coming out of the back are so intoxicating i have to turn it off.

I get some of that diesal cleaner that you put into the tank when your filling her up. That used to work but not so much nowadays.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does it happen all the time ? (Diesel exhausts always smells much stronger when the engine is cold)

Is the smell coming into the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quebec

yeah pretty much all the time.

i do a lot of work with boats and its the worst when your hitching up a trailer.

My dad has a diesal car too. Granted its a merc so its probably better but theres never been any whiff of a smell off his

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does it smell like rotten eggs ?

It could be a few things, it could even be crap diesel:

1. You say it's worse while towing a trailer, if it's not a factory fit towbar it could just be exhaust fumes hitting back off the trailer and coming in the car either through where the tow-bar electrics are routed or car mount bolt holes on towbar.

2. Could be the exhaust manifold gasket or a leak somewhere in the exhaust sytem.

3. The solder on the heater coil at the heater core, the solder gets hot and gives off the smell.

I would go to your Hyundai garage and get it checked out.

Advertisement