Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To wait or not to wait...hmmm....opinions please :)

Options
  • 05-01-2009 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

Bit of a dilemma here...Im getting a car from the UK myself in the next month or so. Now I have the option of buying it for my friend (from northern ireland), putting it in his name, and then he 'sells me' my own car back to me after 6 months, after not having to pay VRT (my mate has an address in NI and in Cork).
    If I chose this option, I won't be able to drive my own car for 6 months, not even as a named driver (cos im not a UK resident)..AARRGHHH

I had a look on the rate of VRT for the particular car, and its coming in at 2300 or so, but the car has a load of extras, so im presuming itll be up near the 3k mark.....It's a 3 series BMW ive decided on fyi...

So peeps, my question is, do i not drive my car for 6 months, or just bite the bullet and pay the vrt!??

To put it in perspective, 3k for me is a little over a month's salary...

so whatdoyereakon!??? I really cant decide....driving me nuts!

Thanks for reading

qwerty.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Bite the bullet ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 99qwerty99

the only way i am involved in him having the car is that im fronting the cash for it...
    so if u think of it like this...this british guy who i happen to know buys a car, and after, say 7 months, we moves to the republic of ireland, and get the plates changed...
    Then he decides to sell it to me.

The irish plates will be on it before he signs it over to me... so how would i have to pay the vrt then???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

99qwerty99 wrote: »
    the only way i am involved in him having the car is that im fronting the cash for it...
    so if u think of it like this...this british guy who i happen to know buys a car, and after, say 7 months, we moves to the republic of ireland, and get the plates changed...
    Then he decides to sell it to me.

The irish plates will be on it before he signs it over to me... so how would i have to pay the vrt then???

Because if you come in VRT free you have to pay it if the car changes ownership withing 365 days....regardless of how long he's owned it.

wel that i didn't know.... looks like uve answered my query so....its bite the bullet time so!!! Theres no way i could wait 365 days to drive my own new car!

anyone aware of vrt offices that dont require an inspection...as in just paper work? Id hate to think that my nice leather interior and all the toys cost me an extra granny on top of what im already paying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

anyone aware of vrt offices that dont require an inspection...as in just paper work? Id hate to think that my nice leather interior and all the toys cost me an extra granny on top of what im already paying!!

They dont necessarily have to inspect the car .........

They could however, check the VIN to see what options are fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

wel that i didn't know.... looks like uve answered my query so....its bite the bullet time so!!! Theres no way i could wait 365 days to drive my own new car!

They're all supposed to examine every car but in reality if the car is over 2 or 3 years old they wont bother. reason for this is that according to the guide prices that dealers uses, options at 3 years old are only worth 25% of their value and after 4 years they're not worth anything more.

That's good to know...more info i wasn't aware of..cheers :)

So from experience is this the case nationwide or are specific offices, that because of location of office/parking etc. they don't come to inspect the vehicle..... jeez I sound like I have 2 turbo jets taken from a plane strapped onto the boot of the car...i dont! Just a good few extras...parkling sensors/cruise control leather seats/cd multi changer...the usual nice stuff :)

thanks again for the useful info up to now peeps! Yiz r all legends!

qwerty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like a good 18 months investment opportunity there imho. :)

get someone who's moing to ireland from the UK in 6 months time and buy them a nice new car wich you then keep garaged until they move over.

then keep it garaged for 12 months in ireland and sell it on vrt free.

i suppose you'd have to make sure the final sale value wouldn't be less than you would have paid with depreciation etc, but it would have very low mileage so would be quite a desireable motor compared to other 18 month old cars.

i wonder if it would be workable and how much you'd get back versus how much you'd have to spend?

hmm, evil plan hatching. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi,

Bit of a dilemma here...Im getting a car from the UK myself in the next month or so. Now I have the option of buying it for my friend (from northern ireland), putting it in his name, and then he 'sells me' my own car back to me after 6 months, after not having to pay VRT (my mate has an address in NI and in Cork).
    If I chose this option, I won't be able to drive my own car for 6 months, not even as a named driver (cos im not a UK resident)..AARRGHHH

I had a look on the rate of VRT for the particular car, and its coming in at 2300 or so, but the car has a load of extras, so im presuming itll be up near the 3k mark.....It's a 3 series BMW ive decided on fyi...

So peeps, my question is, do i not drive my car for 6 months, or just bite the bullet and pay the vrt!??

To put it in perspective, 3k for me is a little over a month's salary...

so whatdoyereakon!??? I really cant decide....driving me nuts!

Thanks for reading

qwerty.

Read the fine print:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland
    NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

He would also need to prove he was working and living in the north with Bank records, bills and pay slips and also prove that he is moving to the south.

• Advertisement

I think ill just pay the VRT this time......now if the vrt was something like 10k, i MIGHT think about making an investment....but for an amount less than 3k? I really couldnt be ar$ed!!
    Each to their own though....each to their own :)

god there really is amazing value on cars in the UK...It's just unbelieveable!

Thanks again

qwerty

Advertisement