Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the sickest you've ever been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Don't know what it was, but a few years ago I got sick and couldnt eat without throwing up for a week. Raging headache if I moved in the slightest. Lay on a sofa all week in pretty much total silence, only having maybe 2 dry plain biscuits and a glass of water each day. Had that little energy that if I got up to go to the toilet, I'd need to sleep when I got back to the sofa. Was sh!tting pure black at the time too.

Looking back, I should probably have been taken to the doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I had bacterial meningitis when i was 7. Was pretty close to death and hostipalized for weeks. I don't remember much of it but my ma says the doctors were pretty certain i wouldn't make it at the earlier stages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had pneumonia for a month when I was younger but never went to the doc as I thought it was just a heavy flu or something. Pretty much fell over one day got brought to hospital and was told what an idiot I was for not going to the doc. So had a stay for a few days in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

TPD wrote: »
    Don't know what it was, but a few years ago I got sick and couldnt eat without throwing up for a week. Raging headache if I moved in the slightest. Lay on a sofa all week in pretty much total silence, only having maybe 2 dry plain biscuits and a glass of water each day. Had that little energy that if I got up to go to the toilet, I'd need to sleep when I got back to the sofa. Was sh!tting pure black at the time too.

Looking back, I should probably have been taken to the doctor.

That sounds like Viral Meningitis to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Overflow wrote: »
    That sounds like Viral Meningitis to me.

What makes you say that?

I guess I should really have been taken to the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Food Poisoning about a year ago. I stayed in bed and didn't eat for a week ended up losing 2 stone (Not good for a No.8 :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The sickest Ive ever been was 5 balls into the lotto and I had them all so far. The last rolled and it wasnt a f.ucking 25. Not really a lotto player, but was told to do it being my bday its sposed to be lucky. What a crock of sh.it.

Other than that horrific gastroren.. gasturent.. Vomiting.

My bedroom wasnt unlike a scene from the Excorsist for 2 days straight. Had an repeat performance over the lotto incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Had to be when I had pneumonia and pleurisy at the same time. Not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Overflow wrote: »
    Meningitis and a spontaneous pheumothorax(collapsed lung) both horrifically painful.

Holy sh1t you got a spontaneous one? Can't imagine that! I suffered 2 traumatic pnuemothorax's. Both from falling heavily on my rib cage while playing soccer. Not a lot of fun! First time I was in hospital for 10 days getting it back to 100%, second time (18 months after the first) I was in for 5 days. Then when I did it the second time around, alarm bells went. So I had to get an operation in October to get it sorted (had to get 2 little air blisters removed that were on my lung). Was in Blackrock for a week. Most painful thing i've ever gone through. I'd like to think thats the end of my lungs probs anyway!

Suffered Glandular fever a few years ago as well. Not very nice at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Food poisioning for being the worst thing I had to endure.

But I also had thyroid infections in my neck, left hand side swelled up big enough to require 3 separate surgeries. It didn't cause much discomfort but the doctors said it would be best to get rid of it. Took them 3 times to get it right:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Came down with a nasty case of dead there during the summer. Can't get much worse than that. Some anti-biotics and I was grand after a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Jazzy wrote: »
    i almost died once. was in a coma for 4 days after contracting meningitis. pretty much sucked balls

Fcuk thats Scary stuff. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jazzy wrote: »
    i almost died once. was in a coma for 4 days after contracting meningitis. pretty much sucked balls

Ok you win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Food poisoning after a feed of mussels was without doubt the worst sickness I ever went through. Wrethcing stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting for about six hours solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd go with Chicken Pox.

I've never really caught anything really bad thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

Aidric wrote: »
    Food poisoning after a feed of mussels was without doubt the worst sickness I ever went through. Wrethcing stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting for about six hours solid.

haha reminds me of a few oysters the GF persuaded me to eat one nite ... ughhh the diarrhea :( 6 rolls of toilet paper later

Had Scarlet Fever 12 years ago>>Nasty

Doctor said its like a real bad flu. Just spent 2 weeks in bed with a high fever, couldnt eat a thing,extreme diarrheoa despite only drinking water and red spots all over me ! Was great fun.

Lost a stone and a half, great sickness for dieting !

The following year got the proper flu as my immune system was weakened from the previous year so another week in bed !

Nothing since except a few man flus >>> They can kill you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

KTRIC wrote: »
    Came down with a nasty case of dead there during the summer. Can't get much worse than that. Some anti-biotics and I was grand after a week.

Unlucky, son! Unlucky.
    Davidius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I died once.

Nothing serious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I've been pretty lucky with regards to severity of illness.. Worst was probably tonsilitis that landed me in hospital after being unable to eat or drink for a week. During that week, I met and talked to loads of people and had no recollection of it afterwards. Second was probably a kidney infection - had an extremely high temperature, ended up delirious, thinking a little old man was leaning over me when I was in bed. Not pleasant at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

the last two times i went to the doctor i was told i had menengitis and ambulanced off to hospital. doctors at hospital told me to go home coz they didnt know what was wrong with me. excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sangre wrote: »
    The sickest I've ever been is probably last week when I was fúcking my little sister.

It's not that sick man, she's got pretty big knockers for an 11-year-old.

I'd hit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Nothing life-threatening thank God! Have never been hospitalised either. Had a bout of gastroenteritis a couple of years back, that was pretty nasty. Vomiting, diarrhaea and zero energy. Tonsilitis... also unpleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Infection in the gallbladder and bile duct caused by it being totally blocked by gallstones. I was pregnant at the time and couldn't have any painkillers, which was just torture, because the pain is much,much worse than childbirth. Had to go on a course of antibiotics and just wait. Was in agony for a full week as well as all the usual aches and pains of pregnancy.

Thankfully I got the gallbladder whipped out Christmas 2007 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Dunno what the hell it was but basically everytime id cough id stop breathing and lost my voice till i drank some water and be gasping for air..then it would go. I remember one day i said hell with it went out played some footie.From all the running my throat dried up or whatever so couldnt speak..One of the lads came out asking where everyone went and where was i gonig ( i was going in). Me there like a fool pointing to me throat and to my house and him not knowing wdf was gonig on:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Empyema a couple of years back. It's like pneumonia with knobs on!

I'm now minus a chunk of one of my lungs, but I'm lucky to have got through it alive, so who cares, I still have the 1 3/4 lungs left to work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

real flu, shingles and now I have pleurisy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Pneumonia :( - Wasn't fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Gastroenteritis. It's one the most horrible things you will ever encounter. I got it when I was sixteen and was living up the side of a mountain with some hippies. I spend about two weeks in bed, unable to eat anything and any liquids I managed to drink came right back up again. My stomach and intestines felt like someone was jabbing me from the inside with a red hot poker. It's not very fun at all.

how do folk actually go back far enough to find a two year old thread?
    If it's not on the first half of the first page that's me out.

But for the record. Swine Flu. Yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I had an abra just now so i feel pretty sh*t at the moment.

I should've drank more before eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

3 day bug is the worst I've had thankfully. I've seen people battle illness though so I've seen my fair share of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Appendicitis - have the scar to prove it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

After moving out of home I poisoned myself by eating 3 rotten eggs. obviously I didn't know they were rotten till it was too late. Started puking, hit the bed.after about an hour I couldn't get out of bed anymore so I placed a large jumper on the floor beside the bed and puked on it for the night.problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Got Scarlet Fever when i was a kid. I remember lying in my parents bed thinking the things on my mam's dressing table were coming towards me-the fever was making me delusional!
    In adulthood, probably when i got Vertigo and Sinutitus together. Doctor took one look at me and shipped me off to A & E. She actually said to me afterwards she thought i was dying when i went into her! :eek: I had too much fluid in my head, along with other serious stuff. Literally couldn't support my own head or focus on anything. Took me a good 6 months to fully recover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This one time at band camp ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

This one time at band camp ...
    you stuck a flute up your pussy...?

how did that make you sick? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My OH just had a lot of her Bowels Removed.

I currently have a cold sore and a heavy cold and Im sneaking some medicine on the QT because it would be a little overzealous of me to complain after what she is going through. :(

Sickest I have been is having Polio as a child. Survival rate is pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Got Scarleh Fever when i was a kid.
    FYP.

Shut up, that's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I had sepsis which was a ton of fun. Luckily they caught it early and I only had to have an IV to cool the fever (41) and massive doses of antibiotics in hospital.

Used to have really bad asthma when i was a kid and would end up in the ICU for a week or two at a time every year. I hate hospitals. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I had meningitis and pneumonia at the same time. I was in boarding school in Waterford at the time and my parents were up in Dublin. They got a call from the doctor telling them I had about 2 hours to live.

I have very little memory of it, but I remember being in the ICU and getting a lumbar puncture without any anaesthetic, very painful. My temperature was also spiking so I had to be put into ice baths every few hours.

So my dad is a doctor and my mum kept on telling him to stay out of it as the doctors there were treating me. They eventually ran out of ideas asked my dad what they should do. He suggested a chest x-ray which showed a cannonball pneumonia which was masked because of the meningitis. They began treatment for that and gave me large doses of intravenous antibiotics.

Needless to say, I'm alive now and very grateful to my father for saving my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I said the flu? **** that - it was an ear abscess which had me in agony for several weeks, and the cocktail of antibiotics and painkillers I was on wrecked my stomach and my immune system, so when that year's stomach bug got me... Jesus. :eek: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Dudess wrote: »
    I said the flu? **** that - it was an ear abscess which had me in agony for several weeks, and the cocktail of antibiotics and painkillers I was on wrecked my stomach and my immune system, so when that year's stomach bug got me... Jesus. :eek: :(

Ear abscess! Would not wish that on anyone. Every heart beat was agony, I was genuinely banging my head off the wall until I got the drugs. Really can't overstate how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The drugs I was given are also used to treat STDs.

/awaits ear-****ing/"He was doing it wrong" quip :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The second time I got pneumonia. I remember sitting in the hospital at 3am feeling the worst in my life. I actually wanted to die...no seriously I didn't wish to continue living with what I was feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Caught yellow fever in Paraguay. I thought it was just a really horrible dose of the flu or something but then my skin began to appear yellow and i was coughing up blood and bleeding from the gums and shít. The hostel owner recognized it and brought me to the hospital. Lucky as i was in the phase where death usually occurs. Never been as sick in my life from it but i'm immune to it now. So never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Only been really sick 3 times. Nothing that required hospital time thankfully.

Two occured while I was in New Zealand.

Involved my kidneys and general insides.
    Never felt anything like it in my life and never want to again. Felt like my back was literally broke....and I mean BROKE. Jaysus I was screaming and crying for the majority of the night and next day. It eventually eased enough for me to be able to visit the doctor and he gave me load of pills.

Second thing was..I gave myself food poisoning! :pac:
    Seriously paranoid about cooking now....esp chicken. Oh fook that was not a pretty few days.

The third thing that ever happened was I think I got the proper flu. Lasted like a week or so missed fcuking Christmas because of it :mad:
    Bloody agony every bit of me hurt. Couldn't sleep or eat for days. Even breathing hurt for fcuk sake!

Count myself lucky though, you lot have had some seriously bad experiences :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've been lucky enough to never have been seriously sick. The worst I've felt was when I had vertigo in July which wasn't a pleasant experience. The nausea was awful. It felt like I was really drunk for a week, like the guy you see in a club with his head buried in his hands who is going to chuck up all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I once had to have emergency surgery on christmas day. Doctors were shocked when they found out their was something actually wrong as they thought it was all in my head and wouldn't listen to me - said that I must have an extremely high pain threshold as I should not have been able to move at all given the problem.

On the plus side...I couldnt eat anything for about 5-7 days so I was like the only person that lost weight over christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Dudess wrote: »
    The drugs I was given are also used to treat STDs.

/awaits ear-****ing/"He was doing it wrong" quip :pac:
    Dudess takes it in the ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Made the moves on my grandmother once.

SHE WAS LOOKIN' HOT, OK?

Sittin' around in her nightie...

• Advertisement
Advertisement