Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the sickest you've ever been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

When Cork bate Clare in the 2006 AI semi final by a point. shtill sick about it.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

At the age of 25 I had a stroke (last september)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

When I was about 7 I had something for about two weeks, couldn't sleep, could hardly eat, puking non stop!
    It only started to get better when the doctor threatened me with a drip, good ol positive thinking.:pac:

Then I had the flu the year before last, I usually get a mild cold or flu every year but that year it was serious.
    Puking and puking, eventually my fever went through the roof and I started having hallucinations, had to call out now doc for that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Mononucleosis along with pneumonia... hospitalized for 5 weeks :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seaneh wrote: »
    At the age of 25 I had a stroke (last september)...
    Bloody hell! :eek: at 25? Hope you're OK now.

I nearly pegged it at 18. Viral infection affecting the heart. Had the whole out of body experience stuff too. That was well freaky.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I died a few times after oesophageal cancer surgery, does that count? Have a few illnesses but also live my life to the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sicker than a plane to Lourdes...
    It was one of those "I'm never drinking again" days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I had scarlet fever. who the **** gets scarlet fever any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I had scarlet fever. who the **** gets scarlet fever any more?

I had it when I was a kid which is around 19 years ago and boy it sure did suck. It's crapness was compounded by the fact that I was then allergic to penicillin which they tried treating me with.

Other than a bad flu I don't think I have ever been sick enough to require a day off since. The flu is awful aswell though and it irks me when people call the sniffles the flu. With the flu you are in bed, sweating like a pig, it is sore to move, head is spinning, holding back the vomit and the piece de resistance might be some terrifying hallucinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was 7 and I was in hospital because my kidneys were failing. Scary times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When i was 15/16, had pneumonia for a month but just thought it was a cold. Eventually went to the GP told him my symptoms and off to casualty i go, explain to the A & E doc there about how i felt if i moved my head it took a few seconds for my vision and balance to catch up with what my eyes were seeing. Q a few days in hospital and a severe chewing out by the doc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I don't know if ye count Industrial accidents as sickness but when I started working at sean I had a ships hatch cover crush my steel toecap boot - and the foot within.

After the various and doctors and surgeons got finished with me I now am one of the few people that can count to 19 & 1/2 when I take my socks off :cool:

I've a friend who lost the tip of a finger to a wood saw so he'sthe same, strange to have two friends in a small group of people who have minor amputations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've never been really sick, just the annual cold around this time of the year.

Although this year, I got a bit of variation by being in a fatal bus crash instead of the cold. Black eyes and a very big and sensitive bump on my head at the moment.

I'll take a full on flu next year please!

EDIT: Oh I did have the dirtiest ear infection when I was a kid. I remember holding on to the big bottle of tasty red medicine hoping it would kill the pain. I lost 30% of the hearing in my right ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

had pneumonia as a kid

i also seen my granny lose the top of her finger in a really heavy pub door hinge when somone closed it, I had to pick up the finger and put it on ice etc... no point though because they couldnt reattach it.

there was some amount of blood though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Never really get sick apart from a cold now and then.

I did drink a glass of bleach when I was 2, don't remember it but apparently I was in hospital for a week while they cleaned my stomach out. The burst ovarian cysts a few years ago, that was fun, leaning against the coke machine for 14 hours in the a & e waiting room in complete agony suurounded by pissheads.

Then there was the surgery I had on my jaw. They broke it, put a bone graft from my hip in, teeth were clamped shut for three months and it took six months for the swelling to go down. Yummy complan liquid diet. I talk quite a lot so it was annoying that I couldn't natter for over 90 days. I had a notebook that I used to communicate with, it's still very funny to read over.

Probably the sickest thing about it was that I was stuck in a ward beside this hospital-bed hogger for two weeks. She used to make me feel how sweaty her back was everyday or else she wouldn't leave me alone. She made every other patients' visitors feel her back too and she'd tell them that I was either beaten up by my boyfriend or was involved in a car accident, depending on her mood. I couldn't tell her to shut the f*ck up but I wrote to her one day and asked her to stop fabricating stories about me. She told me she couldn't read and asked me to feel how sweaty her back was, again. By the 10th day, I was beginning to understand what motivates murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

mars bar wrote: »

EDIT: Oh I did have the dirtiest ear infection when I was a kid. I remember holding on to the big bottle of tasty red medicine hoping it would kill the pain. I lost 30% of the hearing in my right ear.
    That explains your sig then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

SugarHigh wrote: »
    That explains your sig then.

Hey, that was uncalled for! :mad:

Well played though, well played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Got food poisoning from a Chinese two years ago. It was Christmas Eve, I got off work late so decided to grab something to eat on my way home. Ate, went to bed and woke up a few hours later... so sick. I won't go into detail, but it was awful. By Christmas night, I was so weak that when I went to the bathroom to vomit, I couldn't get back up and passed out on the floor. Lost so much weight as well 'cause I couldn't eat for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

I had daily chronic migrane for 4/5 months. The most uncomfortable time of my life. Like someone bashing my head in with a needle and hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

asthma attacks when i was seven and nine. the second attack wasn't so bad but i remember thinking i was going to die when they kept me overnight. i think i stayed in hospital for a week both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Nothing major like some. My worst however was just after my 20th birthday, I got glandular fever that caused me to break out in hives and rashes all over my body :( a tooth ache and a vomiting bug all at once. I was bed ridden for a week. I felt so weak, I could barely sip water. I was either too hot, too cold, too everything :( It was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 luciusesox

Typhoid contracted in India 20 years ago. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (well perhaps one or two of them). Didn't get it diagnosed in time so it fully developed.

Lost two stone, could only sleep by holding my spleen, and you don't want to know about the toilet episodes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 luciusesox

Oh, I forgot, some pretty weird hallucinations as well, kind of waking dreams involving Arab horsemen chasing me down (I was heading to Egypt after India).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

A few years ago I got food posioning, I was basically up all night throwing up for hours, it was horrible. I had no energy, and the dry wretching was absolute agony. I still have nightmares :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Playing poker,I flopped a full house,end up all in with a lad with aces and he rivers another ace to get a bigger full house.I was really sick after that :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Got dragged into A&E in a certain Dublin hospital a few years ago after some mad allergic reaction made my head and neck swell up like the elephant man. Things were going ok after they gave me the steroid and anti histamine shots. Problem was that they decided to give me adrenaline as well. No probs when you get it into a muscle but they gave it directly into a vein. Bang! Thought my heart was exploding then went unconscious for about 30 minutes, out of body etc etc. Didn't know where I was for days after. Moral is: Don't go to A&E on 1st Jan or 1st July cause thats when the new staff are let loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Just out of hospital after having surgery on my left testicle after the doctor suspected I was suffering from testicular torsion.

Went into the GP at 10.00 on Friday morning with pain in left ball, could barely speak so just pointed at my sack and the nurse immmediatly got a doctor to come see me. Doc had one look and sent me straight to hospital for emergency surgery, in A&E at 10.30 and into surgery after some tests by 12:00! Fastest care i've ever gotten in hospital!!

There was a male intern that must have been doing his rounds for university or something cause the on-call doctor explained the pain was about the same as being kicked full force in the sack every second for the duration of the problem, which in my case was 4 hours!! I would never ever wish this pain on someone!

I've had a few other problems that required me to go to hospital but this one topped them all in terms of pain and fear! Especially when the doctors were reminding me every few minutes that there was a chance they would have to remove lefty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm more or less the same as Dudess, ie I had a proper full blown flu a few years ago. It was genuinely scary, I was in hospital for five days with it & more than once I thought I was gonna die.

Also along with Dudess on an ear infection. Last one I got probably saved my life!.. I had a abscess behind my right ear drum which burst through the membrain. On closer inspection (a camera up my nose and into my ear) the doc found a benign tumor in my Eustachian tube.. Three op's later and I can hear the grass grow :)

Worse pain I've ever suffered - GOUT!.. Not a pain like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I suppose Swine Flu but if it's the worst I get then I can consider myself lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Got an eye infection, went to the doctor and was given some antibiotics and some ibuprofen, sent home. The eye got worse over the next few days to the point where the slightest bit of light felt like it was burning a hole in my skull.
    The windows were covered with blankets to shut out the light, everything was unplugged so there would be no standby lights etc.
    Eventually made it to the Eye and Ear after a hefty dose of painkillers and a blanket over the head.
    Got treated like royalty by the staff there, got some injections into the eyeball/eye socket and got the right antibiotics, drops and some other stuff that was like glue. Couldn't see properly for a month.

It wasn't the most painful or the most dangerous thing that I've had, but easily the most difficult to live with. I have no idea how blind people do what they do.

• Advertisement

I don't know if ye count Industrial accidents as sickness but when I started working at sean I had a ships hatch cover crush my steel toecap boot - and the foot within.

After the various and doctors and surgeons got finished with me I now am one of the few people that can count to 19 & 1/2 when I take my socks off :cool:

I've a friend who lost the tip of a finger to a wood saw so he'sthe same, strange to have two friends in a small group of people who have minor amputations

I was circumsized, so now I can count to 9 & 1/2 too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Jesus I don't know if I'd call it being sick having read about some of ye unclean, walking dead, diseased feckers;)

I had chicken pox in the middle of my Junior cert many years ago. It was horrendously itchy and painful. The worst though was that I got it everywhere (and I mean everywhere). There was not a square inch of flesh that did not itch, even my eye lids, and by God did i scratch. My ball sack was the worst part, swollen and incredibly sore. I could not sleep for several days with the pain and still have severe scar tissue from scratching the bastard spots on my back and shoulders. I used to get the bread knife which had a blunt serated edge and run it across my back. It was absolute bliss at the time but my back and shoulders look like I have been flogged with a whip now with all the scarring. I was lucky that I did not get any scars on my face or arms.

Apart from that I lost my voice as a kid for two weeks from a bad throat infection and sliced my knee open also after falling on a piece of metal at school. Oh and spilt the tip of my middle finger in two. It was like a peeled banana, I could see the bone underneath. But operations and stitches sorted those out. Also knocked my two front teeth out after falling against a wheel barrow when we were building an extention to the house. Hmmmm come to think of it I was a clumsy bloody child!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

When I was 4, got encephalitis (sp?) - basically brain swelled up from the mumps. In a coma for few days, half of Dublin prayin 4 my recovery. When I finally regained consciousness, I couldn't control my limbs, so had to relearn to walk etc. Bout a month in hospital.

Tonsiliitis at age 12 approx.

Bout 14 yrs old, got appendicitis...folks thought it was minor, waited till it ws 'convenient' to bring me to the gp...who told my dad to bring me straight to hospital before the bloomin' thing burst. Think about 4 hours after the gp's visit, I was operated on. Agony!

Tripple whammy: ear, throat and chest infection all at same time. Prob was, I was in a musical show at the time, freezing cold backstage area, skimpy costumes. It was so bad that I had to lip-synch rather than sing in the chorus cos hadn't a clue how bad I'd sound if I actually produced vocals, lol.

Had an episode of vertigo few years back...weirdest thing ever. Worst was no relief from the dizziness when u closed ur eyes...brain kept spinning.

Got bronchitis 2 yrs ago, 3 months on bed-rest/house bound. 3 bouts of antibiotics, doc finally introduced steroids...and it cleared.

Scalded with kettle full of boiled water on my bare skin. Spent an hour in the bath in the cold water. Both lower legs worst affected. Like the worst sunburn times 10. Hardest bit was the worry about scarring, can't believe it healed completely. Dunno if that was due to the manuka honey I wore for about a week:rolleyes:

Does a slipped disc count? Couldn't move without feelin my back was about to collapse in two. Reachin over the sink to wash hands, painful, getting outta bed in mornin, painful, putting on clothes - 20 min task! Ws so embarrassin when I had to ask old ladies to reach for something in the lower shelves cos I couldn't bend down once I managed to get upright outta the car. More nightmare inconvenience than mega painful...until I moved suddenly or sneezed:-)

Usual food poisoning, flu, infections etc.

salsagal wrote: »
    Scalded with kettle full of boiled water on my bare skin. Spent an hour in the bath in the cold water. Both lower legs worst affected. Like the worst sunburn times 10. Hardest bit was the worry about scarring, can't believe it healed completely. Dunno if that was due to the manuka honey I wore for about a week:rolleyes:

I posted about this before.

I was a baby (few months old) and had a pot of tea poured over me, it fell from a table.

I can still remember being in hospital, the dressings and my arm's tied to the sides of the cot to stop me itching.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Had pneumonia two years in a row as a kid, just remember not being able to breathe. Spent weeks in bed, and it was the bloody summer holidays both time. I lost all concept of time, I remember asking my mum why all the kids were out playing at 6am, I'd slept through a couple of days and was all disorientated.
    Since then my lungs don't take too kindly to me getting colds, I'm very prone to chest infections.

There was the time I got laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, bronchitis and an ear infection at the same time, got it over Christmas and kept putting off going to the Dr.
    Unfortunately I had to go to the UK for 2 weeks training for work first thing in Jan.
    I was so ill, spent 2 weeks in a hotel room hoping I didn't die alone. Came home and went straight to the Docs, took 2 weeks of steroids and antibiotics to clear them, I slept about 20 hours everyday, it took me a month or so to get over the tiredness.

But the worst I've ever felt was when I got the Winter Vomiting Bug, could't even keep water down for over 24 hrs, lying on the bed hurt my bones, my hair hurt, I had to crawl from the bed to the bathroom I was puking green and black crap, and then still dry heaving for hours.The hospital was just about to admit me when I finally got to keep some water down.

I think the WVB was the worst I felt as the other 2 times I was too sick to actually feel how bad I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Ginny wrote: »
    Had pneumonia two years in a row as a kid, just remember not being able to breathe. Spent weeks in bed, and it was the bloody summer holidays both time. I lost all concept of time, I remember asking my mum why all the kids were out playing at 6am, I'd slept through a couple of days and was all disorientated.
    Since then my lungs don't take too kindly to me getting colds, I'm very prone to chest infections.

There was the time I got laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, bronchitis and an ear infection at the same time, got it over Christmas and kept putting off going to the Dr.
    Unfortunately I had to go to the UK for 2 weeks training for work first thing in Jan.
    I was so ill, spent 2 weeks in a hotel room hoping I didn't die alone. Came home and went straight to the Docs, took 2 weeks of steroids and antibiotics to clear them, I slept about 20 hours everyday, it took me a month or so to get over the tiredness.

But the worst I've ever felt was when I got the Winter Vomiting Bug, could't even keep water down for over 24 hrs, lying on the bed hurt my bones, my hair hurt, I had to crawl from the bed to the bathroom I was puking green and black crap, and then still dry heaving for hours.The hospital was just about to admit me when I finally got to keep some water down.

I think the WVB was the worst I felt as the other 2 times I was too sick to actually feel how bad I was.

Wow, nearly as bad as getting run over by a Volkswagon Beetle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i broke every bone in my body one day. stingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

kowloon wrote: »
    Got an eye infection, went to the doctor and was given some antibiotics and some ibuprofen, sent home. The eye got worse over the next few days to the point where the slightest bit of light felt like it was burning a hole in my skull.
    The windows were covered with blankets to shut out the light, everything was unplugged so there would be no standby lights etc.
    Eventually made it to the Eye and Ear after a hefty dose of painkillers and a blanket over the head.
    Got treated like royalty by the staff there, got some injections into the eyeball/eye socket and got the right antibiotics, drops and some other stuff that was like glue. Couldn't see properly for a month.

It wasn't the most painful or the most dangerous thing that I've had, but easily the most difficult to live with. I have no idea how blind people do what they do.
    You got a fcukin injection into your eyeball. Id rather die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jasus!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Fizman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I had AIDS there last week. I was feelin pretty bad so I must have had it.

Fine now though.
    Don't worry man, you can only catch it once.
    how do folk actually go back far enough to find a two year old thread?
    If it's not on the first half of the first page that's me out.

But for the record. Swine Flu. Yuck.
    You'd be surprised what people can do with google or even just the boards search! Really old threads pop up sometimes depending on what you want to find.
    karlog wrote: »
    I had an abra just now so i feel pretty sh*t at the moment.

I should've drank more before eating it.
    OK, you've got the abra, now where's the kadabra.
    Dudess takes it in the rear.
    Shocking!

For me, I dunno. I had German measles and what not when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had streptococcal throat and gingivitus at the same time when I was 9 :( Also had full on flu in September. I hate when people have a cold and are telling the world "waaaah I have the flu". No you ****ing don't! If you had the flu you'd bleedin' know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Never really been sick but I remember i drank some weird Russian vodka and the next day I couldn't get out of bed. I honestly could barley move. Paralyzed for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I feel as If I missed out on something because iv'e never been sick well apart from the self inflicted alcohol poisoning. Iv'e never even had the flu !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've been very lucky and can only remember been sick 3 times in my life, the longest been two days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not painful at all, but the injection made the eyeball feel bigger which is a strange sensation.
    I do wonder though what would happen if someone moved or flinched when the needle was in. Would it tear up the surface of the eye, damage the inside surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sangre wrote: »
    The sickest I've ever been is probably last week when I was fúcking my little sister.

I know this is After Hours but come on! That's taking things a bit too far imo.

For me the sickest I have been was when I had liver problems followed by Meningitis followed by Samonella as a baby. I was in hospital for the first 9 months of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

August 2009 I woke up one day and couldn't walk in a straight line. I kept falling and losing my balance. Then my voice started going. Turned out to be spinal damage in my neck. Came very close to being paralysed as it took a month before I could be operated on. The last few days before the op I couldn't stand up and if I closed my hands I had to use the other hand to open it.
    Had two ops - one in through throat and one through base of skull.
    Heres the xray of the finished job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've had Strep Throat - twice.

Probably the most ill, close to death feeling of sickness I've ever had in my life. Had it 2 years in a row (winter of course) and was literally in bed for 7 days straight each time. Couldn't speak, could just barely breathe and it was total agony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Apart from the usual childhood stuff,(mumps measles etc.)never really been sick in my life.

Any time I've been to the Doc in the last 30 years has been due to injury.

The worst was in Dec '93.

That was when I crashed my car into a wall, was thrown thru the windscreen & wound up in someone's front garden!

Blood & snot everywhere!:eek:

Luckily the lady of the house was an ex-nurse & treated my injuries till the ambulance arrived.

Honestly, only for her, I was a goner. I could literally feel the life draining out of me thru extreme blood loss.

When I got out of hospital, I made a point of going back there with a pressie for her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I had mono when I was a teenager. I just remember feeling like I was never properly awake and my glands in my neck were the size of golf balls.

It was a genuinely miserable feeling.

Advertisement