Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Beers 16th January 09

Options
  • 05-01-2009 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

There are at least a few people here who are likely candidates for a potential piss up somewhere in the CBD.

Register your interest below and tentative dates.

:pac: <=== Beer (or Jack Daniels in MAJD's case)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nono, I mean NOT Prahran... Though it's a fun spot. CBD best for me really. Seeing as I'm on a mainline train that drops me in the city, it's then a pain in the arse for me to have to get another train back out to the 'burbs somewhere, which is why I sookily veto places like Prahran or North Fitzroy. Takes me two hours to get to the pub, where I stay for an hour before I have to get the trains home again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Ooops misread your post. I was thinking it would be a bit of a hassle alright to get there unless you were planning on hitting Revolver (one of my favorite bars) and caning it until the sun came up and then getting the first train back in the morning. Anyway open to suggestions ...

Saying that, if a few people confirm that they'll stay out for the night, I'll happily book a room somewhere in the city so I can party happily until the small hours, crash for a few hours and get the train back home again...

Saying that, if a few people confirm that they'll stay out for the night, I'll happily book a room somewhere in the city so I can party happily until the small hours, crash for a few hours and get the train back home again...
    Sounds like a plan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Count me in. I vote for the CBD, Brunswick, Fitzroy or Carlton, but can make it out to anywhere really. A saturday would suit best but as I said, I'm flexible.

• Advertisement

Good one! At this stage the CBD is prolly the best bet to make it easy for everyone to get to (and back home) without wasting valuable drinking time. There are a couple of good bars in the city I know of that are pretty laid back and have more of a Fitzroy/Prahran buzz about them than a typical city bar vibe. Then again if you want slam I can do that too O_o

Sounds good. I haven't been out much in the city yet, everything seems hidden away and there are so many nice places near where I live. I'd like to be more city-savvy though. Teach me! :)

the dee wrote: »
    Sounds good. I haven't been out much in the city yet, everything seems hidden away and there are so many nice places near where I live. I'd like to be more city-savvy though. Teach me! :)
    So Mz Dee I take you live in one of the aforementioned suburbs?

I generally don't go into the city much instead preferring to frequent the bars in Fitzroy whenever I do actually go out. There are a lots of uber cool bars tucked away around Hardware Lane area and at least two Irish pubs within spitting distance so if you want to piss it up Irish style its an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Count me in, depending on the day.

Can we avoid Oirish Bars? Don't really like them and there plenty of cool bars in the CBD.

Can we avoid Oirish Bars? Don't really like them and there plenty of cool bars in the CBD.
    Most of them are pretty bad alright. Funny thing is you hardly ever get Irish people in them. Maybe somewhere like the Lounge on Swanston. It is a mixture of hipsters, students and a smattering of city workers thrown in. The music and atmosphere is usually quite good plus they do yummy food and jugs of beer quite cheap. There is another bar across from it which is pretty swishy that has a balcony as well. So many bars ... so little time!

• Advertisement

I've only been to one Irish bar in Melbourne - The Irish Times - and it wasn't too bad, comfy and quiet enough to have a chat.

I think I've passed that Lounge place while on Swanston St. Isn't it a bit loud and clubby? Or am I thinking of the wrong place? I'd have thought we'd want to meet in a quieter place first and then get louder as the night goes on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ Haven't been to the Lounge in a while, but the balcony is good if you want a quieter atmosphere, whereas it is loud as inside. Downstairs is more relaxed too, and from memory downstairs is free, whereas upstairs they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

can we do this for the 15th or 16th?

im supposed to be moving to sydney (yeah, plans changed again) on the night of the 16th, but can stall that to the night after if we can get plans for then. anyway, shall definitely keep an eye on this thread :)

the dee wrote: »
    I've only been to one Irish bar in Melbourne - The Irish Times - and it wasn't too bad, comfy and quiet enough to have a chat.

I think I've passed that Lounge place while on Swanston St. Isn't it a bit loud and clubby? Or am I thinking of the wrong place? I'd have thought we'd want to meet in a quieter place first and then get louder as the night goes on ;)
    The Irish Times is one of the few decent Irish pubs as it happens. Been there a couple of times and didn't mind it. Although its not the kinda place you would spend all night.

Lounge can be a bit doof doof later on Fridays and Saturdays. The downstairs bar seems to be more for people who want a quiet drink without people milling around and a DJ cranking out tunes. But I have been upstairs on a number of occasions and had a good enough time.
    can we do this for the 15th or 16th?
    I am supposedly booked up that w/end but if it sounded like things could go off amongst us Melbourne boardsies on either night I am sure I could swing by and catch some of the action. ;) Whats everyone else's movements that w/end?

the 15th, one of the 3 people i know in melbourne is playing a gig, so im dedicated to that, so im sure, seeing as i have no job or ties, i can hang around before and after it, i have a bed in... murrembeena, or if we're booking a room for the night or something, i'd be down for that, might have to converse with my frinedly local first, but aye, reckon im in.

The 16th would be best for me.

poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I will have a house party for all if someone can find me an apartment for next few months. Just arrived in melbourne yesterday, need to find something asap, hopefully a one bed apartement or studio. Any help????

beers sounds good. have no commitments as only got here so will try make it on any date suggested.

chris85 wrote: »
    I will have a house party for all if someone can find me an apartment for next few months. Just arrived in melbourne yesterday, need to find something asap, hopefully a one bed apartement or studio. Any help????

beers sounds good. have no commitments as only got here so will try make it on any date suggested.
    Awww man you do know there is a bit of a rental crisis in Melbourne at the moment? Cheap (and good) places are pretty hard to come by. Also you can expect to find a queue of people waiting to view any of the better places in the inner suburbs. Having said that a bit of persistence and looking in places where the in-crowd don't want to live WILL pay off.

Maybe look at sharing or short term leasing. Not sure what your story is or if you are only here for a short time but nearly all places through real estate agents will be a minimum of a one year lease. Check out notice boards in uni's or in places where students live/congregate such as Readings Bookstore on Lygon Street which used to have a large billboard offering rentals and shared houses/apartment.

Hope to see you at the Melbourne Beers when it comes together.

so really poll for the dates?

i gotta book transport to sydney for that weekend...

• Advertisement

16th is v. good for me...

so really poll for the dates?

i gotta book transport to sydney for that weekend...
    Melbourne Beers wouldn't be the same without our resident surfer chick.

Like I said I have something on that weekend but may be able to swing by depending on start/finish times ;)

16th is excellent for me also.

also, i should probably pimp my mate's band on the 15th here... but i have no idea what they're called or wehre they're playing, so nevermind that thought...

dSTAR wrote: »
    Melbourne Beers wouldn't be the same without our resident surfer chick.

Like I said I have something on that weekend but may be able to swing by depending on start/finish times ;)

haha, :p . yeah, twould be nice alright, specially cos ill probably be offline for the most part of being in australia.

16th is excellent for me also.
    OK MAJD can you please change the title of the thread (in parenthesis) to 16th of January rather than start a new thread?

sweet. ok, so assuming it's in the CBD?
    ill see if i can get to my mate's from there (assuming it's gonna go into the later hours?), and if not, will commit to bookin a room for the night (more than happy to sleep on the floor.. it's where i'll be sleepin at my mate's anyway :D).

sweet. ok, so assuming it's in the CBD?
    ill see if i can get to my mate's from there (assuming it's gonna go into the later hours?), and if not, will commit to bookin a room for the night (more than happy to sleep on the floor.. it's where i'll be sleepin at my mate's anyway :D).
    Lolz. Hook up a cheap room up on King Street (some places charge by the half hour) where the all-night clubs are. That way you can repair back to the hotel room trashed and proceed to get even more trashed on cheap liquor or go at it all night.

* Visions of past life debauchery coming back

MAJD, it sounds like the man has a plan. is it a plan?

Have changed thread title. 16th is a plan for me. Times? Locations to meet up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

dSTAR wrote: »
    Awww man you do know there is a bit of a rental crisis in Melbourne at the moment? Cheap (and good) places are pretty hard to come by. Also you can expect to find a queue of people waiting to view any of the better places in the inner suburbs. Having said that a bit of persistence and looking in places where the in-crowd don't want to live WILL pay off.

Maybe look at sharing or short term leasing. Not sure what your story is or if you are only here for a short time but nearly all places through real estate agents will be a minimum of a one year lease. Check out notice boards in uni's or in places where students live/congregate such as Readings Bookstore on Lygon Street which used to have a large billboard offering rentals and shared houses/apartment.

Hope to see you at the Melbourne Beers when it comes together.

Hey cool will give that bookstore a try and see what it comes up with

Advertisement