Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Beers 16th January 09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ok. so 16th it is? *starts looking up flights for 17th*

and apparently i can get the bus back to where im staying up til 4.30am, and my mate's promised to give me a few practise runs in finding my way from the bustop to her house, so i think ill have to pass on the rentin a room thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Its going to be a bit of a challenge logistically and making excuses for prior arrangements but lets see what happens. How about meeting at Young & Jackson Hotel opposite Flinders Street station and taking it from there? The bar at the side is usually quieter than the main bar. Would aiming for 8ish suit everyone?

Might be an idea to PM mobile numbers beforehand just in case myself or anyone else is late in joining proceedings and we have moved on to bar number two. Then again no-one knows what everyone else looks like so it might be a case of...

Me: Hi, I'm at the bar now. Where are you?

Crumble Froo: Sitting at the table right next to you silly!

Have changed thread title. 16th is a plan for me. Times? Locations to meet up?
    Thanks for that MAJD.

I'm def in. So far we have three confirmed people.

C'mon Melbourne boardsies. Get your swerve on and bring it to us live :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Young & Jacksons on a Friday night is a bit frantic. Anywhere a little smaller/quieter? Y&F has main bar, side bar, upstairs... reminds me of Messrs McGuire in Dublin in terms of 'impossible to find people'.

Young & Jacksons on a Friday night is a bit frantic. Anywhere a little smaller/quieter? Y&F has main bar, side bar, upstairs... reminds me of Messrs McGuire in Dublin in terms of 'impossible to find people'.
    Y&J gets the Friday arvo/evening city workers. By 7 or 8pm most of them have buggered off back to suburbia and the Friday night crowd haven't quite started filtering in. There are a few bars that wont be quite as busy but I was thinking we could hit them up later. How about meeting in The Irish Times on Lt Collins Street? It has never been too slam any time I've been there. Feel free to PM to organize the finer details or for my mob number. Same for Crumble Froo and anyone else who is coming along.

• Advertisement

so what kinda time are we in? with the exception of wandering around with my CVs, im at a loose end all day, so im good for whenever.

after that, ive always (y'no, the 2days ive spent there) found the CBD to be just so massively massive that ive avoided it for the most part... i can find flinders st station though. depending on whether my mate wants to come or not (twould be rude not to invite her, really), i may need someone to come and pick me up from flinders st station, or risk spending half the night texting me, asking me to describe my surroundings, and attempting to decipher that into directions to find my way to wherever ye are... which ill probably misread and get more lost from...

but i know flinders is one of the stations on the line from my mate's house. i think. it's definitely one i recognised last time, from the time before, but aye. ill find it. :cool:

after that, im generally pretty recognisable, people at most of the beers ive been at in dublin have walked up to me and asked if im crumble froo. kinda unnerving actually.

CBD is easy to negotiate because it's a grid. My first week here, I got a map and tried to memorise the main streets so I knew where I was - all you gotta do it get to a crossroads (there are many) and you'll see the signposts for what junction you're at.

The Irish Times would be a good place to meet I think - not least because we might pick up some lost Irish hangers-on, which could be funny...

so what kinda time are we in?
    I'm good to go at any stage on Friday evening.
    im generally pretty recognisable, people at most of the beers ive been at in dublin have walked up to me and asked if im crumble froo. kinda unnerving actually.
    Is that because you had a surf board under your arm? :D

As this is a public board and you are not too familiar with the territory we should organize via PM.

No dramas :)

CBD is easy to negotiate because it's a grid. My first week here, I got a map and tried to memorise the main streets so I knew where I was - all you gotta do it get to a crossroads (there are many) and you'll see the signposts for what junction you're at.

The Irish Times would be a good place to meet I think - not least because we might pick up some lost Irish hangers-on, which could be funny...

if i didnt know better, i'd swear you were talking about ChCh! though the grid thing bugged me, i'd come to a street, and remember being there, and think im going the right way, except the street stretched from the outer suburbs, straight through town, and out to the outer suburbs on the other side again :mad:

ok, so we're going to the irish times? cool.

OK roger that.

Crumble Froo you shouldn't have a problem finding Little Collins Street. Basically if you walk up Elizabeth or Swanston swing a left about the third street up and keep walking up you will find the bar. It usually has an Irish Flag hanging outside.

Map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is there gonna be a live video link to the Perth beers?! :pac:

dSTAR wrote: »
    OK roger that.

Crumble Froo you shouldn't have a problem finding Little Collins Street.
    Basically if you walk up Elizabeth or Swanston swing a left about the third street up and keep walking up you will find the bar. It usually has an Irish Flag hanging outside.

Map

famous last words :P

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is there gonna be a live video link to the Perth beers?! :pac:
    Surely forum geeks like us should be onto this. My only problem is that I won't be able to chat to anyone unless I have a laptop and am typing furiously :D
    famous last words :p
    OK Mz Outta Towner I have PM'ed you my mob number. Call me if you have any difficulties and I don't mean sexual or psychological ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Damn you all to hell. I'm out of town this weekend:mad:

Damn you all to hell. I'm out of town this weekend:mad:
    Don't fret. As long as there is beer there will always be another Boards Beers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I MIGHT BE INTERESTED....
    NOT TO SURE!!!!!!
    IS IT THE IRISH TIMES SO???? FRIDAY AT 8???
    ANYONE EVER BEEN TO BRIDEYS ON LT COLLINS AND EXHIBITION I THINK IT IS?

neon_glows wrote: »
    I MIGHT BE INTERESTED....
    NOT TO SURE!!!!!!
    IS IT THE IRISH TIMES SO???? FRIDAY AT 8???
    ANYONE EVER BEEN TO BRIDEYS ON LT COLLINS AND EXHIBITION I THINK IT IS?
    Looks like that's the go.

I've been to Bridey's in Brunswick and Chapel Street. Don't care too much for the place tbh.

See you there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Should we have some way of recognising each other? Some Aussie version of Carnation milk or something? We found each other through accents in Brisbane but there are a lot of Irish folk in Irish pubs in Melbourne :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

the dee wrote: »
    Should we have some way of recognising each other? Some Aussie version of Carnation milk or something? We found each other through accents in Brisbane but there are a lot of Irish folk in Irish pubs in Melbourne :p

If everyone writes:
    "Oh, Hai. I'm from Boards" on their forehead it should make it easy!

the dee wrote: »
    I shall be at the bar getting infracted by MAJD.

If not chatting to Crumble whom I'm told stands out in a crowd (look out for a surf board nearby).

• Advertisement

i shall be wearing baggy, full 'bondage' trousers, tassles and all intact, which are a black base with red/yellow/white tartan pattern on them. definitely a grey beanie (with a purple rim at the bottom), and tshirt yet undecided... probably black. brown hair, glasses....

no surfboard though. surfboards and beers are never a happy combo. well, rarely ever.

i shall be wearing baggy, full 'bondage' trousers...
    Harajuku stylie ... cool :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Bridie O'Reillys on chapel street would be a good spot to meet up , its a 40second walk from south yarra station.Shouldnt be too crowded and the food is great as well :D .

Elephant and Wheelbarrow on on bourke street in the CBD is good as well

One place that i was for after work drinks which is has a nice ambience to it and they have specials on as well. Is bear brass on the southbank behind flinder street station. Great spot.

map-southgate.gif

Sarge wrote: »
    Bridie O'Reillys on chapel street would be a good spot to meet up , its a 40second walk from south yarra station.Shouldnt be too crowded and the food is great as well :D
    The last time I checked Bridie O'Reilly's on Friday or Saturday it was a total meat market. Even though it is relatively big I always feel cagey in it for some reason. Must be that it is an old courthouse or something. ;)

We decided on the CBD because its easier for everyone to get to and we are not wasting valuable drinking time waiting for connecting trains. The Irish Times is only a stones throw from Flinders and there are lots of bars/clubs in the city should we feel like switching it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

dSTAR wrote: »
    Must be that it is an old courthouse or something. ;)

Its actually an old church :D

Sarge wrote: »
    Its actually an old church :D
    Ahhh that explains it :D

If we can keep our opening venue as The Irish Times, that would be cool.

Whitewashman is also coming along for beers on Friday.

If we can keep our opening venue as The Irish Times, that would be cool.

Whitewashman is also coming along for beers on Friday.
    Sounds good. We will have a heavyweight in our presence. Looking forward to it now. :cool:

Y'all remember to bring your 'four seasons in one day' clothing on Friday, it's due to be down to 22 degrees, from the rather breathtaking 39 degree high that we're supposed to hit today. Currently 27 degrees where I am, though here in the air conditioned office it's a rather chilly 19.

• Advertisement

Y'all remember to bring your 'four seasons in one day' clothing on Friday, it's due to be down to 22 degrees, from the rather breathtaking 39 degree high that we're supposed to hit today. Currently 27 degrees where I am, though here in the air conditioned office it's a rather chilly 19.
    The cool change seems to be pushing through now. Its better that it will be cooler on Friday. Can't have fellow boardsies [Edit: fo*****'s is a banned word!] dropping off in the heat after too many bevoirs.

Advertisement