Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing album of 2008?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so we have a thread for the best album, but what proved to be the biggest let down of the year just past?

For me it has to be the Cold War Kids follow up to 'Robbers & Cowards'. 'Loyalty to Loyalty' is imo a quite simply piss poor album and an insult to what preceeded it. I had high hopes of a strong follow up but alas it was not to be.

An honourable mention to Delays for 'Everything's A Rush' which I can barely bring myself to listen to any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Weezer - the red album

I don't know why I do it but I hear that weezer are recording a new album I get in a tizzy and basically scour the net for the tiniest bit of info until the album is released. I build my hopes up everytime hoping that weezer can record ~40 minutes of consistant music only to be bitterly disappointed come release day.

Now the red album falls into this perfectly. There are only two good tracks "the greatest man..." and "angel and the one". Then you realize they released a deluxe edition with four more songs two of which are easily better than anything on the actual album "ms. Sweeney" and "pig".

I keep saying after a weezer release this is the last time but no doubt I'll do the same the next time they are due to release a new album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

For me it would have to be The Hawk is Howling by Mogwai. I heard the sun smells too loud and thought it sounded great. I loved the opener as well but the rest of the album was just average at best. More of the same from them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

For me twas The Ting Tings (dont know what I was tingking!) and I'm afraid David Holmes (Holy Pictures, bar the first tune)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

It's fine, I suppose the word I'm looking for is meh.

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Pants! Pure pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bloc Party - Intimacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

JaneyMc wrote: »

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Pants! Pure pants!

I have to disagree with you on the Kings of Leon album, it took a while to grow on me but i did really like it.

I agree with you on the Bloc Party album though, very disappointing stuff!

Bryn wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you on the Kings of Leon album, it took a while to grow on me but i did really like it.

I agree with you on the Bloc Party album though, very disappointing stuff!

I'm not saying that it's not good, it's fine but for what it should have been, it's very disappointing.

It's very annoying watching bands who release amazing first and second albums slowly give up their original sound for a more chart friendly average sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It's very annoying watching bands who release amazing first and second albums slowly give up their original sound for a more chart friendly average sound.

Totally agree with you on this point. I guess the lure of money is just too much to resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was already disappointed by "Because of the Times" so didn't have any great expectations of the new one.

Beck - "Modern Guilt" - Beck + Dangermouse = not much of interest really. on the bright side, it is short....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

There was quite a few out there all right, but have to agree with creamy, the red album from Weezer was really disappointing, but kinda getting used to disappointment from them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Looks like I wont be buying the Bloc Party album then!

I'm a big REM fan but Accelerate really did nothing for me....all loud guitars and average songs, they should be mellowing with old age, playing pianos and acoustic guitars. Very disappointing :(

Was the Smashing Pumpkins CD this year or last year? Either way I only heard it this year* and another pretty lame "comeback" album from a once great band

*by this year, I mean 2008. Still living in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Kings of leon only by the night

and

coldplay vida la vida

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Pants! Pure pants!

also agree with the KOL, it's an ok album as albums go but i prefer bands not to stick to one sound for more than one album, KOL did just that with Because of the Times and Only by the Night. Ohh and Caleb is one dude who really needs to get laid :D.

i have to disagree with ya on the bloc party album, it's quite a nice listen and it's always good to see a band who isn't afraid to change their sound from album to album :)
    There was quite a few out there all right, but have to agree with creamy, the red album from Weezer was really disappointing, but kinda getting used to disappointment from them at this stage.
    if only we could "cmd + z" 2001 onwards with weezer :P
    Was the Smashing Pumpkins CD this year or last year? Either way I only heard it this year* and another pretty lame "comeback" album from a once great band

*by this year, I mean 2008. Still living in the past!
    pumpkins was 2007 i'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

The Verves come back album wasn't the may best...Only had 2 tracks that was up to the standerd of their older stuff...

The Charlatans and Oasis album were let downs too...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Ben Folds- Way To Normal

There are a few ok tracks on it but overall it's just pants really. Bring back the 5 damnit!!

also, the Kings of Leon album has to be the cheesiest album of the past 10 years. They are a parody of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

I forgot to mention, Black Rebel Motorcycles album "The effects of 333" was muck, if they were playing it in my back garden I'd close the curtains...Waste of 6 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Have to disagree with what people are saying about KOL and Bloc Party. I think both albums are a fresh change from what I was expecting. It took me a little longer to get into both albums because of the new sound but fair dues to them both for progressing on a bit from their older sound, more so Bloc Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Doozie wrote: »
    For me twas The Ting Tings (dont know what I was tingking!) and I'm afraid David Holmes (Holy Pictures, bar the first tune)

Have to go along with David Holmes. Its a decent album but somewhat underwhelming after the amazing single.

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Pants! Pure pants!

KOL was definitely the most overhyped. "Meh" is pretty much how i've always felt about them, this didn't change anything one way or the other. Bloc Party i've never really got but heard good things about this album, so decided to give it a go. Its ok in parts but don't think i'll ever be a fan.
    I'm a big REM fan but Accelerate really did nothing for me....all loud guitars and average songs, they should be mellowing with old age, playing pianos and acoustic guitars. Very disappointing :(

No! Why?? To make another Around The Sun? God, how that album sucked. Accelerate is an average album by REM standards, which still makes it a good album my most band's standards. I do wish they would pack it in now but better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

No! Why?? To make another Around The Sun?

I dunno theres just something not right about guys who are almost 50 playing loud rock music. Only Neil Young can get away with doing it :D

I just don't want them to turn into a group of Mick Jaggers

I havent got the KOL album yet, whats the deal with it, have they gone too radio-friendly??

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

I havent got the KOL album yet, whats the deal with it, have they gone too radio-friendly??

The single is called "sex on fire"......... I rest my case. You should see the video :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

KoL's was a little disappointing, but it wasn't the worst this year at all.
    Bloc Party's was pretty cack.

And Coldplay's promised so much in the early interviews and such, stating they were "going a totally different direction" and didn't want to go in the same vein as they had before. I loved their first album - still do, but they died after it. When I heard they were going either "african folk" or "electronica" (Q magazine), I was geniunely interested again. And then that VLV sh*te was released. Now THAT was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I just don't want them to turn into a group of Mick Jaggers

Amen to that! That's why I think it would be a good idea for them to call it quits now, while they're still (just about) ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Late of the Pier, Killers (can't get into it at all) and The Streets

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Kol album

Rubbish

Oh and We Are Scientists, Brain Thrust Mastery. It's okay, few good tunes just not a patch on With Love and Squalor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Accelerate by REM.

That balls to the wall thing didn't even work at the peak of their powers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

KoL
    Kanye West

both ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I'm a huge Bloc Party fan but I was a tad disappointed with Intimacy. It's still got some very good songs though and I'd still give it a 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

I don't understand the negative opinionson Bloc Party's Intimacy. I think it's genius. After the first two tracks - which would have been better if Kele's vocals weren't on them - every tracks is great.

Signs, Trojan Horse, Talons, Biko and Better than Heaven, Zepherus are career highlights,

Halo, One Month Off, Ion Squared - all very good.

Contendor for album of the decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

not that I was expecting much but MGMT's album is very over-rated. Apart from the singles I can't name a songs that I would listen to again.

Advertisement