Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing album of 2008?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

column wrote:
    I don't understand the negative opinionson Bloc Party's Intimacy. I think it's genius. After the first two tracks - which would have been better if Kele's vocals weren't on them - every tracks is great.

Signs, Trojan Horse, Talons, Biko and Better than Heaven, Zepherus are career highlights,

Halo, One Month Off, Ion Squared - all very good.

Contendor for album of the decade

A lot of the songs have very pleasant* sounding hooks. But it's pure background music. I'd listen to it if I was out running or programming or something where I wanted something that wasn't too distracting but I wouldn't listen to it for its own enjoyment's sake.

*Pleasant in the sense that the sound of a spoon hitting wet mashed potato sounds pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Stark wrote: »
    They sound pleasant. But it's pure background music. I'd listen to it if I was out running or programming or something where I wanted something that wasn't too distracting but I wouldn't listen to it for its own enjoyment's sake.

I only ever listen to music for enjoyments sake. I dont use background music unless I have a dinner party and even then it's only the very bast like Massive Attack or Tori Amos.

didn't think you refering to BP,

it's stands up to intense listeing on headphones. Signs is possible the best song I've heard in years. Amazing production, minor-chords, unusual melody and lyrics that are so personal that you think Kele is singing to you....

I advise everyone to listen to it on headphones. Great melodies well produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'Mercury' is quite possibly the most annoying song of 2008, only rivalled by the Ting Tings.

'Halo' is imo the only decent song and overall the album is a pile of piss in comparison to the first record.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

column wrote: »
    I only ever listen to music for enjoyments sake. I dont use background music unless I have a dinner party and even then it's only the very bast like Massive Attack or Tori Amos.

Hence why it's a **** album.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

definitely Bloc Party, plus honourable mentions for I'm from Barcelona and Coldplay.

Have to say that KOL is a grower. As for the Red album I think that the 2,3 & 4th song are brilliant - but the rest is decent - but I'd my expectations lowered so much by their recent offerings it wasn't disappointing

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    'Mercury' is quite possibly the most annoying song of 2008, only rivalled by the Ting Tings.

'Halo' is imo the only decent song and overall the album is a pile of piss in comparison to the first record.

Mercury is indeed terrible. I agree that it isn't as good as Silent Alarm but not many albums are. I stand by my comments above. There are 6 great songs on this album and 3 very good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Guns N'Roses...its like Robbie Williams on helium and with some guitars thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Kanye West, most RNB is crap, 90% total crap, 10% excellent and I thought Kanye West could be the first to do a good RNB (or whatever you wanna call it, rap, hiphop) is ages, but no dice!

Kanye West, most RNB is crap, 90% total crap, 10% excellent and I thought Kanye West could be the first to do a good RNB (or whatever you wanna call it, rap, hiphop) is ages, but no dice!

Love Lockdown is pretty good - I think

Ya the single, Love Lockdown is good, but the album, 808s & Heartbreak isn't good I think! I think he does try to be different, experimental, unique etc, but I'm not so sure. I am just listening to it on deezer again, first track is better than I thought before . . . Maybe I will change my mind . . .

• Advertisement

yeah.... a full album of auto-tuned vocals would grate

And I think an honourary mention must go to Britney, even amongst the guitar / rock orientated albums already mentioned in here, surely if her single and video (which MTV gave her awards for) was that s##te, surely the album must be contender for most disappointing of the year? Although if you were one that had no expectations of it in the first place, then maybe it doesn't qualify as disappointing.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, just noticed this was Alternative & Indie, so sorry if Britney's being mentioned here offends anyone! But then again, surely she is alternative now . . .

It might deserve a mention in the general Music forum but the sign on the door says Alternative & Indie so can't imagine anyone giving a crap about, or even Kanye for that matter.

It might deserve a mention in the general Music forum but the sign on the door says Alternative & Indie so can't imagine anyone giving a crap about, or even Kanye for that matter.

Ya alternative means . . .

Ya alternative means . . .

Not pop and not R&B I'd imagine seeing as they are properly defined genres.

You're not suggesting that Kanye West and Britney Spears are alternative and should be in this forum? Surely not?

Not pop and not R&B I'd imagine seeing as they are properly defined genres.

You're not suggesting that Kanye West and Britney Spears are alternative and should be in this forum? Surely not?

No, didn't see that it was alternative in indie, just saw most disappointing albums of 2008 on front page, so I edited my post to mention this.

Kanye's album, and music in general is 'alternative' to most other hiphop, and britney is so out of it right now, she could nearly be .. .. .. (only jokin .. .. ..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Guns N'Roses...its like Robbie Williams on helium and with some guitars thrown in.

Jebus Christ in heaven! That bad!!??:eek:
    Axl should just join up with Velvet Revolver, I hear theyre lookin for a singer :D Would be proper Guns N Roses line up then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Skeletal Lamping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I'll go with the Black Kids' album (can't remember what it's called). The EP promised so much then they went and overproduced everything and it ended up shockingly bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

We are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery..... in comparison to the debut 'with love and squalor' this album wasnt really upto much at all... shame really, good live band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Oh and We Are Scientists, Brain Thrust Mastery. It's okay, few good tunes just not a patch on With Love and Squalor.

**** just saw this now... ahh well i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moved from Alternative & Indie. This is one of those general threads which is inevitably going to end up veering away from A&I (as it has already done) - even if not intended to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

loyatemu wrote: »

Beck - "Modern Guilt" - Beck + Dangermouse = not much of interest really. on the bright side, it is short....

Amazing what some people hate, another loves. To me, this was one of the albums of the year...horribly under-appreciated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

andyl222 wrote: »
    We are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery..... in comparison to the debut 'with love and squalor' this album wasnt really upto much at all... shame really, good live band.

From the two singles it seems the lack of Michael makes a big difference, he did some interesting drum work on the first album. New stuff sounds bland in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

2008 was awash with disappointments.3 worthy of a mention....Metallica - Death Magnetic. GNR - Chinese Democracy. Bloc Party - Intimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The Kings of Leon album was a load of tripe.

The first album in 2003 was my album of that summer and also liked the second album. I was really looking forward to it after the disappointment of the third album.

But the last two...am sorry..and now I cant understand all the hype. I think they have totally lost their way.

"Chinese Democracy"- dont now what the hell that is all about. 10 years too late and serious identity crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

The Kings of Leon album was a load of tripe.

The first album in 2003 was my album of that summer and also liked the second album. I was really looking forward to it after the disappointment of the second album.

But the last two...am sorry..and now I cant understand all the hype. I think they have totally lost their way.

They didn't just lose their way, they lost the co-writer they had on the first two albums, hence the decline in quality in the latter two. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

No one's mentioned Snow Patrol (I dont think!) so Im puttin it out there. Besides Take Back the City and Crack the Shutters, there new album was SUCH a disappointment!! I genuinely feel devastated about it!! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

but snow patrol were always ****e. sorry you had to find out like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Chinese Democracy, surely after all those years G'n'R could have come up with something better than that. Closely followed by Dragonforce's Ultra Beatdown. Possibly the most formulaic album I've ever listened to.

Advertisement