Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car stuttering when starting

• 05-01-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This just started happening over the weekend.. When the car is starting the car stutters a bit and will only car if i pump the accelerator,

What could it be ?

My 1st thought was the spark plugs need replacing, But I dont know anything about cars really.

Just to add once it's started it's fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi all,

This just started happening over the weekend.. When the car is starting the car stutters a bit and will only car if i pump the accelerator,

What could it be ?

My 1st thought was the spark plugs need replacing, But I dont know anything about cars really.

Make/Model/Engine size?

My initial thought would be plugs or possibly coil(s), but I'm certainly no mechanic. Further vehicle details may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

sorry never thought of giving them lol

Nissan Almera sport
    Year: 99
    Engine size 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Any one of a number of things could be causing this. Poor/no spark, faulty engine sensor, dampness, etc, etc.

You're probably best off having it checked out rather than replacing parts based on speculation.

Ya,, i just booked it in for a full check with my mechanic

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi all,

What could it be ?

NeVer - what did your mechanic say was the problem with your car?

I ask as mine (00 1.5 Almera) has been doing the same thing for the last few months. I've been managing to get it started ok (by pumping the acclelerator - same as you) and when going, its no prob. I've been doing about 500 miles per week in it - with lots of stops & starts.

New noise in it 3 days ago - a bit of a whine. Brought it in for service, etc. Didn't want it to break down and me miles from home.

Was told needs new timing chain, better still a new engine - stuttery starts dues to low compression (a leak somewhere?). Power problems in 2nd-3rd gear accelerating (also compression?).

Went to collect car today - decided to use it as the 2nd car run around for next couple of weeks until buy another car (school runs, etc).

Now the mechanic can't start the car at all, its still outside his shop - he says they didn't touch it! I'd already decided it not worth cost of replacement - but had least thought I'd get another few miles out of it.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Unfortunately this is a common fault on petrol Nissans with timing chains.

I dont want to sound like a pr!ck but you asked for trouble leaving it a few months before you got it investigated. Dont mean to rub salt into the wound :o

Did they carry out the service, investigated the noise and now it wont start?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

Healyc wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is a common fault on petrol Nissans with timing chains.

I dont want to sound like a pr!ck but you asked for trouble leaving it a few months before you got it investigated. Dont mean to rub salt into the wound :o

Did they carry out the service, investigated the noise and now it wont start?

Thanks!! I know now all about Nissan timing chains after all I've read .... it all makes perfect sense. Wish I looked at www.boards.ie a few months ago!!

I DID have the stuttering & sluggishness investigated - at 2 different shops. I also had air sensor (?) changed (twice), new battery, changed spark plugs, etc. I'd get my car back, told all was ok with it. It would run ok for a few weeks and then back to its usual poor performance.

I went to a different mechanic last time to see if he could figure it out - even pointed him towards the timing (I didn't know at this stage if it was a belt or chain). He came up with Zero - other than change an air sensor & the plugs (at least now I know never to go back to him again)

So back to my original mechanic this time round and where it's at now - he said they didn't touch the car so no service was done. They ran some diagnostics and came up with the poor compression answer. And said then they couldn't re-start it.

I drove it in there Thurs last no problems - I'd been out & about in it all week. Stopping & starting it lots of times. And I drive about 400-500 miles per week. But I'd just heard another noise, when car starting from cold, so thought it needed checking asap.

I am told it needs a new engine, fair enough. But its not worth it so I'd more or less decided on getting a newer car.

But now car won't start at all at all outside his garage - I've to go back see him on Mon - he has offered me a runaround car while he looks for a new car for me. But I think I'll source my own this time.

What is a reasonable expectation? That at the very least a car that I drove in there, I should be able to drive it out again? I know it was only a matter of time but I thought I'd get a few miles out (like 1 mile to/from the school twice a day) until I find a new car

Well it needed a good service, He said my Oil was very low, But other then that when i got it back from the service I've had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DKearns

I have similar problem. Its a 2002 almera saloon 1.5. Engine management light came on. Got it serviced and checked on diagnostic machine. Mechanic said need new timing chain. Got second opinion and told need coil pack but I'm waiting to hear how much. Just wondering how much is it roughly for coil pack to be replaced. I'm hoping its nothing like the cost of new timing chain.

Advertisement