Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive to germany

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

So i am sick of normal holidays etc. Ive decided i want to drive to germany this summer for my holidays to stay with a friend.
    I know the ferry will cost about 300euro and the eurotrain will cost £50 pound each way. But what do i need to be able to drive in europe. i have a full licence with no points and i am a fully comp named driver on a bmw 520.
    Is their anything else i need? i intend to get aa european breakdown cover before i leave as well just incase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

All fluids topped up, tyres okay and pressures, bulbs all working and you have some spares, road maps, satnav...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Depending on the duration of your stay, your insurance may not cover you so contact your insurance broker/company!
    Many European countries require items such as a first aid kit, warning triangle, hi vis vest, etc. see http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eumotoring/compulsary.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if by any chance you are going to drive the "ring" and you happen to have a crash your insurance will most definately not cover it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Warning triangle, first aid kit (and a high viz vest if you're driving in France), the international (green) insurance card.

A photocopy of the vehicle licencing cert and a letter of the vehicle owner saying that you're authorised to drive their car would be good (but not compulsory).

In Germany, they don't use tax and insurance discs ansd carry a ream of paperwork instead. So in case you do get stopped or have an accident it won't do any harm to have the above with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Check to see if BMW breakdown cover is still valid (2 years from new I think) and whether that would cover recovering the vehicle to Ireland. If not, then take AA or RAC 5* breakdown cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

You need to carry the tax book with you. and an IRL sticker if the car is Irish.

You are highly unlikely to be asked for any of these (inc the items mentioned by other posters above) but you do need them ,just in case.

In Spain ,by the way , if you wear glasses, you need a spare pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    Depending on the duration of your stay, your insurance may not cover you so contact your insurance broker/company!
    Many European countries require items such as a first aid kit, warning triangle, hi vis vest, etc. see http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eumotoring/compulsary.asp

That list is woefully out of date/wrong; it has equipment as 'recommended' for France that is legally required for a start.

Headlight convertors will be required for a start, and for your own safety as well as meeting laws of the countrys you'll have to pass through; the stuff kbannon lists off above + spare bulbs + a fire extinguisher wouldn't go amiss.

rugbyman wrote: »
    You need to carry the tax book with you. and an IRL sticker if the car is Irish.

You are highly unlikely to be asked for any of these (inc the items mentioned by other posters above) but you do need them ,just in case.

In Spain ,by the way , if you wear glasses, you need a spare pair!

The one on your reg plate is sufficient (within the EU) if fitted - if you've got pre-Europlates plates you still need it obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

What is a "tax book"? - there is none in Ireland AFAIK.

To drive in Germany you need to have the Fahrzeugbrief, which is the VLC. Bring this orginal document along with your driving license and passport at all times. It *is* actually illegal to not have the Fahrzeugbrief AFAIK.

You also need to have a set of spare bulbs, warning triangle, hi visibility jacket (for France) and make sure your tyres are in good condition (i.e., not near minimum thread depth). Headlights should have deflectors fitted (you can buy these at the Europort in Folkestone).

Bring your insurance certificate and also evidence from that you have the minimum legal requirement of third party insurance while driving abroad.

You also should get AA european breakdown assist or else join ADAC. ADAC doesn't cover Ireland or UK but are quite cheap to join and will recover from any place on continental europe.

"the tax book" = RF101 licencing cert for a modern car. It was literally a book in the old days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

MYOB wrote: »
    "the tax book" = RF101 licencing cert for a modern car. It was literally a book in the old days...

Lol I still have the old brown one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Pete4779 wrote: »
    To drive in Germany you need to have the Fahrzeugbrief, which is the VLC. Bring this orginal document along with your driving license and passport at all times. It *is* actually illegal to not have the Fahrzeugbrief AFAIK.

To drive a German registered car you need the Fahrzeugschein (which is a smaller copy of the Fahrzeugbrief) at all times.

As this is nothing like the VLC (contains a lot more info) I wouldn't bother bringing the original (and risk losing it) ...a copy will do.

Your car is legal to drive in Ireland as is, so it's also legal to drive it in Germany that way for a holiday (provided you've got insurance that covers going abroad)

Bringing a copy of the VLC is only so that you've got "something to show" just in case, as German police are accustomed to getting handed all sorts of paperwork in case of a routine inspection. Your VLC has no real legal standing in Germany...why bring the original?

Passport is a must though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Make sure your sat nav has mainland europe maps - otherwise it'll be useless to you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Will have to call insurance company today and ask about driving in europe for 2 weeks.
    If they say no i have no problem changing company, im paying for the insurance anyways since i crashed moms VW bora in august and couldnt claim as i was only 3rd party named driver. The bmw was my gift to her. ( 7g loan :-( )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should be fine if its just for 2 weeks (as opposed to two months) but no harm in letting them know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Enjoy the drive, I have driven in France/germany/Benelux a number of times the roads are generally great.

In France the Hi Viz vest is a must now , and it can't be in the boot so do what most drivers there do hang it over the drivers seat.

Spare bulb set ( French police love pulling non-French cars over to check these just because they can )

DON'T speed in France it's an on-the spot fine and they will march you to an ATM . In Germany watch for speed limits on the autobahn's , most of them do now have limits, and often even if they don't there may be short bits ( ie crossing a bridge ) where there is a posted limit , my friends got caught that way.
    In Germany it's against the law to run out of petrol on the autobahn , so carry a can. Also WATCH YOUR SPEED on the autobahn exits , the turns are very very tight and many un-wary a driver has found themselves falling off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

oh yea, do aib atm cards work out their? i have a maestro laser atm card from aib and i dont have a visa so if it doesnt ill have to carry lots of cash and maby transfer funds to my friend before i go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sat Nav
    Beam Benders (Your lights are pointing the wrong way for the continent) you can buy them on the ferry fairly handy.
    Spare bulbs
    Warning triangle
    Luminous jacket
    First aid kit

Call your insurance and advise them your going to Germany, they'll usually allow 90 days max, also get a green card from them, you don't really need this, its just a translation of your Insurance details incase the copper doesn't speak english

Its an on the spot fine EVERYWHERE if your pulled over by a cop for speeding, speed camera tickets go nowhere. Just worry about being safe than staring at your speedo, you'll notice when your 'speeding' other cars will seem to be going much faster :)

Its illegal on the Motorways in France, Germany, Netherlands, Austria and so on to run out of fuel.

Your do not need an IRL sticker if your plates already incorporate the standard EU plate with IRL on it (You see a GB sticker on UK cars as some only have the plain yellow reg)

2Shae wrote: »
    oh yea, do aib atm cards work out their? i have a maestro laser atm card from aib and i dont have a visa so if it doesnt ill have to carry lots of cash and maby transfer funds to my friend before i go

Due to being a Maestro it should work - but if its got a Cirrus logo it definately will.

• Advertisement

Due to being a Maestro it should work - but if its got a Cirrus logo it definately will.

Depends on the Bank,

Sparkasse and Deutsche Bank always work with Maestro and Cirrus
    Some of the smaller ones only work with Link and some other honkey system. 9 out of 10 times you'll find one closeby though.

craichoe wrote: »
    Depends on the Bank,

Sparkasse and Deutsche Bank always work with Maestro and Cirrus
    Some of the smaller ones only work with Link and some other honkey system. 9 out of 10 times you'll find one closeby though.

True, should have added 'at an ATM with the Cirrus logo'. Which is most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Just head off with a reliable car and you will be grand. Don't mind all this warning triangle and dimmed light kits.

And don't bother with the eurotunnel. The ferry is very handy, much cheaper and you won't lose much time with it. Leaving Dublin at 11am using two ferries I could have been in Germany by midnight if I wanted.

Just head off with a reliable car and you will be grand. Don't mind all this warning triangle and dimmed light kits.

And don't bother with the eurotunnel. The ferry is very handy, much cheaper and you won't lose much time with it. Leaving Dublin at 11am using two ferries I could have been in Germany by midnight if I wanted.

Worst advice EVER given here.

Its an on the spot fine for not having the warning triangle in France. Its lethally dangerous (to other drivers) to drive at night without converted headlights - and its an on the spot fine for this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Worst advice EVER given here.

Its an on the spot fine for not having the warning triangle in France. Its lethally dangerous (to other drivers) to drive at night without converted headlights - and its an on the spot fine for this too.

Buying the stuff is basically a fine as well. Very small chance of you being stopped. You will only be in France for about 15 minutes if you are going to Germany.

I was fined in Germany for not having a medical kit in a rental car. The fine was a whopping €5, buying the thing would have cost more.

imagine how many people they are catching for the five euro fines though. They probly pocket most of it as well.

Buying the stuff is basically a fine as well. Very small chance of you being stopped. You will only be in France for about 15 minutes if you are going to Germany.

I was fined in Germany for not having a medical kit in a rental car. The fine was a whopping €5, buying the thing would have cost more.

Headlight convertors - 3 euro

Fine for not having then - 130 euro

In the case of these, buying them is an ESSENTIAL safety requirement, not 'basically a fine'. For the others, there is a legitimate reason as to why you should have them, any long-distance driver in Ireland should have them too really.

Your 'advice' is unsafe, stupid, and should be ignored.

I bought the entire kit for 15 euros in Aldi. First aid kit, Triangle, jacket. Worth it for the peace of mind that if you do get a flat tyre people doing 180kp/h will have some sort of warning when coming past.

Better off not having hassle with the cops too, also border control is quite common, i've been caught once or twice in a 15km traffic queue at the border whereby they divert all traffic through the car park and have questioning and search areas, langers spent ages going over my papers and checking the boot, plus questions like, how long i planned to be in Germany for, what am I going there etc.

Also been pulled over, but they were just checking for Drugs and Guns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Very small chance of you being stopped......... I was fined in Germany

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi OP,

Is the insurance policy in you name or are a named driver on your mothers policy?

It's been a while (6 years) but when I was a named driver on my dad's insurance policy I was only insured to dirve in the Republic Of Ireland. I did have a full licence by the way so it was not that. Just ask your insurance company o make sure that you are insured.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement